“Drug den. Dive. Awful.”

Hootananny
Hootananny
Ranked #415 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 20 April 2014

There is a man named Ricky from Ireland staying there who was keeping people up all night, talking loudly to people at 5am when they try to sleep. He tried to pressure me and another woman to snort coke with him and his delinquent friends. Funny that, as I saw a sign stating "quiet at 11" and "zero tolerance"? Also the living room is disgusting, battered settees covered in crumbs, everything stinks of old food, tobacco and whatever drug that man has taken. Get your act together.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sophie H

Reviewed 11 February 2014

It was cheap and that was why I booked it. The location is rather off the beaten track and I ended up spending more on the tube to get to historic places. I found Hootananny Hostel to be overall dingy and unkempt. It seemed some people were just living there and did not really run into any other travelers. They did have free wifi and I was able to use the kitchen. If you really have very little money and just need to get out of the rain then I would consider this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I think this could be enough to avoid this place.When my friend and I have reported to the office the presence of bed bugs in our room(my friend has woke up full of red points all over right leg and both arms) they just cleaned the room with a vacuum and throwed away some quilts ,which is not enough to be sure they gone.not clean at all, no reception which means you need to arrive before 8pm (20.00).Much better hostels for the same price or even less.Loudly due to the pub downstairs.

Room Tip: I think room number one is larger than others.Female dorm near to kitchen so noisy and overheated, n...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Hootananny has great atmosphere and very friendly staff. I stayed in the 6-bed female only dorm. Fun paintings and colours on the walls. Beds reasonably comfortable, bedding quite tatty. A lot of noise from live gig in the pub underneath. Showers and toilets old and kind of run down, but clean. Common kitchen OK. Breakfast and lockers included in the price. It feels safe. Quite close to the tube. I think that young people especially will find it fun.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Not sure why this spot is getting such spotty reviews. I actually liked it a lot. Cheap, safe, great atmosphere. If you're going for a romantic getaway, this isn't the spot. But if you're traveling solo or with a friend, it's great. Right above a live music venue, so it's a bit noisey, but good for shows.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 December 2012

this was the first time we have been here and we went for just one night. we were going to the brixton o2 which was only down the road. when we arrived the place had quite a few people doing the same. all of them were very nice and we all got on well. we then continued to go to the event with these people. after the event we all met back in the living room and continued to chat. the staff were all very nice including the manager who made us feel at home. Every person we came in contact with was very nice even the people staying for a long duration. The staff were even very flexable with when we needed to leave and said stay as long into the next day as we need

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Guys it is up to you!!!If you don't want to ruin your journey in London,which is so amazing,then avoid hootananny hostel.It is an old,dirty and noisy place.You cannot sleep until 3 in the morning because of the music playing downstairs.The rooms are quite good,but you don't have enough space anyway,because there aren't any wardrobe even if you are a longtermer.The toilet is old and dirty.The shower are too hot or cold.The most time they are cold.The breakfast in the morning is so poor that you cannot call it breakfast.I used to stay there for 3 month,as longtermer,and it was a nightmare!!!!!!the cleaner is never get in my room.Seriously,once a week I had to carry outside the rubbish by myself.We pay to get a room clean ,too.Sure the price is cheap,but it can't be otherwise.IT is really a bad place.When I got there the first days,they even get me wet linen.If you arrive after 8pm is a problem.,because the office is closed and in the bar downstairs often they are too busy to make your check in.I know people who stayed all night out because they got there at midnight and even if they rang the doorbell nobody answer to them!!!!!Of course they did not have their money back for that night.!!!You have just a little locker to put your valuables but I know several people who told me somebody open their locker(it is close just with a little key)and stole everything.It is never happen to me,but be aware!!!!About the zone ,you know,is not the ideal place to stay it's pretty dangerous,especially if you come back late in the night.It is full of weirdos!!!!I just don't want that other people have a bad experience like mine.!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo