“Birthday Treat”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Transit: Green Park Tube Station Hyde Park Tube Station We are in the heart of Mayfair, situated opposite Green Park and just a stone's throw from the West End.
Description: "Dining at the Athenaeum in London has been transformed with a glamorous, contemporary new look. Using the finest ingredients to provide exceptional quality, the menu features a selection of classic favourites and comfort food. A daily changing Table d’hote menu is served at lunch and dinner, which includes a traditional dish from the Carving Trolley, as well as the Larder at lunchtime, a sumptuous buffet of seafood, cured meats and salads. Cocktail hour has been reinvented with a selection of over 250 whiskies, as well as infused vodkas, innovative cocktails and delectable nibbles to share. New design, new spaces, a fresh new menu and a fabulous location, with constant attention to detail, the familiar faces of long-serving staff - and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. The perfect ingredients for a great capital rendezvous. "
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Hospitality and friendliness of the staff, excellent food and service in the restaurant would thoroughly recommend

There are newer reviews for Athenaeum

Reviewed 13 April 2014

A year ago we had a superb afternoon tea here and fully understood how it had achieved the 'Best Afternoon Tea in London' in 2012. Visiting again this year we were truly disappointed, especially as we had brought special guests for a thank-you treat. The standard of service has dropped markedly, and with it the rest of the experience has fallen away. Servers now bring a stand of sandwiches, scones and mini-cakes to work your way through where they previously brought and served just what you chose, frequently and freshly. We had our stand long before our drinks. They did come to pour more drinks, but left us waiting long periods, and had to be told that the tea was stewed, before getting fresh pots. The previous high standard of welcoming and caring service has been allowed to drop way down. They even tried to seat the 4 of us at a table that would take 2, or 3 at a push. Cakes I chose from the main trolley were dry, but otherwise the food was good. The cost would be acceptable if it was still 'the best' but now it is poor value, and, what a shame that 'the best' has been allowed to lose it!

1  Thank stella317
Reviewed 10 April 2014

First of all the afternoon tea costs about £5 more than advertised on the hotel website which was not a nice surprise. The sandwiches were stale, as was the chocolate cake. All the tables have jam and cream laid out on them constantly. The room is very warm and as a result the jam is so that barely any stays on the scones. The staff are not very attentive and quite aloof. The tea selection is good and my fruity tea was delicious but the food is horrendous. You are very much paying for style over substance. Overall I would say my experience was worth £20, not the £69 that we did pay.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I booked our table online but arrived an hour earlier than anticipated. This wasn't a problem as we had a few cocktails in the bar.

Our food was simply divine and served with such friendliness.

Now it may be the cocktails talking but I definitely felt very lucky to be dining here.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I had emailed Anthenaeum to book an afternoon tea on 21st March. They responded that they had availability, which I thought was great so I replied that I would see them there. However, on the day I did not receive any email or telephone call from Anthenaeum. Taking it as no news is good news, I arrived for the afternoon tea only to be told no reservation was made and that they were fully booked even though there was a slot clearly visible on their reservation sheet and the afternoon tea was completely empty.

I am disappointed that the member of staff did not email or call me to inform me that the afternoon tea was fully booked, especially as it was my birthday that day.