“First time to have the genuine English afternoon tea”
Review of Athenaeum - CLOSED

Athenaeum
Price range: US$24 - US$65
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Transit: Green Park Tube Station Hyde Park Tube Station We are in the heart of Mayfair, situated opposite Green Park and just a stone's throw from the West End.
Description: "Dining at the Athenaeum in London has been transformed with a glamorous, contemporary new look. Using the finest ingredients to provide exceptional quality, the menu features a selection of classic favourites and comfort food. A daily changing Table d’hote menu is served at lunch and dinner, which includes a traditional dish from the Carving Trolley, as well as the Larder at lunchtime, a sumptuous buffet of seafood, cured meats and salads. Cocktail hour has been reinvented with a selection of over 250 whiskies, as well as infused vodkas, innovative cocktails and delectable nibbles to share. New design, new spaces, a fresh new menu and a fabulous location, with constant attention to detail, the familiar faces of long-serving staff - and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. The perfect ingredients for a great capital rendezvous. "
Taipei, Taiwan
“First time to have the genuine English afternoon tea”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was our first time to have a traditional and genuine English afternoon tea while we were in the UK. I made a reservation just two days before the day we would like to go for it, which was lucky that there were still available seats for us. Service was so great from the beginning(very warm welcome from the reception) to the end when we finished our meals.

We selected two pots of tea, both were all good(waiters/waitresses would refresh them if they found the tea becoming a bit cooler), and the scones(two different types of tastes/flavors) were our favorite!! with the very delicious cream and jams(strawberry and lemon), and customers can eat more if needed. Also, the sandwiches and cakes were yummy. There would be another time to choose other cakes while waiters conducting this service during the 2-hour teatime period.

Overall, this was an unforgettable experience regarding the foods, atmosphere and service. We had a great time there, and highly recommended it!! (very good for a relaxed afternoon tea time, don't need to have a dress code) It was worth of every penny you spent.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank PTKKuo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Yerevan, Armenia
“Very good restaurant”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The meal menu and overall atmosphere is very good. The meal itself is very tasty and highly recommended to try.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Simply delicious....and fantastic experience!!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My family and I were treated to a first class afternoon tea at Athenaeum at the weekend. How different to some of the other reviews I have just spotted on this site and glad that I didn't pay too much attention to them. My husband and I have been very fortunate to travel to some beautiful hotels around the world and this experience lives up at the top of the scale for sure. The afternoon tea was presented beautifully and the flavour superb. The scones and banana cake were particularly stunning along with the VERY attentive staff. After visiting a few establishments in London....I would say ..... best one yet! Thanks to the hotel staff! They made my sisters 30th birthday very memorable indeed!

1 Thank Anne L
Scotland
“Exquisite!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The best afternoon tea I have ever had. Impeccable service & food. Wonderful choice of teas and endless offerings of scones and sandwiches.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank TravellingScot84
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Ridiculous customer service”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Besides the wonderful location across regional park, a minute walk from buckingham palace ,and amazing luxury shops a few blocks away the location is perfect!!! The customer service i must say at the front desk is ridiculous.... me and my husband stayed here for our first night in london and our first time at this hotels experience was wonderful but returning here and some inconvenience of our card which we have no problem at all of paying due to the weekend with our cards customer service was close and had no problem returning in the morning to pay whatever due guest services manager serena zandegu had the audacity to insult me and my husband and when i say insult i mean discriminating!!!! i must say we are never staying here or recommend anyone to stay here ever... Not getting into much details but i can end and say usually you would please your customers for a happy stay and to return again yet she did not at all make us feel that type of way at all...

4 Thank MRSG0314