“Book room on top floor!”

York & Albany Hotel
Ranked #668 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I LOVE Gordon and so chose this hotel but it turned into a nightmare! I had just flown in from the states and had a HUGE meeting early the next morning. My room was next door (shared walls) to a banquet room that was hosting a dinner party. I heard every word, laugh, cutlery hitting the china even with ear plugs. Opted to turn on the television to drown out their conversations but as the alcohol continued to flow so did the decibel of their voices. Rang the desk at 11:30 to ask when the party would be over and why I was placed in such a room when there was a party, no answers. I was not offered a free breakfast, cup of tea, nothing for compensation. Then after departing I reviewed my bill I was over charged by $100.00 dollars. Ouch!!

Wonder what Gordon would have to say to me if it was my establishment?

Room Tip: Pick as far up as possible to stay away from the restaurants and banquet rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DinosaurMom2

Reviewed 6 May 2012

My husband and I live in London, but decided to celebrate our anniversary by staying a night at the York & Albany, as we had heard such good reviews. We had a lovely time, the suite was very special, huge room, comfy bed and a wonderful wet room. Very efficient room service delivered hot coffees to our room and breakfast was also fantastic, the dining room so Cosy and the staff very attentive. For a tourist visiting London, I think the location is just perfect...20 mins walk into the West End,the bustle of Camden 5 mins away, and then the loveliness of Regents Park, Primrose Hilll, Hampsted and Belize park also on the doorstep. We would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emmajane34
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Me and my girlfriend had the pleasure to stay there for the weekend. The best room we have ever stayed at. Lovely ambience, close to the city and what a great atmosphere in the main restaurant. Wow will definitely stay again.

2  Thank Thomas P
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stayed there in November 2011. I have booked the suite which I thought would be suitable for two adults and one child. When I called the hotel, nobody asked me for the age of the child - assuming that its a newborn!
When we arrived it appeared that our suite is REALLY TINY! There was a double bed in the middle, and for my little one -they wanted to put a cot near our bed! When the receptionist saw our child, then immediately assured us that it will be sorted. It was, they put a tiny metal framed bed in our bed end. This tiny metal bed was incredibly uncomfy and noisy, so we ended up with the little one sleeping with us, not really something you dream about paying so much money for a 'luxury' hotel.
Tiny bathroom, 'antique' smelly furniture, not something I would like to see and use in a 'boutique' hotel. I am not sure if the room has been cleaned before we arrived, I found old packet of cookies in the drawer of the bedside table. After we went out to town and we get back, cookies have been gone, so somebody definitely searched through the drawers, I had strange impression that our stuff habe been searched through too... No comments for that...
The strangest thing was that when we got downstairs, the receptionist had completely NO IDEA where The Maze Grill is. We wanted her to call us a cab, but she had not a clue where this restaurant is located! Shame, Mr Ramsey should check maybe from time to time if his people do know who is he? That put us off, but after the night in the tiny bed, located just nearby the train passing by, we ate the worst breakfast ever downstairs. First of all, we have been ignored by all staff for first 30 minutes. I could not stand waiters and all the same people passing us by, not even asking what would we like to order. Shame, I had to go and ask the waiter to PLEASE finally bring us coffee and eggs benedict. Not really tasty, I think the worst I ever had. I was wondering if ham used to make this dish has been bought from the cheapest supermarket...No smell and plastic taste. Disguisting English muffin, not worth it! And then we had to pay for it, because BREAKFAST IS NOT INCLUDED when we paid £250 for the night. Ridiculous!
Overall impression for the York and Albany downstairs restaurant - filthy, the curtains have never been washed.
Definitely not worth the money wespend, please Mr Ramsay, pop in sometimes...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ColchesterMummy
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary on a Saturday night. As soon as we arrived we were treated like royalty and the staff could not do enough to make our stay special. We had our room upgraded, which had a great view of Regents Park. The room was wonderfully decorated and felt very homely, with candles lit on our arrival. We had the best mojito ever in the bar, and then proceeded to have dinner in the restaurant. The food was fantastic, with every course as good as the next. We found it hard to choose what to eat as it all it sounded great! It was very reasonably priced for top class food. Overall the hotel, restaurant and bar were amazing and we would highly recommend it to anyone!!!

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Holly on reception was so cheerful and helpful as were all of the people working there throughout our stay,We had the suite and could happily of stayed in the room, the bathroom was sheer luxury under floor heating a huge shower etc, the lounge in the room consisted of sofa, coffee table, leather easy chair and a large TV, a large desk and chair, a most comfortable bed, every single detail ie lighting, accessories, toiletries was perfect, as a surprise by our son and his gorgeous girlfriend it had been pre arranged for strawberries, dipping chocolate and a bottle of fizz to be waiting in the room for our arrival.
I would highly reccommend this hotel
A huge thank you to Gordon Ramsey and all of his staff for making our stay just perfect

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We booked in for our anniversary and were so well cared for. We had been upgraded to the suite on check in and things only got better from there. The staff couldnt do enough for us. The food was marvellous and the heated bathroom floor was good enough to sleep on. Well done Y&A - loved every second!!

• Stayed: February 2012