“It was "quite" good”

Ranked #494 of 1,064 Hotels in London
West Yorkshire
“It was "quite" good”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

3 nights and 4 days at this most convenient location 2 minutes walk from Earl's Court tube station. We took a room on the ground floor at the back of the house, which was very good and nice neutral decor. Size was reasonable, and equipped with all you would expect. There was also use of a safe, although it was loose in the wardrobe and not fitted. Flat screen TV, complimentary chocolates and 2 bottles of mineral water. Very quiet and peaceful so you get a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was included, and this was a buffet style hot and cold food. They were economical with their hot food and strangely kitchen staff would peer into the breakfast room literally every few minutes and replenish food with 1 or 2 extra pieces if anything was lacking, although choice and quantity was not great especially if you arrive later i.e. from 9am onwards. I don't think I would have paid the extra £10 per person if breakfast was not included in the room price - you probably would get a better breakfast elsewhere I would imagine.

On the second evening I told reception the temperature of the shower was tepid and not hot enough, this was never fixed throughout our stay nor any update was provided, which was disappointing. Showering was not a great experience, I got so cold, bath was so narrow and you could only have the shower head a certain angle to avoid spraying all over the bathroom as it had a very short shower screen (you know the type).

All in all fairly good value and if they fixed the shower for me, and if they reviewed breakfast it is a pretty sweet place to stay and I would consider coming here again.

Room Tip: Typical Georgian style house so attic rooms are smaller with lower ceilings. A room at the back of...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Finnish first
Lugano
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I am pretty sure that this was the smallest room I ever slep it. The ceiling was low as well.
There was no way to move in the room without hitting the bed: about 60% of the space was occupied from it. Good thing is that the bed was on wheels so that it would move away rather than hurt you. The bathroom was very small as well.
Other than that the room was clean and everything was in good shape.
The lobby was quite sad compared to the other hotels along the street.
OK for business or if you are not going to spend any "awake" time in the room. Otherwise I would not stay there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Younis72, General Manager at Best Western The Boltons, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Viclugano, thank you for your comments. We are glad that you found the room clean and modern. Please note as we are a London hotel some rooms vary in sizes, we do have larger rooms at different rates so the next time you come do request one.
We hope to see you soon. Thanks Wasim
Purmerend
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at THE BOLTONS Hotel for 3 nights this week.
First impression of hotel is good , staff are very friendly and helpful.
My room was furnished well and it had everything you would need however the room was very small. I could only sit behind the desk sideways. The bed was a bit shorter then one would expect. I am only 178cm and my feet were over the edge. The bed was comfortable which is important.
The bathroom was good.
I did breakfast twice and was not happy with the quality. The Scrambled eggs were very watery.

Free internet in rooms is perfect, no problems and reasonably fast.

Hotel location is perfect, 3 minutes walk to earls court tube station. Nice bars and restaurants in the neighbourhood.
I will definitely return

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TRIPSPJLEE
Younis72, General Manager at Best Western The Boltons, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Hi, thank you for your comments, we are glad that you found the staff very friendly and helpful and that you felt the room was furnished well. We do have many larger rooms on request so the next time you book at BW The Boltons let me know and we will allocate a larger room for you.
We have also noted your feedback regarding the breakfast and will be making sure that it will be at a high quality.
thanks again for a great review.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed at the Boltons for an entire week (for an exhibition in Earls Court), and had a great stay. It was a very pleasant surprise, as I was expecting much less for the price. Will definitely return again, for both business and pleasure.

Upon arrival, staff was very friendly and helpful. I upgraded to a family room for a reasonable fee. The room was compact (what can you expect in central London?) was arranged functionally and comfortably, was fresh, newly decorated, and extremely clean.

I stayed in the room below reception and the lobby, so did hear the occasional footsteps from above, but all was within reason and nothing really bothered me (and I am not too heavy a sleeper...). The room was serviced everyday, and was left clean and tidy whenever I returned in the evening.

Free wireless internet was reliable, and also presented a strong advantage.

I did not have breakfast at the hotel due to time constraints, but the location is also perfect, with plenty to choose from as far as restaurants, cafes and convenience stores within walking distance. Also of course, walking distance to the Earls Court tube station.
I can’t really point a downside. Perhaps if you are looking for hotel facilities (gym, lobby, etc.) this hotel is a bit shy on common areas. But again, I wouldn’t expect it for that type of price, and it does not affect the value proposition for me.

So, nothing to complain about really – had a great stay, and will be back again for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Ziv, Thank you for your kind comments, I will pass them on to the staff at BW The Boltons Hotel and they will be extremely happy.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel.
Manchester
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at the Boltons on business trip for 3 nights. The location is very convenient – 2 minutes walk from Earl’s Court tube station; plenty of cafés and restaurants around; quite street. My room was tiny but very clean and nice; free wi-fi in the room. The bed was comfortable; the breakfast was OK – nothing special. Friendly and helpful staff. I can’t fault the hotel really. Very good price: £139 with breakfast; a bargain for this location and standard.

Some bedrooms are much bigger than others; my colleague’s room was pretty big.

Room Tip: Some bedrooms are much bigger than others; my colleague’s room was pretty big.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Younis72, General Manager at Best Western The Boltons, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you for your kind comments, it's always nice for us to hear such nice comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I was here on business for 2 nights, I stay away very frequently and felt the hotel deserves the review. The reception light and airy the reception staff very friendly and welcoming. FREE internet access.... bonus, no problems with accessing. My room was on the 1st floor. with air con, I had a most comfortable 2nights sleep with comfy pillows and duffets, very modern, clean and well kept. A great choice for breakfast, buffet style either full English or continental what ever takes your fancy and as much as you like. the breakfast staff very efficient. Plenty of bars, restaurants in the locality to suit budgets, and close to earls court tube. i will certainly stay there again and recommend to friends and colleagues. good value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
West Sussex
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Earls Court/West Brompton/Kensington is such a mixed area for hotels, if you want to avoid the chains and some very high prices. So it took a lot of sifting through to find one I thought would fit what I wanted - a decent room for under £120 near to the exhibition centres.

I sent an email to The Boltons before my visit and they replied within 24hrs - usually a good sign of what to expect in terms of service.

There are several somewhat run-down and dated hotels in the same street as The Boltons and the hotel really does stand out as the one anyone would prefer to stay in. From the outside it is very clean and tidy with a traditional yet modern look. Once inside the reception is modern, simple but welcoming and the staff friendly and helpful. Internet access was free on request, both wired and wireless and I think here was the first time I have ever been asked how many devices I wanted to connect, and was given an extra passcode so I could connect both my iPad and laptop.

My room was on the third floor and there is a lift but it is a one person and one small case only affair - I wouldn't suggest trying to get anything over hand luggage size in there - it's about the same size as a traditional telephone box! New and fully functional though. On that note, many of the hallways are pretty narrow too, so I would definately only recommend for those travelling light!

The interior is modern, bright and clean, as was my room. A little on the small side but very nicely done with a kingsize bed and lovely big deep bath in the contemporary and well finished bathroom.

My room was at the front of the property, overlooking the street which is remarkably quiet for the location, hardly any traffic atall and the windows opened so some fresh air could get in, a welcome change from many of the chains with their sealed windows!

The bed was exceptionally comfortable and the pillows delightful - I sleept very well indeed.

Breakfast was good, buffet style with everything one would expect, along with helpful staff who had no problem making me my extra strong pot of tea which I appreciated.

Overall, the Boltons is an upmarket B & B as it does not have a bar or restaurant in the evenings, but with all that Earls Court Road has to offer a few doors up the road, that works well. I would definately recommend it for business travellers who want a change from the 'could be anywhere, they all look the same' chain hotels and for anyone attending Earls Court which is pretty much on their doorstep or Olympia (Olympia 1 stop on the overground from West Brompton - a 5-10 mins walk). I was travelling alone and felt perfectly safe and secure here. Probably not so good for families or those using a wheelchair as you would definately struggle with a buggy or wheelchair in the lift and hallways, but they may well have some ground floor rooms to cater for those needs, worth enquiring.

Room Tip: Tell them what you want - I asked for a room with a bath rather than just a shower and got a fab bat...
1 Thank aengusmum