“Second stay, just as nice!”

Best Western The Boltons
Ranked #507 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 October 2013

On our way to Florence, we decided to do a layover in London, Anthony Bourdain style. I stayed at The Boltons for a week or so last year with my husband and we liked the location so much I decided to re-book here for 2 nights with my daughter. We got to the hotel around noon, our room wasn't ready, but they quickly offered to hold our luggage while we got started on our 48 hour city stay. Can't say enough (again!) about this Earl's Court location. Easy walk to the tube, several restaurants, banks, markets within a block, a nice quiet neighborhood feel. This time we had a room with twin beds and they were super comfy. Best sleeping quality of our whole trip. The room was much more spacious than I had anticipated (last time we stayed in a ground floor family room that was also quite spacious). We did not eat the add-on breakfast at the hotel because we knew we'd be sleeping in late and could grab a coffee and pastry down the street for a few pounds. The Piccadilly line gets you to Heathrow in about 35 minutes and to the theatre district in about 10. Can't ask for more than that. We were greeted by the desk staff each time we entered and left the hotel. I felt very comfortable and safe there and will definitely stay there again on my next trip to London. I should mention that we had a fuse blow our first night as we were getting ready to go to the theatre. The management worked with us to determine the problem and fix it promptly, so we weren't late for the opening. Excellent service without the hint of a grumble. Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western The Boltons

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Spent 3 nights that got off to a rocky start. Arrived from the states after flying all night. Was told room would not be ready until 2 p.m. Though suffering from jet lag, we understood & tried looking a some sites rather than sit in a cramped lobby.

Returned @ 1:45 & waited for another 45 mins. only to be crammed into the back corner of the basement. No wi-fi, only 1/2 closet, NOWHERE for luggage but on the bed ... had to access baggage 1 at a time then stack on floor with almost no rm. to walk. After complaints & firm insistence, we were assigned to another rm. on an upper floor. Remainder of stay was GREAT! Hotel is VERY clean & well maintained.

Room Tip: Avoid the "basement" rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked this hotel for one night on business as the area was where I needed to be the next morning. Some of the reviews are a bit mixed so I was a little concerned.

However, all was well. We were greeted warmly on arrival and allocated our rooms without fuss. I had a single room (which I generally dislike simply because I prefer a double bed) but space wise, the room was fine. It was compact, and it had a single bed, but the room was by no means cramped and also had a desk and chair for working at.

The bed was comfortable enough, but maybe I'll book a double next time and just suffer the extra cost.

The bathroom was clean, modern and well appointed, clearly its been refurbished in the not too distant past. Shower cubicle only, no bath, but that suits me.

The hallways can be a little noisy but I wasnt troubled by any outside street noise at all. Earplugs are a good idea though if you are a light sleeper, you can hear other doors bang closed.

A decent flat screen TV and tea and coffee making facilities in room completed a reasonable package. WiFi was free which is always excellent and they gave 2 passcodes for 2 devices, again, a nice touch.

Breakfast was buffet style with eggs being made to order, certainly enough of a choice but as noted on other posts, it's not pork bacon thats on offer. No real issue for me.

Overall, I'd certainly stay here again when back in the area but a double room would be better if you are staying more than a single night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for an event at Earl's Court. The hotel was 2 minutes from the venue, which was great.

The staff on reception were very friendly. Though I did not need a great deal from them!

The hotel was clean, and the bedroom more than adequate. There was no noise or light from the outside - we stayed on the first floor. The bed was also very comfortable, and there was plenty of room.

I usually dislike most hotel bathrooms. However this one was a good size, with a decent shower and bath, with plenty of towels....

I would definitely book again if I was in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Reluctantly I booked a single room - financial logic. I like a bit of space when I travel and I know that single rooms in London can be little bigger than the bed shoved up against the wall. Best Western The Boltons is not like that. My room was on the second floor, and yes it was a single bed pushed up against the wall but I could definitely swing a cat in the room. There was a desk, room for a bag stand with the bag on it, there was a wardrobe and a decent bathroom with room to move.
Breakfast was very decent. There was a selection of cereals, fruit, toast and hot food. Sure you will get a larger variety in a bigger hotel but for this size place it was just right.
On the negative side:
1. The lift is like a shoe box, one person, one case, full. It may also take some time to arrive given it is the only lift.
2. Because the bed is against the wall there is only one way on or off, which also happens to be a convenient place to sit. There is therefore a bit of an inclination towards that space when you are trying to sleep. Only a minor issue though.
3. Street noise, especially in the early hours from those dreadful tourists, is very audible.
On the plus side:
1. The window opens, I love fresh air, on to a shared balcony so if your neighbour is not your travel partner...
2. Proximity to Earl's Court station, shops, coin laundries and the decadence of a therapeutic massage salon for those aching legs and feet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and would book again any time. It is a small building, lift and rooms but very high quality, modern, clean and friendly. The bed was really comfortable and the room airconditioned. The breakfast selection included almost everything. We had a room facing the street, but it was quiet so this was not any problem.
It is 2 min walk from Earls court to the hotel and there are lots of opportunities to get something to eat in the area. If you would like to book a tour of any kind, like for example hopon and off bus, you can do this at the reseption. They are very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I chose this hotel for a one night stay for a theatre trip in September. Wanted a good location after recently staying in Shoreditch (avoiding central London prices) and finding the Shoreditch area a bit grotty and full of "characters" late at night. The location of the Boltons is great - a quiet residential street with other B&Bs/hotels, but a very short walk from Earls Court tube and shops (inc many chains: Byron Hamburger, M&S Simply Food, Costa, Cafe Nero, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Zizzis, Wagammas, plus lots of independents). Perfect! Also brilliant if you're visiting an event at Earls Court.

The room we were given was on the lower ground floor, amongst a bit of a rabbit warren of corridors and rooms. Our room had a window onto an internal light well, so could have had a better aspect, but this was fine for one night. The furniture/decor was all a very high standard - very clean and of good quality. The bathroom had a spacious corner shower, large basin and toilet. All very high spec. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided (tray in wardrobe) with good quality beverages on offer.

Staff on the front desk were friendly and helpful, not that we had cause to ask them very much, but still it was nice to be greeted with a smile and a hello when you return to your room etc. This was refreshing after so many hotel staff don't even give you the time of day. We didn't have the breakfast (an additional £10pp when not included in the room rate), as we thought we'd just get something from M&S, but unfortunately the store just round the corner from the hotel doesn't open until 12pm on a Sunday so we would have had to wait a while to buy something!

All in all, a very pleasant stay. I would definitely stay again when visiting London, but would request a room on an upper floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the lower ground ground floor/basement in the hope of getting a window.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple