“A Mess!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
“A Mess!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Firstly check in is a 15 minute walk from where you need to be,

when we walked in the place is a building site!!!!!!!!! And when finally coming across our room, which was no signed for, it smelt like damp!!

The place has fixtures and bits missing and some bits where you can see they are doing the place up, they should really not have people staying in this place. Especially with a 6 week old baby, I was no impressed!!!!

We were in a basement room with our bed cramped up under the window (the place is small but I can deal with that) which backs into a patio area at the front of the building, to have at 10 am a man saw with an electric saw wood outside the window, so bits of sawdust coming in, not able to hear my self think, my baby woken, and an awful noise coming and going.
When I phoned reception which took 3 attempts for them to answer, they said they would send someone over to find out the problem and was quite rude, said that they didn't understand what I was talking about, even though he could hear the sawing as we were on the phone.
Then 2half hour went by and it was still king on, where I phoned again to have another guy just palm me off and said If I had already made a complaint it must be being felt with, both phone calls no sympathy or apologies for what was happening.
15 minutes later (sawing still stopping and starting) i hear that the builder has been phoned by reception, as i hear my room number being mentioned and some laughing, (didnt get the whole conversation as was speaking a different language) the builder then knocks on the door, and tells me that he's been doing it for ages already, why was I only just complaining about it, and says he has to do it, with no apology again. So on saying that I had a 6week old baby and i complained when it started he eventually said fine and went to the ground level instead of outside my window, where I could still hear the saw quite loudly.

The pictures are false to how the room actually looked, I am appalled that they actually let people stay in the accommodation in its current state.

We even had appliances in the room that didn't work. Not very happy at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank H3th3ar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

BOILING HOT! We once stayed last year and had an awful time, but due to the location we thought we would give it the benefit of the doubt and try it again BAD IDEA!! Mezzanine rooms are a HUGE NO! Do not do it during the summer especially if you have asthma or hard of breathing! No fans, ventilation or airconditioning!! BUT MOST OF ALL, The dirty carpet was repulsive of which I have taken photos of and will be sending to booking.com, this compelled me to sleep on the laminate floor; extreme but necessary because even the sofa has stains on it (also took photos of this)! The bed itself was just a mattress on the floor, unclean sheets and no way big enough to be considered a double for a couple and the ceilings were so low my partner had to walk bent over. And as for NOISE! It was all night long. I am from London so I am used to noise at night but not like this!! The windows look out on to other rooms of which all had windows open and lots of noise. There are NO STAFF until 8.30am so I was unable to politely request them to ask if the noise could be reduced. NO STAFF at all, all night, to me is a hazard in itself! THIS IS NOT 4* AT ALL!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily H
CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

I'm a frequent business traveler and when in London, always stay in apartments. Hyde Park Apartments are located in Inverness Terrace, next to the bustling Queensway shopping/restaurant district. That was one of the few redeeming features about this place; the location is perfect, just a couple of minutes walk from Bayswater tube station and many great restaurants. The only other positive was the speed and reliability of the free wifi connection, which was unexpectedly good.

But the apartment itself was a huge disappointment, even by London standards. First, there was no washing machine in the apartment. The laundry room downstairs comprises two washing machines (one of which was broken), and both are coin operated. It took three calls to the front desk (which is located in another building down the street) before I was even able to find the laundry room, as nobody seemed to know where it was.

The apartments are sparsely furnished (although acceptable if you like Ikea furniture), grotty and have extremely thin walls, so take ear plugs if you want to sleep at night. Unlike the far superior Marlin and GoNative apartments that I usually book in London, there was no dishwasher, no complimentary tea/coffee, no garbage bags, and a makeshift couch that was too uncomfortable to sit on.

If you're planning to rent an apartment in London, then check out the excellent Marlin and GoNative chains. The only reason I stayed in Hyde Park Apartments this time was because Marlin and GoNative were booked solid. Never again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank aconnecticuttraveler
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Stayed July 2012 , good location but very crampt room, very noisy staff and rubbish outside room no privacy at all! Would not recommend by any means!!! Had to move microwave in order to use kettle and had problem with noise in loo cistern!

Room Tip: No pool or fitness
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Catzzy
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed at 8 Craven hill dec 2012 and it was by far the biggest downer on our 2 month holiday to europe. We werent expecting 5 star accomodation but we were at least expecting a clean and comfortable place to sleep, unfortunatly we didn't even get that! The entire place is tired and run down, but even this could have been over looked if the cleaners did more than just change the sheets and vacuum the floor. Our douvee had blood stains under the covers which we only saw as the corner was sticking out, upon inspecting further the whole thing including pillows was VERY stained with god knows what bodily fluids. The receptionist tried very hard to help and after walking back and forth for 3 hours we viewed another 3 apartments at different locations but they were all equally as dirty and in need of maintenance. We are currently trying to get a refund for our 2 remaining nights so we can go somwhere with at least a genuinly clean bed. I only wish we had paid a little more and stayed somewhere a little nicer as this place has really put a dampner on london for us. I will post some pictures as soon as i can get our camera working, i promise they will turn you of staying at this hell hole.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Speedfreeeek
Barry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Disapointed in the standard of accomodation. Booked through late rooms notified it was a superior room, will leave the reader to judge. The location is excellent the cleaniness was excellent. hence the two stars.
The problems were NO Terrestrial U K TELEVISION, instead middle eastern free to view sattelite service. NO COFFEE PERCULATOR in the kitchen.
Minor issues were NO INSTRUCTIONS for the following
How to operate the T V and the channels availible
How to operate the micro wave/ oven
No indication where to switch the heated towel tail on
No indication where to switch the fan on in the shower room.
No shelf in the shower to place your items to shower with

Although the room was clean there was no lid to the waste bin next to the kitchen and the lid on the bin in the shower room was broken.
The blind on the window did not have the facility to adjust the slats, it was broken off.

Although there was an indication on how to report a fire, the place where to assemble in case of a fire was left blank on the notice.

The room was in the basement of the establishment which smacked at being a standard room not a superior room as indicated on the booking form

Cleaning was only undertaken before and after occupation so a stay of over two nights meant that the room was getting a little dirty.

We asked for a room to sleep three adults it just managed that.

If it had not been for the location the stay would have been a disaster, even though booking in was at a different address

Will look for alternative accomodation in the same location in future

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank johnamason
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

I booked an apartment for 3 people for one night. My friend emailed Hyde park apartments to see if we could check in earlier. Hyde park apartments emailed back to say that they had an upgraded as to a four bedroom apartment for free in their padding ton apartments. Sounds too good to be true, it was. The apartment was more suitable for a couple with only one double bed and a dodgy sofa bed.We were on the basement and there was a terrible smell all the time. They must have known as there were air freshener everywhere, which did nothing. I,m not sure if it was air extractor machine in our room, but it made a annoying noise the whole night and we woke up dehydrated.It was so bad we left early in the morning as we didn't want to even shower there.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends