“The reviews are right” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quidam Cirque du Soleil, The Royal Albert Hall, London, England - CLOSED

Quidam Cirque du Soleil, The Royal Albert Hall, London, England
Leeds west yorkshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The reviews are right”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My husband bought tickets for this show as a Christmas present. We visited yesterday Saturday 15 Feb. We have seen 3 other cirque de soleil shows, 2 in Florida and 1 in Vegas. I was a little nervous after reading some of the press and trip advisor reviews but didn't want to say anything or have a preconceived idea but all didn't go to plan.
The first half was probably better than I expected. I didn't understand the story but there were enough outstanding performances to be thoroughly enjoyable. If the second half had been the same I would have said don't hesitate to see this show but unfortunately not long after the characters came on after the interval it was announced that the show was being temporarily stopped. No explanation. We all thought it was part of the show at first but it soon became apparent something was obviously wrong. It appeared to be with the lighting. If someone had come out and explained it would have gone a long way toward easing the audiences frustration but quite a lot of people left and after 45 minutes the show restarted for about 20 minutes and had undoubtedly been cut short. What a let down. Our tickets were nearly £100 each and I think we were treated appallingly.

3 Thank jolls

• Turkish first
Bournemouth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Felt like real show had moved and we were left with show run by understudies.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was my sixth CDS
Sadly never again
Very poor value for money.
Technical problems caused 45minute interruption
Not a word of apology or explanation, just a repeated prerecording; discourteous to the audience, not good enough.
Many from the audience who had travelled from far away had to leave before the show finished.
Poor value for money.

5 Thank Ottimista1
JonWhyte
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“The worst £190 I've ever spent”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I was at the farce of a show that they postponed half way though.

We left after 25 mins of waiting because there was no explanation of what was going on.

The show wasn't even that good, so we figure IF they decided to come back on, it would be more of the same.

They should be offering people a refund for that show, it was nothing short of an outrage.

4 Thank Jon W
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Lacklustre and Disappointing Show”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Having been to Cirque du Soleil's previous London Shows, I had expected a bright, spectacular, gripping and uplifting experience. Quidam was, actually, quite the opposite. I was close up, just five rows back, directly centre front of the stage. However, even from my exceptionally good seat, the set was so dark there was little chance to discern any expression on the artists' faces. Whilst the orchestration and vocals were excellent, the melancholy score and chanting was haunting to the point of menacing though perhaps the idea was to create a tense atmosphere. The music certainly did but the performance didn't. The overall 'drabness' was contributed by a supporting cast in grey ragged costumes or white boiler suits with face masks. The very few, yet outstanding acrobatic sequences were overshadowed by the darkness and the morbid music and the continual presence of balletic posturing dancers. In one acrobatic performance, a whirling Dervish spun during the whole sequence which was both distracting and disturbing. I certainly didn't get any sense of a story or continuity. Regrettably, the Show was not held together by a dynamic Master of Ceremonies and the cast did not appear to engage with the audience. Only one set attracted an uproarious response and this was led by a real 'trouper' who whipped up the audience with a sequence using audience participation in the second half. What an unexpectedly and hugely disappointing, flat experience. For me, this was not Cirque du Soleil's finest hour. Certainly no WOW Factor here and incredibly expensive at £95 a ticket.

1 Thank Rachel N
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Boring...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

What a waste of time! I have been to 3 CdS shows and they are clearly becoming lazy and complacent. There was nothing here that I have not seen being performed by street acts in Covent Garden. Regardless of the 30 minute pause in proceedings while they fixed the stage props, I was bored bored bored by half time - particularly bored of this contrived 'pan labyrinth' dream-like 'story' which was no story at all. None of the sense of humour that I have seen in other circus shows. Utter tripe.

1 Thank Cumrew

Travellers who viewed Quidam Cirque du Soleil, The Royal Albert Hall, London, England also viewed