“What a shame ”

Ranked #17,633 of 24,553 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went for a 1.45pm lunch with some friends who had been to the Richmond restaurant before. We were really disappointed.

When we tasted the wine and said it was fine, only some of our glasses were then filled. When we asked for the others to be filled it was as if we were taking a liberty.

Food was absolutely delicious, really fresh and very tasty - couldn’t fault it. But on several occasions, the staff were really off.

When our main courses came, mine had rice with it. I asked where it was and was told it was down the other end of the table if I wanted it!!

They ran out of the wine we were drinking and suggested we might want to go somewhere else for our next drink? Odd!

When we went to pay, that said they would take our service charge off as a gesture of goodwill — frankly we wouldn’t have paid t anyway!!!

I am hoping it’s a learning curve and things will improve, but I won’t be going back.

2  Thank Emma C

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a lovely lunch here this week. A great variety of dishes, some suggested by the waitress (almost all of which were enjoyed by all of us). I particularly enjoyed the courgettes, hake croquetas and asparagus risotto. The plates are not huge, and it is not exactly cheap, but ordering quite a few meant lots of different flavours. Well seasoned and presented. Very busy and clearly popular. My only negative would be that it is hard to find because the restaurants in the pretty little internal square are (apparently deliberately) not named, so you have to ask which is which!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am not surprised about the previous reviews on Petersham Nurseries in Coven Garden. I don't mind paying above average prices for good food, but what we had was dreadfull. The penne with mushrooms and cheese looked very good but it was so over salted it was practically inedible. It was served with a cold (undercooked) barley salad mixed un-lovingly with sliced olives and a few other indecipherable vegetables..overall tasteless. It also came with a green salad which was a few very large uncut leaves which took over most of the plate....aka profit margins, although the dressing was good. The place itself is in fact very sweet but they have already changed the food merchandise to far less interesting things to when they started (what happened to the Panforte?). I would not recommend this place for food unless you are going just for a coffee or a cold drink. Shame because it is in the right spot and very sweet looking.

1  Thank hwicky
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

Floral Court is worth seeing, with, or without the food. The original Petersham Nurseries, over in Richmond is bloody miles away for most Londoners(probably less than 10) so this is just the ticket.

I very much enjoyed sitting outside on a warm summer’s evening and choffing my way through the menu. The squid might be one of the best I’ve ever eaten. The chicken starter is more of a Karagee, than Southern Fried, but almost melted after the initial crunch. The Pizzetta was slightly too oily, and there’s not much meat on the bones, or cheese on the bread, for the £8.5 price tag.

Service was wonderful and accommodating. I managed to get a table outside, while the restaurant was full and brimming with the great and good of London. This is very much “the spot” right now in Central London. Go and enjoy lunch, or dinner, in this wonderful garden.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

I had read so much about Petersham Nurseries and its restaurant/cafe so was looking forward to visiting. So disappointed. Was not at all impressed with the building nor its contents - highly overpriced and unoriginal objects. Cafe was also extremely unimpressive. We have Van Hage's Nursery near us and that is certainly far better and worth an afternoon out.

2  Thank Jo G