“Little Hidden Gem”

Ranked #2,575 of 22,509 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$34 - US$59
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Tube: Central Line - Lancaster Gate, Bus: 46, 94, 148, 274, 390
Description: A hidden corner of effortless indulgence, the warmth and energy Angelus is renowned for is personified as you cross the threshold, in its fabulous founder Thierry Tomasin. Far more than a stunning interior and mouth-watering cuisine, Angelus has become a beloved secret spot in London. Angelus prides itself on an easy gastronomic menu and contemporary approach to the French classics. Talented Head Chef, Joe Howley has created a menu of elegant but unpretentious food that can be enjoyed at any time for any occasion.Located next door to the Hyde Park Stables and just minutes from the Park itself, Angelus is is open from 10am until 11pm, seven days a week. It is the perfect place to enjoy an atmospheric lunch or dinner, a delicious brunch, or just a relaxing snack or glass of wine after a stroll through one of the most famous parks in London.
London, United Kingdom
“Little Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I discovered Angelus a few years ago and have been a regular ever since. I took an out of town guest there a few days ago. We had the most amazing meal and thought I should give the place a much deserved "excellent" rating on here.
The host is always charming and engaging. The service is perfect. The food is outstanding. I am so surprised when I go and it's not filled to capacity. I love that it hasn't hit like the big trendy restaurants, but it also deserves to be because it is so good.
I was recently at the much hyped The Ledbury restaurant and it pales in comparison to Angleus!

• Visited March 2014

dublin
“Michelin Star Food and Service ”
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I stumbled across this restaurant around the corner from my hotel in Lancaster Gate - what an exquisite establishment .
I have eaten in many Michelin star restaurants that would match the food here - I had scallops to start and this is a tricky dish to master and it's a credit to the Chet - perfection .
For the main I had the Brill and it was again cooked to perfection - asparagus beautifully prepared and a risky touch of lemon ( that worked ), and a touch of caviar to add to the flavour - this was a gold medal winning dish !
For dessert I played boring and safe and went for ice cream and sorbet - a trio - pistachio , lemon sorbet , and banana , golden rule is never serve banana because it's associated in the industry as a way of using milk or cream turning sour ( never buy in a supermarket trust me ) notwithstanding that this trip was simply delicious and that included the banana .
Wine
A £6 a glass of merlot it's outstanding value but as a previous reviewer noted the allowance is slightly on a small size - a solution is charge 10% more and pour 10% more . The sommelier gave a good understands explication of what I ordered .
My word this us exactly how waiting is supposed to be , utterly professional , immaculately turned out , discrete and attentive in equal measure , pouring done with aplomb with after wipe to save the table cloth from drips . They could not have been nicer - and I was dressed in jeans and sports top that hardly fitted their fine restaurant .
Bread
Beautifully warm hard crusted breads filled with sweet fruits - simply fabulous .
Service charge
They do add 12.5% and that's not right even if they so deserve it - I would tip 20% for here so they actually list out a little -
Attention to detail
All things matter and this restaurant really gets it right - slight adjustments to the lights dimming as the evening passed is one of many little touches .
The bill
All considered it is excellent value but perhaps not an every weekend treat it reflects the quality of food used . By the way a previous reviewer complained about the price of water ! I checked €1-20 - that's not expensive ,
I strongly endorse this superb and although I live in Ireland hope to return with my family .
Salute .
( please forgive grammar and spelling - using an iPhone and screen text is tiny

London, United Kingdom
“Simply Stunning!”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having read the reviews on here before going, I was going in with an open mind on a few points but there really was no need. The service was second to none - friendly, attentive and formal. The assistance and suggestions from the sommelier were fantastic - it is refreshing to see someone with this kind of passion for what they do. Arrive early to enjoy a drink in the lounge whilst you peruse the menu and take in the atmosphere. The food was cooked beautifully however if ordering the steak check how it will be cooked - I wasn't asked as the 'standard' is to do it medium-rare (which, for someone who has it blue, could have led to disaster!) but the response when I requested this was 'Oh, Chef will love you!' with a smile.

Despite previous reviews, salt did not seem to be a consistent theme of the evening with both me and my partner never having to reach for the seasoning and them actually getting it spot on. The pork belly amuse bouche and sweet treats at the end were a nice touch considering they were on the house (this seemed to be the standard for the evening). I had the lobster raviolo with squid ink, champagne veloute and sea vegetables to start - lobster cooked well, but the start of this was the veloute which I asked for extra bread to mop up! My main was the assiette of beef including fillet, tongue, cheek and bone marrow (not sure what happened to this on my plate though?). Everything was cooked perfectly but if you have this, only have the horseradish in small amounts - it is a potent one! We opted for the tasting desserts and matching wine flight to finish and were glad we did - the platter is enormous and features all of the desserts from the menu with well matched dessert wines to compliment (with the addition of the explanations for each choice from the sommelier).

Overall this is definitely a restaurant I would recommend. We were on the table in the corner so maybe did not experience the issues others have mentioned with the proximity to other diners, but the levels of service and standard of cooking would be enough to have me running back as soon as possible, although with a bill which came to £200 for two people, this may be a luxury I enjoy only every few months...

• Visited February 2014
Surrey
“Quality breakfast... that's all it got!”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

First tasty, meaty and well presented English breakfast ever enjoyed, no doubt they use high quality produce and decent food preparation.

That enjoyment was short lived when you consider the arrogant service, being cramped in a tiny table that can barely give space for the cutlery/plates and it is close enough to hear the whispers from the other table. Plus the outrageous charges for still water and "super acidic" fresh orange juice not to mention the "discretionary" service charge of 12.5% that thet ramp on your bill!

I'd go there again only as last resort solely for the breakfast after a rough night out in London!

• Visited February 2014
Acton, Massachusetts
“Annoying”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The food is nice but be prepared for arrogance...

There were four tables occupied the entire time we were there but instead of spreading the guests around they sat us all in a row. The tables are all very close together - so close we chatted with our neighbors. They could easily have spread us around and allowed us elbow room.

When pouring glasses of wine the male waiter poured a tiny amount. When I asked about this he said it is a standard pour but the glass is not marked. Later a lady waitress poured about double this and I saw the male waiter pour tiny glasses to others in the restaurant.

Lastly they charged me in US dollars on my credit card without asking. This is annoying as the exchange rate is worse than that provided by my credit card company.

• Visited January 2014