“Great food, service to be improved”
Review of Eat Tokyo

Eat Tokyo
Ranked #6,206 of 23,242 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The food here is really amazing compared to other Japanese restaurants in London: tasty fish, nice looking servings, great portions for a convenient price.
Together with my girlfriend we stopped by at lunch during our Saturday shopping.
We've eaten the bento boxes: tempura was soft, fried but not heavy at all; the sushi was really homemade and fresh, salmon and the other raw fish were tasty, the rice was not too sticky and the vegetables were not bad.
The service is not that great, and the reason is that the waiters do not speak English very well and they do not eye contact with you, so you are forced to call them quite "openly".
They also serve the food as it's ready, my girlfriend started eating 5 minutes before me.
I believe it's just matter of different culture though, as they were still quite welcoming and nice.
The entrance of the restaurant is a bit shabby and not very welcoming, but once you get in it's perfectly ok.
As the food is so great and the service is "different" but not bad, I consider this restaurant excellent.

There are newer reviews for Eat Tokyo

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Although the atmosphere here can sometimes be a little quiet the food itself makes up for this. The sushi, although not the best i've ever had, is good enough and very good value considering that I have found very few reasonably priced japanese restaurants in London. The bento boxes are also very good value for a quick lunch. The waiters are all polite as well. Overall, the reason I come back to this place is its consistent quality of food coupled with its good value!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This review is very confusing to write…
Mainly because THE FOOD IS AMAZING. This Japanese restaurant has a large menu of seriously tasty food that is offered for a reasonable price. The portions are generous, the variety is wide and the fish is fresh! What more could we ask for?!?
… How about the bill….. 20 times… for 40min.

It actually got to the point where the majority of our group had to leave and my boyfriend had to stand by the till with the lady, pleading to pay. We were obviously irritated as it had also taken 20min to order at the beginning of our meal while we all were LITERALLY waving trying to get the waitresses attention (which could only have been deliberately ignored).
As compensation we got 20% of the bill - but even with this we can't bring ourselves to go back to this restaurant as we can't afford to waste our time like this again.
(Sadly this is also our SECOND visit. Our first was not as bad, but still pretty awful.)

Living local, we have spoken to other who have had similar experiences and this is really killing their customer based because if the service wasn't so terrible - We would all be regulars.

The main issue with this restaurant is that it is not computeriser. Every dish is added up by the calculator which takes forever! And it is under-staffed as there is no one to take orders and there are often dirty tables left for large amounts of time (which is not very appetising if you're sitting in the middle of them).

Overall I can't speak more highly of the food or show any more disappointment in the service.

1  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We went to Eat Tokyo together with Japanese friends. Like in Japan, we ordered several dishes to share: Sashimi, Gyoza, Tori no karage, and Eat Tokyo's award winning sushi rolls. Although service was a bit slow, the food truly made up for it! The Sashimi melted in our mouths, especially the salmon was lovely. Will certainly be back.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Hammersmith, of all places, seems to be a growing area for some amazing sushi/japanese restaurants and having tried them all, I'm confident to say this is the best one yet (Just topping Yoshi Sushi that I've been going to for years).

If you're a fan or proper sushi, great traditional service and Asahi on tap (yes, on tap) then make sure to pay this place a visit. It's got a great feel and atmosphere to it as well and I went on a Thursday night and it was full to the brim so you might need to book to get in.

The place itself doesn't look much though, in fact I've walked past it plenty of times and not even noticed it, but when you are inside and ordering, you'll not want to leave.

Great food presentation, super fresh ingredients and a lot of choices for different sushi (and other traditional Japanese dishes). Make time to visit this restaurant if you like sushi.