“This is for John Lewis, The Place To Eat, Newcastle upon Tyne”

John Lewis The Place To Eat
Ranked #15,940 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Northumberland, United Kingdom
“This is for John Lewis, The Place To Eat, Newcastle upon Tyne”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Place to eat at John Lewis Newcastle upon Tyne is not listed so I am having to try this way of rating them. This place is NOT THE PLACE TO EAT if you want a good meal. Having complained previously about a meal, I was sent a full apology and an email to copy and produce for a complementary meal for me and my wife. We both had the goat's cheese and caramelised onion quiche with the accompanying rather insignificant salad garnish together with a portion of chips. Before we could eat we had to ask for a table to be cleared. The quiche was tasty but the chips were barely lukewarm. Considering that upon arrival we produced the email for a manager to verify and authorise the payment, there was no request for feedback from any of the management team to check if we had a better experience this time (obviously we hadn't).
Before leaving I went to use the disabled toilet to find there was dried faeces on the seat and no soap in the dispenser. I informed a member of staff who apologised and went to get it sorted.
In the past we have snacked at this café and the cakes and scones have been fine. The staff are usually helpful.
However in future we will continue to take meals at the far superior and better value Tyneside Cinema Café.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank TednS

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Yorks
“Frozen cakes”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Visited to use vouchers for free cake and coffee, what's not to like?
Been to the London John a Lewis store and the cake was dry as sticks, coffee like water and staff like London shop staff.
In a York, staff were friendly and the coffee was fine, my apple pie looked and tasted good but was frozen in the middle! I complained and they apologised for not allowing it to thaw adequately. The replacement was a raspberry tart which again tasted fine but the pastry was soggy so I presume this had also been frozen.

If I had paid £3.50 for either of these I would have requested a refund. For free they are OK, for £3.50 I would expect fresh cakes.
Very poor John Lewis.

• Visited August 2014
Dartford
“Great for a monthly free treat”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Courtesy of the My John Lewis card, I go every month to John Lewis in Bluewater to enjoy my free cake and hot drink. I prefer to eat by the window upstairs in The Place To Eat rather than in the cafe bar outside the store.

The fruit scones are soft, moist and full of fruit. Plain and cheese are also available. The carrot cake (huge portion) is to die for. Today I had their Bakewell Tart, which was generally delicious but a bit dry and crusty around the edge. Once again though, a goodly portion.

The choice of hot drinks is fine. I only ever want a basic coffee but this always comes up hot and flavoursome.

Service is fine, generally (I presume) by Saturday staff when I'm there. They're friendly and efficient, and tables get cleared and cleaned pretty quickly when vacated.

If I had to make one suggestion it would be for JL to have one "chatting" table, where - if you're on your own - you can opt to sit and it's made known that you're happy to be joined by others for a chat. This happens very successfully in some small cafes and coffee shops and I think it would be well used at JL. It would also mean more double and four tables would not be being taken up by solo diners. Just a thought!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank DartfordLynn
New Galloway, United Kingdom
“Great tea and toast”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Sat here had lovely fresh toast , looking at views over Thames lovely very reasonable price , tea a good brew

Visited July 2014
london
1,147 restaurant reviews
“Rubbish coffee and second rate cake”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This place does not live up to the JL standards that one expects. The (self) service is slow and confusing. I asked for 2 flat white coffees which were just ordinary milky coffees and not flat white coffees in any respect. We had bakewell tart which was a bit dry and unexceptional. At just over £10 for two of us this was poor value.

• Visited June 2014