“A local institution”

Ranked #3,922 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: East End / East London
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This restaurant has a very loyal local clientele and, judging by the number of takeaway orders flying through the doors, seems to feed most of the neighbourhood at weekends.

The food is of a consistently high standard. The service is efficient but unobtrusive and a welcome contrast to the hassle you get in Brick Lane. If only every local curry house was this good.

There are newer reviews for Al Amin

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Decided to visit the restaurant due to previous posts on trip advisor. Ordered starters mains and drinks all which were unreal. Understand what I mean, this is good, good food. Tasty, not greasy and plentiful. Found the host mo very informative about the local area too. If you are in the area and want tasty and very reasonable food, give these guys a shout.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We have been going to the Al; Amin regularly since our local Asian restaurant closed 5 years or so ago. In the East End there is too much mock Indian cuisine - dull menus and orange chicken tikka masala. So we are always looking for restaurants that transcend that. Here there are dishes I haven't found anywhere else - aloo bora and kadi ghost are example, both of which are my top favourites. Indeed, my practice is to go up and down the chef's specials because that is where the high quality food is to be found. The front person is Mo and, once you have been in once or twice, you have a status as a regular and are greeted with enthusiasm. My guess is that the Al Amin has more repeat business than most other local Bangladeshi restaurants for that very reason - everyone seems to be known to Mo. And it is Mo's Dad, the owner, who does the cooking. He is a lovely man who once gave us a demonatration of how he makes different types of onion bhajis for Ishtar. As a feminist, I am uncomfortable with the practice of giving women diners a red rose after dinner but I would never say anything because I love the place so much. Wines are cheap and worth drinking. If you were thinking of going to Brick Lane, come here instead.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

First impressions were good. Both my mother and I were greeted by a friendly young man who found us a table. We were then introduced to our waiter for the evening.

Straight away it was obvious he did not wish to serve us. Apart from a permanent snarl on his lips, he could barely look us in the eye.

The starter itself was disappointing. The poppodams we ordered were soft and, dare I say, even stale. The main meal however was much better.

Not once though were we asked if everything was to our satisfaction. Nor were we offered top ups on our drinks.

As soon as we had finished our food the plates were cleared. And the bill arrived in military fashion. There was no offer of dessert.

Our waiter then handed us both a complimentary rose. Although from the expression on his face he may as well of had a gun held to his head.

As we made our way towards the exit an elderly gentleman opened the door. Our goodbye was greeted with a grimace. Once out in the open we breathed a deep sigh of relief.

Despite the dodgy starter, the food was of good quality and excellent value for money. Unfortunately the service we received left a lot to be desired.

And no, we will NOT BE RETURNING.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Small place in cool London neighborhood with tasty food, tons of selection and great service. Not to mention delicious on the cheap.