“A new favourite”

Ranked #3,490 of 27,213 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Reviewed 15 January 2018

When you read the career trajectory of the head chef here you expect great things, and when you walk into this place and see the open firepit and smell the sucking pig roasting you expect even greater things.

Set in an industrial themed space upstairs featuring exposed brickwork, steel girders and huge slabs of granite for work tops.

Our party was 7 in total, old friends who haven't seen each other for a while, and this place is perfect for it. Large friendly atmosphere with staff who are more than happy to engage in conversations with you, the music is great and not so loud you have to shout, which is becoming a big turnoff in my old age.

The food arrives, I have veal sweetbreads to start and rabbit for my main, others in the group had cod, the pumpkin salad and a couple have steak. It's all excellent, made evident with the chatter having stopped completely and our only communication being nodding and pointing to plates with forks, exchanging plates with the other members, then nodding some more.

When you finish dinner we head downstairs to the bar serving some classic cocktails and excellent whiskies. A special mention should go to one of the bartenders, who not only made me one of the best old fashioneds I've had, but also made multiple excellent whisky recommendations including a Tullamore Dew 14 and a delicious Glenfarclas 25. Chatty and friendly she's hard to miss, just follow the bright blue hair...

I'll be back here, it's perfect for small to large groups who want good food done very, very well. I just need to find a small to large group immediately...

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Friendly staff, great ambience, limited Menu but AMAZING food, reasonably priced and a cute little bar downstairs. Overall a great visit.

2  Thank Sleepismyfave
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

A relatively limited menu . Trendy but for the price including wines at 60-70 per bottle fairly ordinary

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Booked for our wedding anniversary lunch...the welcome was warm and sincere. Plus a wonderful smell of seasoned logs burning on the open fire. Great tunes too and not deafening.
Offered drinks at the bar before being seated at our table. Lovely to watch the busy kitchen in action around the open fire. Lovely lunch menu. We chose the crab salad with chilled cucumber broth and leeks with pistachio beurre blanc to start. The freshly made warm bread was heavenly. I was amazed how leeks could be elevated to such a high level. For mains we chose chicken with girolles and steak tartare. Sides of lovers champ and dauphinois again all cooked and presented to perfection. To finish we had chocolate mouse and a pumpkin ice cream. The wine choice was fabulous something for everyone.
The whole experience was perfect from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. A great restaurant with a wonderful vibe. Cannot wait to return!

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Still dreaming about the food I had (and the food I haven’t yet had) here! Can’t wait to go back. We had lunch, loved every little thing about it. I especially love watching the kitchen, all that fire! Service was perfect. It has a relaxed, sexy vibe. My husband said it was the best pint of Guiness he’s ever had, so we’re going back for dinner, followed by some drinks downstairs in their Irish Pub. I had the chicken with mushrooms and anchovies, which was devine, but I’m dreaming about their grilled cheese sandwich which looked like something Elvis would have been proud of.