“gem”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 March 2012

found this place by luck it was very busy and all the tables reserved but the waitor got us 2 seats we had 2 glasses of wine the place had a buzz about it .the next time we go there i will book a table and will eat there

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Having read some recent reviews on London restaurant review sites I went here wondering what I'd let myself in for. The reviews from 18 months ago were often 4 out of 5 but since they started running Groupon deals there have been some 1 out 5 scores with heavy criticism of service, drinks and food quality / portions. I was there with a friend and we also had a Groupon and our experience was okay.

Service - speedy and reasonably attentive although a couple of things were a bit off. We got the veggie version of a starter when we'd asked for the chorizo version. We didn't bother to say anything as it was something we'd nearly ordered it anyway. The people next to us had to go and get their own cutlery when their main arrived. On a positive note they discussed our choice of a cactus starter and offered us a chance to try some before we ordered.

Drinks - there was a special on cocktails (£5 instead of £10) but we went for wine and found the basic merlot went very well with the food.

Food - a tasty shredded pork starter and the veggie cactus option both went down well. The chicken mole echilada and sirloin steak with chipotle sauce mains both sounded tasty but were quite bland and probably the most disappointing part of the evening. They couldn't go too far wrong with the churro/dulce de leche/ice cream dessert. I was happy although my friend would have preferred a warm churro.

Ambience - nicely laidback music and a friendly local bar feel. Upstairs looked like it sat about 35 with many of the tables being bar style with stools. There was also a downstairs area which migh be good for private parties. Probably better for groups of friends and couples wanting something informal.

So in summary an okay experience - if I went back then it would probably be for drinks and bar snacks rather than a main meal.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Had a fun night out here, but it's extremely small so wouldn't recommend this if you're planning a big group night out (as we were). Cocktails are really tasty, but very expensive considering it's Balham - it was about £10 for a cocktail and a can of coke!

Reviewed 11 August 2011

I quite like that this is somehow different than what you normally get. It offers some rare Mexican beers, exotic meals, authentic music and relaxing athmosphere. It is It is worth mentioning that the cocktails are really good and the waitress Aneth was very kind. The guy that runs it seems quite ambitions and have even made a Tacuba iPhone app for!
My only recommendation is maybe bigger portions for that price, but very nice experience overall. I definitely recommend it and will come back.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Tacuba can get very lively, which makes for a good evening out. Unfortunately the food I had there was not the greatest. It was not terrible, but I have eaten at better Mexican's than this. If you want to grab a cocktail in a lively bar with some friends and are maybe just after some quick snacks, then you could do worse than Tacuba.