“1st class Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Brisbane, Australia
“1st class Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Kensington for three nights in October 2011. It was a wonderful experience. The staff were most friendly, professional and efficient. We had visited London in 2008 and stayed the other side of Hyde Park (Sussex Gardens), however the location of the Kensington is much better. Only a five min walk to the tube and lots of shops nearby in Kensington High street. Our room was cosy, clean and had all the features that could be expected. The bar was our afternoon/evening post-sightseeing treat and the lounge a great spot to relax. I'd be happy to rate the the Kensington 9.5 out of 10 and it would certainly be my first choice on our next visit (hopefully 2013!)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darren1961
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Dear Darren1961,
Thank you very much for your kind review of the Kensington Hotel.
I am happy that you enjoy your stay with us, it was a real pleasure to look after you.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you be coming to London again, I would be delighted to look after your booking for you.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Kensington Hotel in the near future.

chiara_vierchowod@doylecollection.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I had stayed in The Kensington Hotel a few times before, mostly because of the location, which is my favourite area of London, and the Irish connection, turning a blind eye to the dated, overly-priced but clean surroundings. Since, I have stayed in other hotels mostly in Marylebone and Holborn, but I stayed there in late June and am so glad I gave it another turn. Looooove the new look of the place and loved my stay; from the welcoming and efficient staff on arrival, the surprisingly fabulous superior room and bathroom with turndown service, the still excellent location and the many great eateries around the corner on Old Brompton Road especially the Italian and the Scandanavian (Madsen) restaurants. Oh, and we met some rockstars staying there that were playing Hyde Park that weekend!! I am due a return trip to London early New Year and it will be my first choice.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Unachicagilmore
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Unachicagilmore,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Kensington Hotel. I really appreciate your feedback I know this takes time and wanted to express my gratitude. I look forward to your next visit. Should you be coming to London again please feel free to contact me directly.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed at the hotel for a weekend with my wife
It was is in a central and interesting part of London easily accessible to airport and central London via the Tube.
I found the staff pleasant especially the night ported who had a cup of coffee waiting for us at a 5 am check out. Who had also call the car service to make sure that they would be there on time.
The hotel itself is surrounded by reasonably priced restaurants and pubs

1 Thank John C
Dear John C,
Thank you for sharing your experience with all tripasdvisor travelers. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Kensington Hotel and I hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,
Suburban Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

After weeks of research, I selected The Kensington for a first time in London stay. We arrived on November 4th after an overnight flight and from the minute we stepped aboard it was clear we made a perfect pick. Great check-in (early), clean rooms, filling hot breakfast, attentive and competent service. Only a block to the South Ken Tube station where you can get one of three lines around the city. We used the Tube the entire time on a 7 day TravelCard, even from/to Heathrow (and we are a couple of 50 year olds who advise anyone to skip the expensive taxis and go Tube!) Free wifi and expresso in rooms along with twice daily turn down. Yep - this was good living!

In selecting the hotel, I was looking for some great "English ambiance", i.e. I don't want to fly 4,000 miles to stay in a hotel that looks like a million other hotels in any big city worldwide. The Kensington has that "pinch me I am in London" feel - lots of cozy fireplace nooks and a warm and inviting breakfast space. My husband and I ate one night at the on site restaurant, Aubrey, enjoying a wonderful meal and a nice bottle of wine in a candlelit room. There are quite a few smaller, neighborhood places within a block or two - lots of choices there.

Our room was not huge, but comfortable and well appointed. Bathroom clean and spacious (I am nuts about a clean hotel bathroom and no complaints.) I read one review before I left that said the room was noisy as it was located near or on top of an adjacent club. I think we may have had that same room and I have to say we didn't hear a peep. True story - one night as we returned to the hotel we saw the club doors open for business and my husband had no idea we had been sleeping right on top of it for the past 6 nights. Never heard it. The window has the old panes, but then a "storm window" (I know Americans know what that is) which kept out the noise.

I have never saluted an employee of any hotel by name before in a TripAdvisor review, but Martyn at the Concierge desk deserves it. Martyn did a great job! We had never been to London and he was so helpful - gracious and accomodating. I never got the feel we were being steered to the tourist traps that are sometimes the "push" spots of other hotel concierge desks.

Honestly - this was a special birthday trip so I was willing to spend a bit on a room. London is a freaky-expensive city - probably more so since our American dollars don't seem to go as far as they used to. However, I think the Kensington delivered on all counts and made the experience worth every cent.

1 Thank marieSuburbanChicago
Dear marieSuburbanChicago ,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of the Kensington Hotel.
I really appreciate your praise and I am delighted you enjoyed your time here with us.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist in your next booking.
On behalf of the management and staff at Kensington Hotel, we look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards,
Dunstable, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

We first stayed at this hotel in July when we chose the location as convenient to get to Wimbledon for the lawn tennis championships. The hotel is an easy walk from South Kensington station and there are plenty of restaurants, coffee shops and a couple of convenience stores including a lovely little Waitrose. We had a standard room which was fine, nothing to complain about except the bathroom which was very strangely up a flight of steps. This was not the best place to access the facilities and proved to be a real nuisance. We did not receive a turndown service and all in all it was a very disappointing stay. I contacted the hotel and explained how let down we were after expecting such high standards and their customer service was excellent. After several emails I was offered a complimentary up-grade on my next stay which was in September. We took the leisurely London rate which included breakfast and a £15 credit for food or beverage. Our room was much better this time, we had a junior suite with a 4 poster bed, the room was large and well furnished and we had complimentary water and a fruit plate. The bathroom was huge with his and hers sinks, a bath tub with tv and a walk in shower. When we returned in the evening we had rose petals all over the bed which looked very pretty, a flask of iced mango tea and some cakes. We had breakfast at the hotel which was a bit ordinary and the service was slow but there was plenty to eat but I thought the restaurant was very dull. Whilst I would recommend this hotel for it's location I would say it is slightly pretentious and I have stayed in better hotels in London for the price. I would however commend their after care customer service so thank you to Anstis for all your help.

Room Tip: Up-grade if you can afford to or get a special deal
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SueG56
Dear SueG56 ,

Thank you for your gracious review. I am happy that you enjoyed your last stay at the Kensington Hotel.We look forward to your next visit.

Best wishes,

Northshore, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

My partner and I came to Brighton for (her) work and decided to spend a couple of days in London...first time for both of us. Everyone told us that we should stay in South Kensington...and boy were they right! We loved this hotel - the location, the bar, the room, the delightful bath products....couldn't have been better unless we could have extended our stay! Go to the Hummingbird Bakery and pick up a treat, and if you like Indian, please hit the Indian restaurant right by Kensington station (5 minute walk) - best Indian I've EVER had.
Enjoy this wonderful spot!

1 Thank sarahinboston
Dear Sarahinboston,

Thank you for your kind words about the Kensington Hotel, I really appreciate your feedback and I hope to see you soon again here with us. We look forward to welcoming you back
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

the hotel boasts a 5-star rating, but was closer in overall quality to the 4-star standard for London. However, as the price was also closer to that for a 4-star property, many people may still feel it is good value. The hotel is very well renovated and well furnished, but the rooms are quite small, on a par with 3-star hotels in terms of size, and someone who doesn't want to compromise may be disappointed. Like any property on a main road, expect noise if you want to sleep with the window open, however, it is definitely well located for those people who appreciate this part of London. The staff were generally helpful and polite and there were no unexpected charges on checking out.

Room Tip: you might prefer a room that is not facing the main road
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple