“Wonderful holiday stay”

Ranked #37 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful holiday stay”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My husband and I spent Christmas/New Year's 2011 at The Kensington Hotel and absolutely loved our experience there. We were celebrating numerous personal milestones, in addition to the holidays, and had notified the hotel of this fact; they kindly upgraded our room in recognition of our celebrations. While the rooms and public spaces are lovely, the best part of The Kensington Hotel is the staff's attention to detail and willingness to go above and beyond to ensure that guests have a positive experience. For example, during our stay, they provided us with a DVD player and access to the hotel fridge, in order to store cake and ice cream for a birthday celebration. Actions like these and dozens of others (including nightly turndown service) made The Kensington Hotel something special. While we had a couple of issues during out stay (housekeeping brushes left on our sink/near toiletries, some charges made in the incorrect currency, no fridge), these were small hiccups in a 10+ day stay and in no way would prevent our recommending the hotel or returning for another stay.

Aside from the lovely rooms and amazing staff, the hotel's location is perfect: just a few blocks from the National History Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, and South Kensington Station. There is a small Waitrose just around the corner from the hotel, as well as a larger Waitrose and Sainsbury's just a few blocks away. We're big walkers, and we were able to walk throughout Kensington and Chelsea using the hotel as a base. In fact, we even walked from the hotel to Westminster on Christmas, when public transit was not running. The hotel is also excellent from a public-transit standpoint. South Kensington Station sees Piccadilly Line, District Line, and Circle Line trains, meaning that you can get anywhere in London using it as a base and can travel directly from Heathrow to the station and vice versa.

It's also worth noting how beautiful the hotel's shared spaces are. Throughout our stay, there was a fire in the fireplace and room to sit and read or enjoy a coffee. We're usually running around whenever we're in London, but the lobby space was tempting enough to keep us in for a few nights of coffee, hot chocolate, and reading!

In short - The Kensington Hotel is a lovely, perfectly located hotel with an excellent staff who went above and beyond to make our time there special. I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaurenandRyan
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear LaurenandRyan,
Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your New Year’s celebrations and your multiple personal milestones. We were delighted to share the experience with you. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your upgrade, the nightly turndown service and services. Our team are passionate about giving you, our guests, a wonderful experience out in London, in the lounge with the fireplaces and upstairs in your room. Therefore we greatly appreciate your kind words. I have already passed them onto our team. We hope that you will not wait too long before coming back to stay with us, it was a delight to welcome you.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We spent 5 nights in this hotel in May and think that value for money this is one of the best hotel we have stayed in. We booked months in advance so got a good early bird rate that included a full Englisd breakfast.We had a double deluxe room that was a good size and well appointed.The public rooms in the hotel are delightful and make you want to sit and have a drink and enjoy the ambiance. Excellent breakfast.The staff at the hotel are the friendliest we have experienced without being overbearing.
The hotel is close to South Kensington tube and many well priced Italian restaurants
We will definitely use this hotel next time we are in London if the price is right

Room Tip: spend a bit more to get a deluxe room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear 2David,

Thank you for your kind words, we greatly appreciate you sharing your experience of us here at The Kensington Hotel with the travelling community. I have already passed on your kind words to our team here. We are glad the location was so convenient for you, our lounge areas were so relaxing and you enjoyed your room.

We work very hard to create an experience you want to relive again and again so we hope that you will not wait too long before coming back for a visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This is the first time I have written a review on trip advisor, but I wanted to take the time to thank the staff for making my trip so memorable.

I was due to propose to my girlfriend the weekend we stayed in london, and had asked the staff what can be done to help make our trip special. I was emailed back within 12hrs with a full range of things that they could do, I had champange and roses in the room for £30 (which i thought was a good price as it was a big bottle of moet) - and also the concierge found a brilliant japanese resturant for us.
I
My girlfriend is now my Fiancé and we had a perfect time staying with the hotel. All the staff were polite and attentive. And a special thank you to Miss Pratt and Mr Giroux for all the help they gave me with my stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear swampd0nkey,

Firstly I would like to offer congratulations from the entire team here at The Kensington Hotel and thank you for choosing us for such a special occasion. Our team is passionate about enhancing your experience of London so we couldn't be more pleased to read your stay was perfect. Your kind words have been passed along to the everyone and are greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of us here at The Kensington Hotel with the travelling community, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Boston, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed at this beautiful hotel couple of months ago when I first visited my friend in London. Best stay ever for sure. I loved the location, so close to Harrods, museums and restaurants. Tube was 5min away from the hotel.
I arrived early morning and they offered to check in before 2pm which was great after long flight from US.
Staff was really friendly and helpful. It was my first time in London and they suggested the best places were to go and what to see.
My room was lovely, loved the bath and large TV,room service was great.

Defiantly coming back next year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This review is long over due! I stayed here with my partner for New Years Eve 2011 (or should i say 2012) and it was a wonderful stay! The hotel itself is beautiful and staff are welcoming and so accomodating. In terms of location, its brilliant. Surrounded by wonderful restaurants and bar's its fantastic. The rooms and spotless, clean & large. As a bonus we were called a day before our stay to be told we had been upgraded! Breakfast was delicious too.

I would highly recommend this hotel and am always looking for another opportunity to stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mendolina
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Francesca_Micia,

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your New Year celebrations. We were delighted to share the wonderful night with you, we hope you enjoyed the festivities in Aubrey.
We are so glad you enjoyed your upgrade and found everything from our location to breakfast up to the standard we strive to achieve. We greatly appreciate how highly you think of us.
Lastly thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of us, we always welcome our guest's feedback regardless of when you stay.

We hope you come back to visit us for another special occasion or just for a night in London soon.

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 31 May 2012

i am happy to let others know that Kensington Hotel has amaizing stuff and I love love love the bathrooms.

Perfect location, just walking distance from great shopping places.

Evening is great to enjoy the fire with a glass of wine..

Good luck for everyone who wants to have great place to stay in London

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Evita B
Dear Evita B,

thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of us at The Kensington Hotel with the travelling community. We understand this takes time and we appreciate it. Our team is deeply committed to ensuring your visit is as perfect as possible so we are thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay. A lot of time and effort went into the decor so we really appreciate your kind words regarding our bathrooms and Lounge areas, they have already been passed on to our design team.

Lastly we would like to express our gratitude for choosing The Kensington Hotel, a member of The Doyle Collection, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 night while we were working at a tradeshow at Olympia. All in all it was an okay stay, but as you will read below, not fantastic, especially for what you are paying.

When we arrived there was no one to help with bags, or open the door for us. We had to ask someone to help us out, and it took a few people to organise this! At 6 months pregnant I asked months previous to be put on a floor far away from the smoking floor (4th floor). When checking in we were put on the 5th floor....once I got into the room it was very small and when walking into the bathroom I realised that I couldn't actually walk into it!!! The bathroom door only opens a small amount so with a 6 month belly I wasn't going anywhere!!! And to be honest, even if you are just slightly bigger you wouldnt be able to fit either! I told reception who were very apologetic and very lovely, they then put me into a room on the 4th floor....when I went up to it I realised that it was the smoking floor and the smell was awful so I quickly went downstairs yet again.....the reception staff were lovely though and quickly found us a room on the 2nd room that was much better. Although we were next to a fire door and main thoroughfare so it was very noisy.

The room was lovely but I do think that for the rating of the hotel and the price they charge some things are a little old. The towels for example are not at all luxurious, nor are the beds and bedding. Everything seemed a little old. The rooms are also not at all soundproof. I could hear someone dial a number on their phone outside our room, I could hear people walking upstairs and all in all this didn't provide a good nights sleep! When we returned from the show on the first day our room had not been serviced, not something you want to see after 10 hours out of the room! This was taken care of however that evening.

The location is fantastic however, you are surrounded by lovely cafes etc and a short stroll to Fulham Road.

The hotel does now represent good value for money unfortunately, and we were expecting something much more luxurious for this price. We may have been just unlucky however!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank MrandMrsNewton
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear MrandMrsNewton,

Firstly we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of us here at The Kensington Hotel, our team and I appreciate it. We were pleased to read you found our location so convenient. We are deeply committed to ensuring you enjoy your stay so we were saddened to read that you encountered problems with your room allocation. While we are glad you found a room that met your needs we were further disappointed that the amenities were not to the level you strive to achieve and you experience disturbed rest due to noise in the corridor. We take these comments seriously and they have been highlighted for further investigation. I would like to thank you for bringing these matters to my attention; it is only with our guest’s feedback that we can continue to improve.

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel we hope that on your next visit to London we will welcome you back.

Kind Regards