“What Five Star Is Made Of”

The Kensington Hotel
Ranked #31 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at The Kensington Hotel for my fiancée's birthday. It was booked at the very last minute and was literally one of the only hotels in London that was available. Luckily it was a lottery draw as the hotel is utterly excellent.

Unfortunately there isn't very much to say on the matter. If you go expecting four stars, you'll be amazed. If you go expecting five stars, you'll be amazed. The staff are extremely professional and helpful. Our room couldn't have been better and with the inclusion of one of the best showers I've ever used and turn-down service, this hotel hits every single target and more.

We didn't sample the breakfast as there's an Italian cafe in South Kensington that we usually go to. However one morning we walked through the hotel during breakfast and it looked incredible... we'll be changing this and opting for breakfast next time.

Finally I informed the hotel of the occasion and they arranged for a platter of fruit and macaroons in the bedroom (just after we arrived). It was an excellent gesture and was a great start to the weekend.

Needless to say, we'll be visiting again. And again. It's our London hotel now.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear uk_trader,

Firstly allow me to offer our best wishes once again on your fiancée's birthday. We were so pleased that by happy accident you were with us for this special day and was able to help you celebrate. We are passionate about creating an experience you'll want to relive over and over again so were delighted to that everything from your room, our turndown to our team was to your expectations. Lastly thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of us here at The Kensington Hotel. We understand this takes time and greatly appreciate it.

We hope to welcome you back for a visit soon.

Kind Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,117)

Reviewed 29 June 2012

You get what you pay for in London and during Wimbledon we paid quite a lot for an average room with a very small bathroom! However, this hotel is in a good location and has a good atmosphere in the public rooms, including the bar and the dining room. Service was variable, from the excellent warm welcome and check out at Reception to the less warm attitude of the rather rushed bar staff and dining room staff. We were also very unimpressed that the Housekeeping staff tried to come into the room three times from 0800 on the day we were checking out. Yes, we could have put out the 'Do Not Disturb' sign but you do expect that Reception would tell Housekeeping when a room has been vacated and can be cleaned!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Matthew L
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel, a member of The Doyle Collection, for your visit to the capital. It was our pleasure to welcome you. Our team here is deeply committed to creating an experience that is as perfect as possible so we were thrilled to read that you enjoyed our location, public areas and that you found our Front Office team so warm and welcoming. We were, however, disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with the level of service in Aubrey and from our Housekeeping team. Thank you for bring this to our attention, our management team and I will investigate to ensure this does not happen again. In regards to you room are converted Townhouses so rooms within each category can vary, on your next visit please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we would be happy to discuss your specific room needs.

We hope that you will think of us again on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Having had a fantastic stay in the Kensington two years ago a return visit was much anticipated and I was not disappointed.I am just back fro a two night stay and it has lived up to my past experience. The hotel is beautifully decorated however the superior rooms are definitely extremely small, suited more to one person rather two. The hotel itself may be a four star but the excellent staff make it a five star. The are helpful ,courteous and kind from the reception (especially Elena and Gillain) to the hotel maintenance man...The Kensington is only ten minutes walk fron South Ken tube station and surrounded by lovely restaurants and cafes also very central for your West End shows or plays.Planning my next trip already but will definitely upgrade room.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ballymac20
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear ballymac20,

We were so pleased to welcome you back to The Kensington Hotel, thank you for thinking of us again. We were further delighted to read that your experience of us was to the high standard we strive to achieve and you have come to expect. I have already passed on your review to our team here. We are deeply committed to providing a first class experience to you, our guest, so we were thrilled to read your kind words.
Lastly thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate it takes time and we are grateful.

We hope that you won’t wait so long before you come back for a visit; it was our pleasure to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

We have just returned from our June 2013, one week stay at the Kensington Hotel. We were in London to visit our son who is a studying studying abroad for the summer in South Kensington.The location is excellent, two tube stations to choose from, many eateries close by on Brompton Road, Hyde Park just up the block for a great walk and great pubs just minutes from the hotel. Our rooms were both ready for early check in as we had requested.Elena at the front desk checked us in and was friendly and helpful. I am a light sleeper and had a room overlooking the street which was a lovely view and not too noisy at all. The bed and linens were heavenly. Lovely toiletries and housekeeping fulfilled our every request for extra towels, tissues, etc. The concierges, Martin and Vincent were tremendous to work with from reconfirming tours for us, to setting up car services, to choices and reservations for dining. Ronnie, the bellman was so friendly assisting us with our every need asking what sights we had seen that day and what was on our planner next. He made you feel quite at home. We had a breakfast package with our rooms and the food was abundant and tasty.The sitting room off the lobby was the perfect place to wait for our son to meet us daily before we took off for the days of sightseeing. The only complaint that I can think of was two of the days housekeeping did not make up our room but a simple phone call to the front desk and the matter was addressed promptly. I can tell you that I was concerned about the hotel after reading many of the reviews here prior to going to London but all I can say is that our stay at the Kensington Hotel was delightful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor facing the street. We were away from the elevator which I have alwa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ann H
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dear Ann H,

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel, a member of The Doyle Collection, for your visit to London. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest. Our entire team is deeply committed to doing everything we can to make your stay is memorable so we were thrilled to read that you so enjoyed your stay, that everything from your experience at check-in to your room to the facilities was to the standard we strive to achieve. I will share your kind words with our team members, they are very appreciated.

We hope that on your next holiday you will think of us at The Doyle Collection again.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

my husband and i spent two nights here, stopping by in london to see some friends. the location of the hotel is quite nice, it is around the corner from some nice eateries and the neighbourhood is lush and green. for us, checkin was pleasant and efficient although we were a little surprised that we were led through a bit of a 'rabbit warren' up and down some mini flights of stairs (there is a lift, but some of the rooms are still a bit wheel chair unfriendly, i would think). granted, the property is old, which lends it some of its charm, but the layout is still unusual. we stayed in the standard room for our two nights here - which means we had a view of the airconditioning, and that the room was indeed very cozy/small. the shower, in particular is a bit tight and i am already a small asian woman. however the room and bed were reasonably comfortable, and once you left it, the ambience of hotel was quite beautiful and the staff friendly. i would consider returning here again, mostly for the location, but i will definitely upgrade to a bigger room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rose_nostalgia

Dear rose_nostalgia,

Thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience of us with the travelling community. Your willingness to offer feedback is greatly appreciated. We were so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the ambience of our lobby and lounge areas. In regards to the layout, as you may realise the hotel was converted from several townhouses. While this provides some beautiful architecture and adds to the décor of the hotel, the layout of the corridors and rooms can differ. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel and a member of our team would be delighted to discuss any specifics you require.

We hope to welcome you back to The Kensington Hotel soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Although they made me wait two hours to check-in (and that is AFTER check-in time, by the way, I was not there early or anything) I was on vacation anyway, and not in a rush, which made it less of a hassle. After about 1.5 hours waiting they offered me a "courtesy room" for me to freshen up while my actual room became available. Nice touch. But still, this happens a lot from what I read here on Trip Advisor, so I was sort of "mentally prepared" for it. They ought to find a way to minimize this occurrence, though. It can be quite annoying.

My husband and I were in London celebrating our anniversary (and, in reality, I sort of crashed a business trip of his - why not? It was our anniversary!). We stayed at a different hotel during his "working days" and then, I thought it would be nice to switch somewhere more "posh" for our actual anniversary weekend. It worked out perfectly. He was thrilled. And so was I.

I took a Deluxe room after reading a tremendous amount of reviews dissuading me from trying a "Superior" room which is their lowest tier. The rooms are expensive, so I sort of wanted to stick to lower tier, but every review was right. My "courtesy room" was a "Superior" so I got to see it first hand. A "superior" room is tiny. It would definitely be hard for two people, plus luggage, to be there comfortably. Avoid it if you are not alone.

One drawback is the terrible wi-fi signal: In and out. Never really fast, sometimes even non-existent. A little annoying if you are there on business...luckily we weren't...but keep that in mind in case you really need it. They do have two Apple computers in a little nook by the elevators in the lobby. And those are okay since they are ethernet connected. But if you have heavy work, gaming, or video watching to do in your room (on your computer or tablet device) beware of the wi-fi issue.

They could do a better job at maintenance (the courtesy room, was a little shabby with lots of dings and scrapes on the walls) but our actual room when we finally got it, was lovely, very English, yet contemporary enough. It felt right. Although it was a low floor facing the main road with all the restaurants and bars, and, I assume, boisterous people on the street, we never had an issue with noise somehow....

The lobby was EVERYTHING. It is beautiful, stylish, and simply a room I loved to spend time in. Our actual room (a "Deluxe") was spacious, with a lovely bed and linens, a good, spacious, marble bathroom, a great shower... and good products from some brand that is now infiltrating a lot of the hotels i've been in lately (Aromatherapy Associates). It was also a nice touch that they had a Nespresso machine in the room. Overall, the hotel was very good. The service was, for the most part, very good. I did ask for a change of linens on our second night, and the maintenance people ignored my request somehow...but, again, we didn't care so much. But if you're a stickler for that stuff...I'm giving you the true details.

The location is INCREDIBLE if you want to be in the Kensigton/Chelsea area (which is how I would recommend to explore London...one to three neighborhoods at a time, don't try to do too much, especially if you only have a few days). This was not my first trip to London, so I knew what I wanted, and this hotel really did a nice job. I would stay there again. I loved the experience. The room was very good. The bed and linens were delicious. The location, shopping, and all fun things are just steps away. We were blessed with GREAT weather too, which makes a huge difference in London and simply improves the mood. But had it been raining torrentially the entire time, and we HAD to stay in the hotel for long periods of time, this would've been a great one to do that in.

If you don't mind waiting a loooooooong time to actually check-in, go for it. (After 1.5 hours I started to get antsy...but by night time I had forgotten about it...and with all the complaints about this on Trip Advisor, I can only imagine they are trying to do something about it.)

Added bonus: The lobby smells divine and the concierge is incredibly helpful. I had to come back to NY with some of those British "Neom" brand candles!

Do it! It's a good hotel, you can walk around a really lovely, high-end neighborhood, go shopping, go to Chelsea, stroll in Hyde Park, go to Kensington Palace, have a cupcake at Hummingbird, Take the South Ken underground somewhere and have an adventure, and have Afternoon Tea at the hotel. This place was very good. I'm a fan.

Room Tip: You're better off in a non-smoking floor...even if you're a smoker.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TracyLSpence

Dear TracyLSpence,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of us here at The Kensington Hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to do so.
I was disappointed that you had to wait over an hour for your room to be ready; this is not to the standard we strive to achieve and we apologise for any inconvenience this caused you. I would also like to thank you for bringing the matter WIFI to our attention. We have highlighted the issue with our service provider to be investigated.
We are so please to read that despite the few drawbacks you enjoyed your time with us. And lastly best wishes on your recent anniversary from everyone here at The Kensington Hotel. We were thrilled we could share in your special day.

We hope that you will think of us again on your next visit to the capital

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I've been lucky enough to stay in this hotel a few times and the best things are the great service and location. It's a relatively small hotel but there are plenty of five star touches that make for a very pleasant stay. As with all London hotels, it can expensive during certain times but is definitely worth paying extra as the rooms are larger than other similar hotels that I've stayed in. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ShyTea1

Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for continuing to choose The Kensington Hotel for your visits to London. We are so pleased you enjoy your time with us so much. I have already shared your review with the team here and your kind words are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel Soon.