“Will be back (again)”

Ranked #36 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Oxford
“Will be back (again)”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This hotel goes above and beyond for its guests.
We returned in August for my partners birthday as we were heading out to Paris early the next day and wanted to stay in London overnight.
The hotel upgraded our room by what we think was two upgrades and left a birthday card, a fruit platter/cake and drinks for my partner wishing him a happy birthday.
The staff greet you with warmth and smile and treat you as if you're the most important guest there (though of course everyone has this special treatment!!)
Our bed was turned down that night and we had a flask of cranberry juice and biscuits left for when returned from the theatre.
Sleep quality is great at this hotel and the bathroom was lovely!!! Plenty of hot water, space and very clean.
The location is great for exploring London too.
Breakfast, as ever, was the best. So much choice, fresh juice, fish, meat, cheese, pastries, breads, cereals and yogurts and of course a selection of made to order hot meals (we had the full English again as is yummy)

I have no doubt that we will be back at some point in the not so distant future.

Thank you for making my partners birthday extra special. :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ms-Beccy-Gunn, Management at The Kensington, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
It was our pleasure and honour to welcome you for your partner's birhtday celebrations and thank you for trusting us with such a special occassion. I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel from the turndown to the breakfast to the little touches that make such a difference. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hurst Green, Lancashire
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed a night here to attend the very nearby Proms. Great location for Albert Hall and the Natural Historu Museum. The hotel is beautiful, well equipped and the breakfast and service were excellent. Expensive but it us london and prime location after all!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for posting your recent review and we are all delighted that you found the location of the hotel as well as the service and breakfast to not only meet but excees your expectation. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.
Derby
Reviewed 1 September 2013

After an early arrival I was given my room number - room 220 (herein in known as the postage stamp).
Regrettably I had no time in the morning to speak to reception as I had meetings almost immediately after arrival.
Upon return to my postage stamp and a long tiring day, I had room service - I must congratulate the chef on his gastronomic expertise. He managed to carbonise a burger yet maintain the meats raw state within - incredible!
After food I thought I'd try and sleep, but regrettably I was placed in the postage stamp with little to no sound proofing, particularly from other guests. Laughing, shouting, yelling were the sounds of my unsuccessful lullaby. Despite two complaints to abeyance.

By the morning I'd had enough, lack of sleep and a sense of increasing claustrophobia.
Time for a shower and a swift departure.

The shower however is no wider than a coat hanger, so without the assistance of an orthopaedic surgeon or maybe a butcher, anyone with broad shoulders will have a problem.

Regardless of your shoulders however, you will enjoy a lovely swim in the shower room after, as the shower leaked horrifically causing a small lake to match to serpentine in Hyde Park.

I should have noticed the tell tale signs before hand, as the carpet around the shower room was stained and peeling away from the edges. Obviously this is a frequently ignore issue in postage stamp 220.

At check out I informed the staff of all the above mentioned issues, alas, very little sympathy, indeed a greater amount of sarcasm and condescension was applied. I wouldn't say rude, but I didn't appreciate the inference that I was making it all up - good job I had the photos to prove it all!

Basically, don't stay here if you'd like to sleep, enjoy room service or if you'd like a room that doesn't double as a postage stamp or a swimming pool.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank DerbyBob
Ms-Beccy-Gunn, Management at The Kensington, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Naturally I was very disappointed to read your review and wanted to assure you that we have taken all the points you raised very seriously as the satisfaction of our guest is of utmost importance to us along with the reputation of the hotel. I would happy to discuss this with you and would kindly ask that you contact me on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I had stayed in this hotel several times in previous years and had enjoyed the experience especially the excellent location. It has now been given a complete upgrade and the facilities are first class. It has lost none of the friendly service which was characteristic of it but the décor is now modern and very tasteful. The bedrooms are equipped with everything that a guest might reasonably request.
David K

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank David K
We are all delighted to have welcomed you back and it is great to hear that you found the upgrade to be welcoming and the service and facilities first class. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for recommending the hotel.
Sale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Two night stay with breakfast, ok so I'd firstly like to point out that it was our first visit to London and we had an amazing weekend overall. There are great things about this hotel, the location is amazing and the staff couldn't do enough to make sure we were happy and they were very polite and approachable at all times.

The breakfast we had on the first morning, mine was perfect all from the buffet section fresh and in a beautiful dining area however my husband ordered an omelette and he commented on how dry it was and a little burnt around the edges he simply left it. The next morning though he had a cooked breakfast which was done perfectly and me I asked for fresh cheese & ham as they had none out and they simply went and got fresh for me I also had smoked salmon and eggs it was also perfect.

Our room, we had mixed feelings about this as it was a deluxe room the bedroom area was of adequate size but the bathroom was much smaller than we were used to. We found out on our first evening that the fan/generator that was outside was rather noisy - had we been staying for longer than 2 nights we would have needed to ask for a different room. Great size TV and lovely toiletries. We had a broken coffee machine so we called to reception who said they could get someone to repair after 10am and in the mean time would provide us with 2 coffees in our room (when these were brought the water hadn't been hot enough to dissolve the granules so we left them) I did mention this as we were leaving to go out for the day and that as the room hadn't quite been ready on our arrival we had waited in the lounge but it appeared that there was long dark hair on the carpet of the room and could they vac whilst we were gone. When we returned the machine was fixed, room cleaned and the next day of our stay they had even put in our room an apology card with a bottle of wine and a platter of fruit & Chocolates !! Wow it was a real pleasure that although I had been very polite in pointing out these two things they were resolved as quickly as possible and this was a great little extra for customer relations.

Our only other thing that we found a little shocking was that we had paid for our room in advance and when we arrived as always handed over a card for check in, now may I clearly state we have stayed in 5* in Edinburgh/Cotswolds/Stratford Upon Avon and many more but never have we had £300 deducted from either of our cards as a g/tee for our stay this was only noticed when we returned home and when we called the hotel they said it would go back on to available balance within 5 working days and it was in the small print of the check in form, I think it would have been better to be advised of this verbally when giving over the card as when there are other people waiting behind you and only one person on the desk and after a long journey you are not going to read an a4 sheet plus small print on your arrival? Anyhow luckily for us my husband didn't notice the £300 until after our break but this could be very different for others and in turn it could wreck someones weekend away if they needed the additional £300 whilst they were in London only a thought.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comphrensive reiew of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention several points that you felt slightly marred your experience with us. Please rest assured that we have addressed each and every point with the staff to ensure that they do not happen again. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.
Dublin
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We booked a room here for four nights via the hotel's Doyle Collection website. We paid top dollar for a small room. Unlike other reviewers here, we did not get upgraded. We have never been upgraded except once at The Taj Lake Palace Hotel in Udaipur. How do these hotels decide who will enjoy an upgrade? There must be some special handshake or facial twitching required at check in?

Before the hotel manager replies that these old houses have to have odd room size configurations, we'll just say our room was small - very small - with a queen size double at the front of the building. There was no traffic noise and the bed was comfortable. There is adequate wardrobe space and good wi-fi. The bathroom was small - best described as efficient? But why in a double room for two people is there only one chair? The answer will probably be that the room was only large enough to accommodate one chair so following the hotel's logic, we were two people put into a single size room?

Otherwise everything worked and the hotel is very well located - just where we needed to be. We did not bother with the very expensive breakfasts which are over £20 per person for typical hotel fare. Instead there are several very nice cafes nearby with an eclectic choice of freshly cooked food for breakfast for less than £10 per person including coffee or tea. Likewise, the hotel restaurant is expensive for dinner - it is better to try somewhere from the large choice of local restaurants just a few minutes walk away.

Would we stay here again? Yes - providing we get a room large enough to fit a bed and two chairs (useful to sit on whilst waiting for the rain to stop or just to have a cup of tea.) If there are no suitable rooms then we would definitely stay elsewhere - after all there is a vast choice in London!

Room Tip: Check room size before booking if there is more than one person.
1 Thank BrandonDublinIreland
Ms-Beccy-Gunn, Management at The Kensington, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for posting your recent review. Naturally I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding the room size as each room is very different as we are a series of townhouses joined together. However, we do have many larger rooms within the hotel and can certainly accomodate your request for 2 chairs and more floor space in one of our beautiful rooms. Please do contact me directly on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com when you are looking to visit London again and I will be delighted to personally look after your booking and ensure you are allocated a room that meets your requirements..
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My boyfriend and I booked the bank holiday weekend here last minute after our other accommodation plans fell through and ended up being glad the other hotel cancelled our reservation! Very beautifully decorated hotel, clean and modern. The staff were friendly and helpful and the turn down service was a nice touch. I wouldn't recommend the room service, there wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, but it just wasn't to our liking however I suppose it was room service after all! Definitely planning on returning and having a spa weekend!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your recent review and I am delighted that we were able to help with your last minute reservation. Naturally I was disappointed to read your comments about Room Service and would like assure you that we are currently reviewing our menu to ensure that it meets the needs of our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London and please do contact me directly if I can help with anything on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com.