“The Kensington”
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #30 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 September 2013

great hotel - good location and perfectly designed rooms. Went for a special occasion and they went out of their way for us. Staff from the Front Office team to Restaurant staff are excellent, couldn't be more genuine and helpful! Turndown service was a nice touch.

Room Tip: as always rooms on higher floors had more of a chance of a 'view'
1  Thank EAlex88
Ms-Beccy-Gunn, Management at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the little touches like turndown that we pride ourselves make the difference and our Mary Poppin views from the 5th floor are certainly a great way to see the beauty of the buildings in our neighbourhood. I am delighted that we were able to help make your celebration so memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,043)

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed in The Kensington Hotel on Saturday 31st August for one night and from the moment we arrived to the moment we left all the staff we met couldn't do enough for us and I can say are a true credit to the Hotel and made our stay so special.
Without hesitation I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for something that little bit extra special and we will definitely be staying here again.
Thank you to all the staff at The Kensington Hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

We were all delighted to help make your break in London so memorable and thank you for reommending the hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back and spoiling you again in this beautiful city.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This hotel goes above and beyond for its guests.
We returned in August for my partners birthday as we were heading out to Paris early the next day and wanted to stay in London overnight.
The hotel upgraded our room by what we think was two upgrades and left a birthday card, a fruit platter/cake and drinks for my partner wishing him a happy birthday.
The staff greet you with warmth and smile and treat you as if you're the most important guest there (though of course everyone has this special treatment!!)
Our bed was turned down that night and we had a flask of cranberry juice and biscuits left for when returned from the theatre.
Sleep quality is great at this hotel and the bathroom was lovely!!! Plenty of hot water, space and very clean.
The location is great for exploring London too.
Breakfast, as ever, was the best. So much choice, fresh juice, fish, meat, cheese, pastries, breads, cereals and yogurts and of course a selection of made to order hot meals (we had the full English again as is yummy)

I have no doubt that we will be back at some point in the not so distant future.

Thank you for making my partners birthday extra special. :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

It was our pleasure and honour to welcome you for your partner's birhtday celebrations and thank you for trusting us with such a special occassion. I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel from the turndown to the breakfast to the little touches that make such a difference. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed a night here to attend the very nearby Proms. Great location for Albert Hall and the Natural Historu Museum. The hotel is beautiful, well equipped and the breakfast and service were excellent. Expensive but it us london and prime location after all!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for posting your recent review and we are all delighted that you found the location of the hotel as well as the service and breakfast to not only meet but excees your expectation. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

After an early arrival I was given my room number - room 220 (herein in known as the postage stamp).
Regrettably I had no time in the morning to speak to reception as I had meetings almost immediately after arrival.
Upon return to my postage stamp and a long tiring day, I had room service - I must congratulate the chef on his gastronomic expertise. He managed to carbonise a burger yet maintain the meats raw state within - incredible!
After food I thought I'd try and sleep, but regrettably I was placed in the postage stamp with little to no sound proofing, particularly from other guests. Laughing, shouting, yelling were the sounds of my unsuccessful lullaby. Despite two complaints to abeyance.

By the morning I'd had enough, lack of sleep and a sense of increasing claustrophobia.
Time for a shower and a swift departure.

The shower however is no wider than a coat hanger, so without the assistance of an orthopaedic surgeon or maybe a butcher, anyone with broad shoulders will have a problem.

Regardless of your shoulders however, you will enjoy a lovely swim in the shower room after, as the shower leaked horrifically causing a small lake to match to serpentine in Hyde Park.

I should have noticed the tell tale signs before hand, as the carpet around the shower room was stained and peeling away from the edges. Obviously this is a frequently ignore issue in postage stamp 220.

At check out I informed the staff of all the above mentioned issues, alas, very little sympathy, indeed a greater amount of sarcasm and condescension was applied. I wouldn't say rude, but I didn't appreciate the inference that I was making it all up - good job I had the photos to prove it all!

Basically, don't stay here if you'd like to sleep, enjoy room service or if you'd like a room that doesn't double as a postage stamp or a swimming pool.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank DerbyBob
Ms-Beccy-Gunn, Management at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Naturally I was very disappointed to read your review and wanted to assure you that we have taken all the points you raised very seriously as the satisfaction of our guest is of utmost importance to us along with the reputation of the hotel. I would happy to discuss this with you and would kindly ask that you contact me on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I had stayed in this hotel several times in previous years and had enjoyed the experience especially the excellent location. It has now been given a complete upgrade and the facilities are first class. It has lost none of the friendly service which was characteristic of it but the décor is now modern and very tasteful. The bedrooms are equipped with everything that a guest might reasonably request.
David K

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank David K

We are all delighted to have welcomed you back and it is great to hear that you found the upgrade to be welcoming and the service and facilities first class. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for recommending the hotel.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Two night stay with breakfast, ok so I'd firstly like to point out that it was our first visit to London and we had an amazing weekend overall. There are great things about this hotel, the location is amazing and the staff couldn't do enough to make sure we were happy and they were very polite and approachable at all times.

The breakfast we had on the first morning, mine was perfect all from the buffet section fresh and in a beautiful dining area however my husband ordered an omelette and he commented on how dry it was and a little burnt around the edges he simply left it. The next morning though he had a cooked breakfast which was done perfectly and me I asked for fresh cheese & ham as they had none out and they simply went and got fresh for me I also had smoked salmon and eggs it was also perfect.

Our room, we had mixed feelings about this as it was a deluxe room the bedroom area was of adequate size but the bathroom was much smaller than we were used to. We found out on our first evening that the fan/generator that was outside was rather noisy - had we been staying for longer than 2 nights we would have needed to ask for a different room. Great size TV and lovely toiletries. We had a broken coffee machine so we called to reception who said they could get someone to repair after 10am and in the mean time would provide us with 2 coffees in our room (when these were brought the water hadn't been hot enough to dissolve the granules so we left them) I did mention this as we were leaving to go out for the day and that as the room hadn't quite been ready on our arrival we had waited in the lounge but it appeared that there was long dark hair on the carpet of the room and could they vac whilst we were gone. When we returned the machine was fixed, room cleaned and the next day of our stay they had even put in our room an apology card with a bottle of wine and a platter of fruit & Chocolates !! Wow it was a real pleasure that although I had been very polite in pointing out these two things they were resolved as quickly as possible and this was a great little extra for customer relations.

Our only other thing that we found a little shocking was that we had paid for our room in advance and when we arrived as always handed over a card for check in, now may I clearly state we have stayed in 5* in Edinburgh/Cotswolds/Stratford Upon Avon and many more but never have we had £300 deducted from either of our cards as a g/tee for our stay this was only noticed when we returned home and when we called the hotel they said it would go back on to available balance within 5 working days and it was in the small print of the check in form, I think it would have been better to be advised of this verbally when giving over the card as when there are other people waiting behind you and only one person on the desk and after a long journey you are not going to read an a4 sheet plus small print on your arrival? Anyhow luckily for us my husband didn't notice the £300 until after our break but this could be very different for others and in turn it could wreck someones weekend away if they needed the additional £300 whilst they were in London only a thought.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comphrensive reiew of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention several points that you felt slightly marred your experience with us. Please rest assured that we have addressed each and every point with the staff to ensure that they do not happen again. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.