“My hotel of choice for afternoon tea”
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #30 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 January 2014

After months since I visited this hotel, I took my mum to enjoy a nice afternoon tea at the Kensington hotel and the standards are still high, Jennifer at the reception kindly escorted us to the lounge and there we met George with his winning smile still like the last time. We started the afternoon with a pot of earl grey and afterwards continued with the sandwiches. I'm very impressed with this hotel for maintaining good food and service. I can’t wait to return soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
andrea D, Manager at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for returning to see us, we were delighted to have looked after you and you’re Mum for afternoon tea .Our Drawing Room is such a beautiful setting to relax in and Afternoon Tea is a speciality of ours. It was great to hear that Jennifer, George and all our team were able to create such fabulous memories for you. We all hope that next time you are in our neighbourhood you will have time to come and join us in our beautiful Aubrey restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,043)

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Kensington for 3 nights (23-26/01/14). The room was compact and hanging and storage areas a bit tight but the room was excellently equipped and the bed very comfortable. Our package included breakfast which was as extensive as you wanted and the service impeccable. The hotel is well located and the doorman seems to be able to memorise everyone's name which provides a welcome touch.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Eric O

Thank you for taking the time to writing such a lovely review and we were delighted to hear that you found the room so comfortable and the atmosphere so friendly and relaxing .We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I booked this because its rates seemed to be about half what the other five stars were charging, so I knew it would not offer the full five star treatment.

The location is excellent, easy access on the tube from Heathrow and up into the West End, lovely café area around the South Ken tube and you can stroll up to Knightsbridge and Hyde Park.

However, even though the service is extremely pleasant and friendly, and therefore very good, this is not a five star experience: more than one member of staff failed to set the table properly at breakfast, I wasn't offered a menu for the cooked breakfast, someone tried to take away food before I was finished and then left without taking away the glass and plate I'd left aside. None of this annoyed me because they were all so pleasant, but it's not five star. I was a bit less impressed with cleaning staff banging in my door at nine o'clock on the morning I checked out and then walking away without explanation.

I had a superior room which had a good bathroom, bedding, nespresso machine and tea (thanks you for proper milk), but it was very small. I wouldn't like to have booked a standard room.

All in all, for the rate I paid and given the great location, I would stay here again in a heartbeat but some serious staff training is required before this could be called a five star. All extremely pleasant though.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Siobhan19

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted that you enjoyed our stay with us, particularly that you found our team to be so friendly. It was disappointing to hear about the issues you experienced and I would like to assure you that these matters have been addressed. Please feel free to contact me directly the time you are travelling to London as I would personally like to look after your booking for you. Once again many thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind Regards, Andrea Doyle
andrea_doyle@doylecollection.com

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for business trip while in London, I chose to stay at Kensington hotel after reading the good reviews and this hotel is superbly maintained by management,all staff were busy and we still had excellent service from the point of checking in until when we left the building, The hotel is a few miles from Harrods, and a few metres from the south kensington station. in conclusion this is a fantastic hotel and would recommend it highly

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
andrea D, Manager at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thank you very much for this amazing review and your recommendation. I am so pleased you enjoyed your experience and found our location to be so great for business and visiting London. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is was my best stay in London to this date, as I'm normally bombarded with bad experiences in the hotel I have stayed in before, but this time round the kensington made my stay warm and exceeded my expectation, fast check in from Paul at the the front desk and excellent personalised service from George who remembered every time I encountered with him. I was quite impressed with the amenities and Free wifi, very thoughtful indeed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for writing such a fabulous review . We were delighted to have made your stay in London so enjoyable. It is great to hear when we not only meet but exceed guests expectations . Both Paul and George are delighted to have Impressed you so much with their personalised service and we all hope you will return to see us again soon.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I have just winded my London trip with a blast while my abode at the kensington hotel was top of the range. The hotel is very modern on a cross road to queens gate. my room was excellent , the nespresso machine, the iphone docks and all other amenities were state of the art. The staff are always the back bone of any establishment and I was really pampered with great service from everyone and mostly George at the lounge. highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review. We are so pleased to read how well George looked after you, he is a real star who genuinely enjoys making all our guests feel special. We are very proud of all of our team and it is great to receive such wonderful feedback on team members from our guests. We hope you will make The Kensington Hotel your home in London and I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Have never written a review before but feel compelled to do so for this hotel. Have stayed in many different hotels in London, however, never have we been treated so well by all the staff. From check-in to check out, all members of staff were helpful, friendly, smiling and all continually offering to help us in any way. A particular mentioned to the concierge guy who parked our car, feed the meter for us and advised us very well - never before have we received such good service and we have stayed at many 5* hotels in London including The Savoy.
My husband stays in London for business alot and is very fussy, however he will definately be recommending your hotel. Thank you for a very pleasurable stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

We are very honoured to be the first hotel for you to review. Thank you so much, I can see that you have stayed in many luxury hotels in London and we are very proud to not only met but exceeded your expectations during your recent visit. Thank you also for the recommendation, I do hope this is the first of many great experiences you will have at The Kensington Hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.