“Uncomprable Service”
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #34 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel has an excellent location, near attractions, excellent restaurants, shopping, and a Tube stop. The staff is universally superb, from the concierge to behind the desk, in the lobby, restaurants, and thoughout. The conceierge especially will move mountains for you, and their bartender is rated one of the best in the UK- seriously. The first floor common areas feature beautiful design and decor. The room bathroom and shower are spacious, with excellent toiletries. My only complaint is that the room was small by American standards, but it fits nicely with European expectations.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth & Pet... S
Frits P, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Guest

I am absolutely thrilled to read your brilliant review, thank you for taking the time to tell others about the Kensington.

We hang our hats on delivering exceptional service experiences and to know that you were so impressed with our reception, concierge and bar team is incredibly motivating for us all. I am very fortunate to be surrounded by a team of passionate individuals who are not only consummate professionals but also love what they do; I know they will be thrilled when I share your very kind words.

Thank you for choosing us, I hope we will be your London home for many years to come and I personally look forward to meeting you when you return.

There are newer reviews for The Kensington

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I eat in their restaurant which is decorated like a very upmarket library in someones stately home ( not a bad look or feel ).
We were waited on hand and foot by the waiter and I had the most mouth watering steak ever.
It is worth the effort to eat there .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Timintheuk
Frits P, Manager at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your restaurant experience in our newly renovated Library, thank you for taking the time to write about us.

Our Executive Chef, Steve, is going to be thrilled when I share your review, we source only the very best ingredients and believe in allowing the provenance and quality of the produce to speak for itself.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We absolutely love this hotel. Stayed with our family. Location is ideal. Friendly and very helpful staff. Super comfortable and pretty. Home-like feeling, not loud or chaotic. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Wow, we could not have asked for better feedback than “comfortable, peaceful, relaxing and beautiful”, thank you!

To know that you “loved” our hotel and not only enjoyed our location but also the friendliness and warmth of our team is absolute music to my ears and I am absolutely thrilled that you will definitely return to the Kensington.

It was a wonderful pleasure to have you with us and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel in a nice, residential area with lots of dining opportunities around. Taking into account that we booked a special offer and got their usual nightly rate at half price (120 euros per night) we were very happy with the value we fot for our money. The reception area, as well as all the common areas are beautiful. However, the rooms are quite small and slightly dated. For a few nights it's pefectly fine but if I had to pay full price I would be a bit disppointed. But then again it's London, where every hotel is overpriced...

BTW, this is a 4 star hotel in my opinion, not 5.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zebracat

Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for choosing the Kensington for your visit to London.

We are blessed location wise, not only are we minutes away from some of the best Museums in Town, the V&A, The Natural History Museum and the Science Museum to name but a few but we are also only a short walk from Harrods and the wonderful Boutique shoppers paradise of Sloane Square. There is also a vast array of traditional and eclectic restaurants, bars and café’s to choose from which makes South Kensington the perfect spot to explore our wonderful City. I am pleased that you thought the public spaces were “beautiful” and I hope our service met and exceeded your expectations. I note your comment regarding the rate and would like to assure you that we diligently compare our rates with the local market to ensure we are always in line and offer value however, Kensington is one of the most exclusive areas in London and due to it’s history, ambience and close proximity to the Museum and Shopping districts do tend to be slightly more pricier.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

A wonderful hotel for a conference.
This place is neat. Classy and has wonderful food you can eat in a library style restaurant.
We had a small seminar for about 10 people which was just perfect, and recently renovated.
The rooms are not massive, but of high quality, and the location is very upper class english.
Loved it. Going Back.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the road. Great view. Still no noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I am delighted you “loved” your recent meeting and stay with us, thank you for writing about your experience at the Kensington.

Having only recently launched our newly renovated spaces I am thrilled that you not only enjoyed the intimacy and ambience of the Study for your meeting but also your restaurant experience in the new Library. We wanted these spaces to be design led, contemporary and yet still exude the classic elegance of the Hotel and our wonderful surroundings in Kensington and your positive feedback is therefore incredibly encouraging.

I look forward to welcoming you back and hosting your next event.

Best wishes

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The Kensington Hotel has never failed me in going beyond just meeting my accommodation needs. They have the most hospitable of staff and focus on the most intricate details to keep you satisfied. I have stayed in this hotel around 5-6 times and I will most likely stay there again the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your continued, loyal support, you are incredibly important to us and I am delighted that you choose us as your London home.

Please let me know if I can ever personally assist in any way prior or during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back and hope to meet you when you return.

Best wishes

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at the Kensington Hotel recently for 4 nights. On the positive side, the doorman and concierge were very helpful and extremely polite, as were the reception staff. Room was small, but clean, and fresh but I expected that, and have no complaints there,. The decor in the hotel is nice and the lounge and bar area are very relaxing, coffee making facility in the room was a nice touch. Hotel is in a good location, and near Kensington South Tube station.

I dont want to be negative, but we found the service at breakfast very disappointing. The first morning we were sitting at the table for 20 minutes before we were given our menu, and despite having ordered tea and coffee and toast when we sat down, we had to ask again twice before it eventually arrived. extremely disappointing. This trend continued throughout our stay, and unfortunately it put a dampener on an otherwise very pleasant stay.

In summary a lovely hotel, but it would be nice to have breakfast served without a hitch, and this was a frustrating aspect to our stay.

Jake

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jake36
Frits P, Manager at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, it is incredibly important to me and my team as we firmly believe we can only improve if we truly listen to what our customers are saying about us.

Whilst I am pleased that you were impressed with our location, the hotel décor, your room and the service you received from our Reception and Concierge team, I am bitterly disappointed that our breakfast service let us down. Please allow me to start by apologising unreservedly for failing to deliver the high standards we strive to achieve and what you quite rightly would have expected of us. The lack of attention and poor speed of service you highlighted is simply unacceptable and I can assure you we will deal with these service gaps as a matter of the utmost urgency.

I know that we did not get the breakfast service spot on for you but do hope that this will not deter you from choosing us again. I can assure you that I take your feedback seriously and will take action to rectify the issues you highlighted, please contact me prior to your next London visit on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com so I can personally oversee your next reservation and ensure your stay meets and exceeds your expectations on every level.

I hope to hear from you and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Kensington.

With renewed apologies