“Squalid”

and 1 more site!
A To Z Hotel
Ranked #978 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Warped linoleum floor. Lumpy beds. Grim location. Broken TV. Demoralized staff. Appeared to be a converted homeless hostel. What's not to like?

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank Phutatorius

Reviewed 15 October 2010

I must have stayed in a different hotel to the previous reviewers, because the place I stayed in was nothing like I'd been expecting after reading their comments, although, to be fair, the hotel may have changed a lot since they syated there. I'd booked a single, but was put in a double room. It wasn't huge, but if you were a couple or pair just looking for a place to stay, it was big enough. The room had clearly been refurbished recently; the walls were clean, bar a few scuffmarks, obviously down to being bashed by luggage; the carpet had a couple of flecks on it, but that was all. The bathroom (ensuite) was extremely small, butr I'd say it was spotless. The grouting between the floor tiles was a tad discoloured, but, well, anyone who has ever tried to keep a bathroom looking nice knows it's impossible to keep grouting brilliant white. The bathroom had toilet paper and guest soaps, and two bright white towels. As for the room, well, I had a TV (even if I couldn't get the remote control to work), a central light, each red had its own light, controlled by a switch easily within reach of the bed, a fan and a radiator. And, boy, did that radiator work, perhaps a little too well, as I was actually uncomfortably hot sometimes. Some kind of chair that would have allowed me to use the dressing table as a desk would have been good, ditto some kind of bedside table. I did find one stain on one of the bed covers but it was a stain, as in dyed by something that had been spilled on it many washes ago, not actual dirt or spilled food; the covers did look grotty from a distance, but they were nylon or polyster, both of which pill badly. The sheets were obviously brand new and freshly laundered. The big problem with the room was that it was right on the road, and extremely noisy all night, and I could have done without the floodlight seemingly directed at my window as well.
On my first morning I went down for breakfast at 8.45am, and found a couple of disgruntled people waiting to be let into the 'breakfast room' - ie the takeaway next door - and although the staff arrived and started setting up, it didn't look too exciting, so I gave it a miss; I didn't bother going down the following morning becase I'd got my own supplies in, so I can't comment on what it was actually like.
Apart from the proximity to the road - I suppose you can always ask for a room at the back - the other major difficulty is that it's a bit of a trek from the tube and train stations.
But if you don't mind walking, and are prepared to risk missing your breakfast or porovide your own, this really is a good value place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank A1yssa2010
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Wasn't expecting much at this price. The single room was small and filthy, I only managed to sleep due to the effects of a Christmas night out. Woke at 6a.m. the room was freezing, the tiny radiator was stone cold. Can't comment on the breakfast as I left immediately, to go home for a disinfectant bath. I'll put up with the walk and stick with Travelodge next time.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank NailbiterEngland
Reviewed 21 October 2009

This place is not a hotel ... not even a motel. It is near Acton Main Line station which is not on the main tube map which caused problems trying to find it the first night. Then on Sunday we found out that trains did not go from that station. The only other option was to walk 15 min down the road to Action Town station. The rooms were small and the bathroom was even smaller. There needs to be a shower mat as when your taking a shower water goes everywhere. They only gave us half a toilet roll for three days. The mattresses on the beds need to be thrown out ... we could feel the springs and it was three very bad nights sleep. The sheets were clean but there was only a very thin blanket on the beds which meant my father ended up sleeping in his clothes as it was so cold. The radiator didn't work and the TV only picked up three channels. We didn't try the free breckfast for obvious reasons.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Carmypug
Reviewed 6 October 2009

This hotel ok for it's price. Receptionist is friendly and helpful. Rooms definately BUDGET.Breakfast is AWFUL.Orange juice is watery (wouldnt even called it orange juice).They say eat as much as you, want but when you ask for extra toast they ask you to pay. I also had an experience where I came down in the morning and found an illegal worker (assuming he is illegal as he cant speak english properly and he's extremely rude) was sleeping on the kitchen floor beside where breakfast is served in a chicken shop.That aside overall the hotel is not bad for the price.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Hassan1987
Reviewed 20 September 2009

We hadn't a clue how far was it from the Tube. But we found it.
The Hotel - The staff were great. The room was ok, but it needs more cleaning.
Location: ok it's far away from the center, but have good markets/grossers nearby.
Transports: Was I already said it's far from the Tube, but the 266 plus the 70(? or 50 can't remember) can take you to Notting Hill/Portobello Road or White City Station (Tube).
If you want to go clubing al night, I wouldn't recommend it. It's to far away from the Soho (1h 30m).
If you have allergies, bright all your medicines... It needs more cleaning.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Demanjo
Reviewed 15 August 2009

It's far from the centre, it takes between fourty and fifty minutes to reach picadilly circus and oxford street. The tube is far, a half-hour walk, but there is a 24 h bus near at the door that leaves you in Hammersmith, where you can take another metro or bus to the centre. The room was very dirty: the carpet with hairs and dirt, the walls and the old bedspreads with unidentified stains. Only sheets and towels was good. Broken and insecure door. Views were blocked by the bright sign of the hostel. Under our window, a shelf with garbage and used underwear. A lot of noises at the street, we had to buy earplugs to be able to sleep. The small bathroom was horrible, to take a simple shower was an odyssey. Showerhead was fixed and very high, the watter keep falling far and to be under the watter I had to go beside the toilet. Service was not very good, two days they gave us clean towels and only one day of seven they made our beds. Our garbage cube wasn't cleaned any day. Breakfast was in a kebab communicated with the hostel by a backdoor. To arrive, you have to go by one corridor with a full of towels and dirty sheets on the floor. Breakfast was served on the same kebab with the removed shutters. Wasn't juice, but it was water with taste of orange, cofee or tea, two toasted per person, a bit of marmelade and a misery of butter. If you want more butter, they said no. Definitely, A to Z was a deception.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple