“Perfect stop to re-energize”

Great Court Restaurant
Ranked #4,830 of 24,651 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$7 - US$66
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Description: Enjoy an unforgettable meal in our Great Court Restaurant under the iconic latticed glass roof of the British Museum's Great Court. At lunchtime there are sharing boards, seasonal dishes and tempting fresh salads. Look out for our special exhibition-themed menus. Afternoon tea is a favourite - a splendid spread of sandwiches, cakes and scones and perfectly brewed teas.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The hostess, Joanna, graciously greeted us and advised us there was only 8 minutes left to order lunch (they were mostly moving to teatime) so we’d be just fine if we could decide quickly!

She sat us immediately and we ordered. The atmosphere is light and airy and feels spacious.

We were exhausted from walking all day and it was the perfect place to relax and eat a late lunch.

We really enjoyed the food!

THANK YOU, hostess Joanna, for the wonderful reception and advice!

Paul M, General Manager at Great Court Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you very much, for such a lovely review.

From The Management and Team.at the Great court restaurant

And a extra special thank you from Joanna.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Just had high tea at the Great Court Restaurant in the British Museum. It was delicious and service was great. Chris helped us through the process as we had never done tea service before. His help made the experience that much richer. One of the great things about this tea time is it is absolutely casual dress. Would recommend this tea experience for anyone including children.

1  Thank dedecker465

Thank so you very much, for posting such a lovely review.

From The Management and Team.at the Great court restaurant

With a extra special thank you from Chris

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Booked a table, turned up and had a lovely lunch. The service was prompt and the waitress was so friendly but unobtrusive. We ordered and we're served very quickly, the food was plentiful and fresh. Well worth a second visit. The manager and all the staff were smiling, the restrauant was busy so best to book in advance.

1  Thank wenjilondon
Reviewed 4 June 2018

We chose the Great Court for a family get-together for a Sunday lunch. The table was booked, everyone arrived on time... if only the same could be said for the food!
Our waitress was friendly and repeated our order to us though she did not write it down.
Firstly, ordinary Pepsi was delivered instead of diet, the water carafe was dirty (on the inside) though we let that slide.

There was no salt or pepper on the table and I had to get up and find some as there was no member of staff anywhere near for some time. I had to try again with the salt as the first salt cellar was so tightly shut, it would not turn!

After quite a long wait, my daughter's starter didn't arrive but her main course (lamb) did, though it had to be sent back as it was luke-warm, as was a burger. Even though I had also ordered lamb, mine did not arrive at all until everyone else had eaten their mains! My daughter had her starter after her main course.

The lamb was a nice chunk of tender meat but simply fried. The 'mint sauce' appeared to be a little mint sauce added to the pan juices.A little disappointing, as I like to eat something that I could not easily rustle up at home.My partner's fish and chips was fine.
We were offered free deserts and coffees and those were nice but I'd rather have had a less chaotic meal and paid the full price!

Sundays are busy at the British Museum, but I am sure the restaurant has been operating for long enough to be prepared and not obviously short-staffed.

If you are spending the day at the museum and do not want to go out looking for lunch and then having to queue again, bring a picnic or try the excellent self-service cafes on the ground floor. The seating is benches and metal tables, so not particularly comfortable, but the quality is good.
Sadly, the formerly excellent self-service restaurant past the left-luggage, which served really good home-cooked hot food as well as sandwiches and salads, has now been turned into a pizza cafe. The pizzas are authentic but over-priced in my opinion and not a patch on the previous more varied offering.

Paul M, Manager at Great Court Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello,

My sincere apologies for the service and lack of attention to detail, which was clearly the case.
I have spoken to all staff members on that day. And expressed my disappointment in reading your review.
With such tight controls on service i' was truly bemused by the list of errors that you and your daughter had to endure.

From myself the Manager. Please except my most utmost and sincerest apology.

Manager and Team

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

This was a great place to have dinner after a long day at the museum. The museum is open longer hours on Friday’s, which made it very convenient to have dinner and continue enjoying the museum. The food was awesome! We had the three course meal and it was beyond our expectations. It was delicious and the wait staff was awesome. I highly recommend this, great, restaurant.

Thank you so much for your lovely review,

From the manager and team at the Great Court Restaurant