“Classy Lunch-Time”

Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: The best of contemporary British food meets the best of contemporary British art. Set in the heart of Mayfair, the menu at Brown’s is all about big British flavours handled deftly and with sophistication.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Met an old business colleague for lunch today at Hix which is the main restaurant in one of London's old world favorites - Brown's Hotel. I say old, but under the excellent stewardship of Rocco Forte this place has been transformed into a very trendy and cool place whilst keeping a great degree of class and indeed the charm of its historic prime. From the moment you enter the property you can sense that this place oozes service and the reception from the doorman through to the restaurant reception is genuinely first class - though actually under-stated in a very elegant sort of way.

The lunch menu is very British and indeed very traditional, but offers excellent choice. I had a tremendous prawn cocktail followed by perfectly cooked lamb chops with a very tasty tomato salad. My colleague had a lobster and tomato broth and what looked to be a perfectly carved slice of veal. A nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc on the side finished things off nicely as well.

Table service was knowledgeable and efficient and whilst this is posh, there is no arrogance or stuffiness.

Overall I like the atmosphere here, albeit it is not my normal sort of haunt. The prices are steep - and when you see them don't let it color your experience - and this is the only thing that stops me franking this lunch with five rather than the four stars above. In the words of Arnie though - I'll be back!

2  Thank Gary H
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at HIX Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for your glowing review of Hix Mayfair and all it has to offer from the warmth reception to its discreet and knowledgeable service and of course the excellent fare on offer. I am pleased to know that the quality of the food and the elegant ambience will draw you back, when we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Hix always excels and in the splendid ambiance of Browns' hotel, with great staff, the food is as ever wonderful and seasonal highly recommended

Thank you for your enthusiasm and yoru recommendation. We shall look forward to your future visits.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Hix Mayfair is the main restaurant in Brown’s Hotel, Albemarle Street and the ex-Caprice Holdings exec has maintained the standards set at all his other establishments, if not excelled them. The room may be traditionally wood-panelled but the atmosphere is not oppressive and, unlike one or two other allegedly up-market restaurants I could name, the staff were attentive and seemed genuinely pleased to serve us. My wife chose vegetarian dishes starting with a large portion of fresh asparagus and hollandaise followed by Sharpham Estate spelt with spring vegetables, which made a tasty change from the usual risotto. I went for two fish dishes – delicately fried cuttlefish with chopped veg and for my main a steamed sea bass in paper accompanied by a creamy mash which seemed heavily laced with butter and olive oil; if not the best mash I’ve ever tasted then very close to it. My wife had cheese for dessert with an original selection including Welsh Montgomery and I could not resist the doughnuts with Peruvian gold chocolate sauce. I can also recommend the Hix Oyster ale brewed in Dorset which went down very nicely. A truly excellent meal and it was encouraging to see the manager dining at the next table. You’ll need deep pockets for the á la carte but our mix of veggie and set course menus came in at under £150 with alcohol and it was one of those rare dining occasions where it was actually worth it.

Thank you for your descriptive and full-bodied review. I am so pleased that you felt it ws worth every delicious mouthful, and I look forward to welcoming you back for 'the perfect meal' on your next visit.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

There were eight of us from the company and the objective was for new members of the team to meet the matriarch of the family whose name the business bears. She was over from Geneva for a few nights. This restaurant was chosen as it was in the right part of town and we thought it would be quiet. A special menu was prepared with a good choice of dishes. Both the food and the service was good. Unfortunately no round table was available, so we had a long table with four each side, which was not ideal for our purpose. The restaurant, which has a wooden floor, was noisier than we expected, but it was not as bad as some. In brief a pleasant evening, but it was not quite suitable for our purpose. We have had dinner for 40 in a private room here, which was certainly to our liking.

We are always willing to prepare special menus for special events and I am glad to learn that you were satisfied with both the food and service at your team supper, though sorry that the seating on this occasion was not quite to your liking as we do have round tables available. I am pleased to know that previous private dinners have been, and we shall look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We are so grateful to Sioned and all the team at Hix Mayfair who worked tirelessly to serve 24 of "The Bear's" Old Crew with fine food and wine last Saturday night. You made his special birthday celebration a truly memorable occasion - a veritable culinary voyage of discovery about which every guest has raved. The shipwrecked tart will feature as our favourite dessert henceforth. We look forward to dining with you again (and again and again until we have tried everything on the menu at least once!). Many thanks for your marvellous hospitality. Best wishes, Graham aka The Bear and Fiona.

StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at HIX Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your suberb review. We enjoy making special occasions memorable and I am pleased to know you and all your guests enjoyed your celebratory dinner so much, and that we can look forward to your return to sample the rest of the menu in HIX Mayfair.