“"I love you more than I knew I could,"”
Review of HIX Mayfair

HIX Mayfair
Ranked #875 of 22,557 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$26 - US$104
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: One of the best restaurants in London, the HIX Mayfair menu is all about big British flavours handled deftly and with sophistication. Mixed beets with Cashel blue. Norfolk treacle tart with clotted cream. Each plate as much of a work of art as the Tracey Emin and Bridget Riley that hang on the walls.
London, United Kingdom
“"I love you more than I knew I could,"”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Hix at Mayfair - last night - a pleasant surprise.

Discreetly tucked away in Albemarle Street, Mayfair this dining room must be one of London's best kept secrets.
I started with the Atlantic prawn cocktail, giant succulent king prawns nestled in a surprising bed of assorted greens and sauce, delicious, my friend's crab was a little flat.

He had the scallops, five as a main course, just the right amount of sauce and flavour, I had the leg of lamb, which was perfect. Cooked pink, beautiful on the plate - presentation of all the dishes was flawless.

Dessert - we shared a bowl of chilled creamy rice pudding in which a strawberry heart of coulis and fresh strawberries was embedded, grown up school food , yummy.

The service was discreet and attentive, the staff very friendly.

The setting is stunning, Damien Hirsts, Tracey Emins adorn the walls. We sat in a corner table under one of Tracey Emin's light sculptures, - " I love you more than I knew I could," which is particularly poignant in the first flush of a romance and conveyed the specialness of our "anniversary" dinner" and celebrating shared good news.

Lovely place, would recommend and go again. The BF loved it , it might become one of "our places..."

• Visited July 2014
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at HIX Mayfair, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I am so pleased that your 'anniversary' dinner at Hix was such a resounding sucess with the perfect balance of food and ambience - and company. I do so hope it becomes one of your 'places' and that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back on future occasions.

“Beautiful location - service poor”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came here for a birthday treat. It started off well, with lovely pre dinner drinks in Donovan's.

We were seated in the restaurant and it seemed an age for them to serve us. Our order taken, a delay to our wine order. So much so, our starters arrived with no wine ...

The nibbles were average - don't order the garlic stems. Scotch eggs tasty.

Starters - I had smoked salmon - lovely. Husbands best root salad underwhelming.

Mains were delicious - scallops and lamb.

Pudding - chocolate dessert scrumptious. Cheese delicious but strange cake served with it. I'd have preferred crackers.

My wine glass remained empty for a while - in the end I refilled. We had to walk to the desk to pay the bill....

Lastly - the doorman thought it amusing to say they'd nicked our iPad which was in my husbands bag in the cloakroom. How did they know there was an iPad in there?

Overall - service terrible, food good in places. An average experience.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Pootlealong
We like our guests to leave with good memories of special occasions, so I was sorry to read of your less than perfect visit to Hix for your birthday treat which seems to have been particularly marred by poor service. Generally we are commended for our excellent service but clearly this was not the case when you visited. I do hope you will return in the future and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on this occasion.
Vallabregues, France
“Best of British!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The amuse-bouches fantastic. Snails so-so - prefer Burgundy. Super saddle of lamb, perfectly cooked but veg a bit disappointing. Wine list interesting. sommelier's suggestion was one I'd never heard of, but whjich I enjoyed

Visited April 2014
I am pleased to know that overall you enjoyed the traditional British fare offered at Hix, albeit with a minor disappointment with the vegetables, and that the Sommelier was able to recommend a wine that you enjoyed. I do hope you will return to try other perfectly cooked offerings.
Lancaster, PA
“Request the prixe fixe cocktail special”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had a wonderful dining experience here and the Hix included a special cocktail with the pre-theatre fare.....very very nice. The ice cubes are one of a kind. Top service by the entire staff.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank IrishFan-80
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at HIX Mayfair, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your appreciative coments about top service and your wonderful dining experience. I hope you will return on a future occasion.
Melbourne, Australia
“An Excellent London Restaurant”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We made a reservation at HIX for the night we arrived at Brown’s Hotel. It was a Sunday night so the restaurant was not crowded. It is a lovely restaurant. The dining room is traditional, and we very much enjoyed the atmosphere. Could not fault the service. The food was imaginative modern “English” food, and the wine (a French Morgon) was perfect. The asparagus soup and crab perfect starters and the lamb was an excellent choice as a main. No room for dessert! Definitely worth dining here.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank FunTimes030
Thank you for your appreciation of the atmosphere and service in Hix when you dined recently. Modern English food is our style and I am pleased to know you rated your choices excellent. We look forward to welcoming you baack on a future visit to London.