“Good selection of dishes on the "pre-theatre meal deal"”
Review of Mezza Express & Grill - CLOSED

Mezza Express & Grill
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Camden
Description: When Mezza Express & Grill first opened in 2006, the owners had one guiding idea: to create a restaurant which brought all the traditions of Lebanese hospitality, ambiance and cuisine to Camden Town. Head chef crafted a menu which uses only the freshest and best quality ingredients to reproduce the dishes his grandmother cooked for him as a child. He wanted to recapture the warmth and atmosphere of his family kitchen, bring it to London, and share with new friends and old what authentic Lebanese dining means to him. It is one of his principles that the food he creates should be shared and enjoyed, and it is for this reason that Mezza Express & Grill operates on a principle of affordability, without compromising on quality.Meanwhile, there was designed a welcoming dining area inspired by Lebanese art and architecture, using simple stone arrangements embedded into the walls of the dining area to recreate the idea of the Lebanese landscape. Owner found himself reminiscing with customers and friends about the chawarmas (pita meat wraps) and grilled meat or fish dishes his grandmother would make for his family when he was a child. [Head chef] attempted to recreate the dishes using English cooking equipment, but the results were never quite the same as the tasty, aromatic food he recalled, so the owner arranged for a traditional, charcoal Lebanese indoor grill to be shipped to Britain so he could re-create and share the dishes of his youth. Now the grill has arrived and been installed and we all look forward to finally being able to pay homage to their grandmother's recipes by sharing with you the food they love.
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Was going to a gig and planning on eating elsewhere but noticed a "pre-Theatre Meal" offer so gave this a try. Great value meal - not quite up the standards of the Lebanese cuisine that I came to love in the Middle East, but still good and excellent value for money comparing to other restaurants / pubs in the area. Well worth a visit to enjoy the numerous small dishes provided. We were very happy and would go there again if in the area

2  Thank LamplighterYork

Reviewed 8 February 2013

My husband and I visited Mezza Express with a kgb coupon and had a lovely lunch. My starter of hummus with lamb strips was tasty and my husband really enjoyed his starter of Lebanese sausages in sauce. Our mains - mixed grill for me and chicken for my husband - were accompanied by rice, salad and flatbread. Pudding was the pudding of the day - rice - which was fine. The kitchen was downstairs and I thanked the two chefs when they popped upstairs for the lovely meal. Service was by a charming young waitress and I would certainly return.

2  Thank margaret s
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I was lucky to be taken to this restaurant by a friend of the owner.
We were treated to a banquet of wonderful food.
Rather than chose items from the menu we asked for a selection of different dishes to be shared by our group of six people.
Our table was filled with probably 12 or 15 plates of lovely food, different humus, sausage, salads, spinach leaves with rice and much more with some flat bread.
For our main course we had a very large platter of chicken pieces, prawns, small kebabs, lamb shanks and salads to share.
We were looked after very well and would chose a selection of small dishes again if I have and probably will have Lebanese food.

1  Thank Mrnick99
Reviewed 23 January 2013

If the health & safety visited this place it would be shut down...
Where do I begin?! THE OPEN KITCHEN WAS IN THE DARK!! There was no smell of food and only the sound of a microwave?! The one waitress wasn't going into the kitchen for food, she was microwaving bread behind the bar and getting food from an unknown place upstairs..........!!!!
Out starters of potato and bread came and was disgusting!!! Tasteless and clearly straight out the microwave!
It was so awful that when our main courses came (also microwaved) we had to get up and leave.
I told the manager I believed it was microwaved food and he said " we don't own a microwave" and then just walked away from me?!? Unbelievable...
This place is n absolute con, clearly shutting down and a huge health hazard!! Please do not go, this place is likely to give you foos poisening! it's one of the worst restaurant experiences I've had :(

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Amazing food, fair price, the best service I have ever had in London. A friend and I shared a few mezzes that were all absolutely delicious. Not dirt cheap but not expensive either (we ended up here after deciding the tapas place along the road was too pricey). Really surprised to see negative comments about the staff, maybe we were lucky as it was quiet but I can't fault the service and the staff we talked to were very friendly.