“really lively and interesting”

The Blood and Tears Walk
Ranked #64 of 678 Tours in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: 'The Blood and Tears Walk' has a cult reputation with massive 'word of mouth'. Going for eighteen years, it is one of the best known London walks and has earned the right to be called a horror classic. Guide Declan McHugh who wrote the best-selling 'Bloody London' has been on television and radio and many thousands come from all over the world each year to learn about Jack the Ripper, other London serial killers, witchcraft, executions, conspiracy theories etc. This tour meets outside the only exit at Barbican station and ends two hours later at Holborn underground station. Chilling, entertaining and informative!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Greenville, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“really lively and interesting”
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We almost missed the sign outside the Barbican underground station. The tour guide knew we were lost and sought us out. Thank goodness. I would have been so upset to have missed such a fabulous tour. It was humorous, well delivered, and engaged the senses if you were willing to let it. Such intersting information. Want to read his book! Thanks for a first great night in London!

Visited August 2011

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Interesting tour - shame about some of the other tourists!”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I attended this tour last month with my friend; we'd done it once before but found it enjoyable enough to repeat after a break of about ten years or so. The first thing which struck me because I'm a huge fan of walking tours and love the various activities on Walks.com, so the sheer amount of rules and regulations on Declan's website were complete overkill. Good manners and a little common sense should surely suffice in this day and age?

Anyway, armed with the correct money(!) we turned up nice and early to avoid transport delays to be told the tour departed at 19:07 (right....) A large group turned up consisting of twelve or so youths and a small group of adults, they toddled off to get sweets and drinks and returned, full of vigour. A few of them started loudly critising America/Americans and using foul language which wasn't particularly pleasant or polite considering there was an American couple on the tour. Throughout they proceeded to moan, whinge and generally complain about having to walk around London (surely that's the point of the tour?) making inane comments such as "my mum owns a car so I don't have to walk anywhere!" and worst of all smoke, which isn't really acceptable in my opinion.

My main beef is that despite the stingent warnings/rules/regulations on his website Declan wasn't able to keep order, therefore myself, my friend the American couple missed out somewhat in my opinion. The youth leaders should have also stepped in as well, I can't believe that they didn't on a couple of occasions.

As for the tour, well it's pretty much based on Declan's own gut feelings and the company kind of ruined the atmosphere, which was somewhat unfortunate because some locations were downright creepy, especially in the small alley which used to house the man with a skull in his window. I don't know, it just didn't really do it for me.

In conclusion: it probably needs a revamp, as it seemed quite tired in places. For balance, the Shakespeare City Walk is really enjoyable, so I think it's more of a content thing than a comment on Declan's ability as a tour guide.

Visited June 2011
11 Thank BloggerLady
BloodAndTearsWalk, Owner at The Blood and Tears Walk, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Firstly, I am really glad that this couple enjoyed my tour so much they came back for the second time. That in itself is a big recommendation.
However, I note from the two stars and the title and the content of the review that I seem to be being penalised for other peoples behaviour which I think is extrememly harsh since I can't control who comes on the tour. I am told that I have too many rules and regulations but the point off them is precisely so that the tour has the best chance of running as smoothly as possible. Yes, I emphasise that people have to turn up on time and, if possible, have the right money - otherwise everybody turns up late and gives me a £20 note! Only this week a private tour started 25 minutes late (!) because of problems within the group with people losing travel passes etc etc. The reviewer says good manners should be enough without rules and regulations but then goes on to complain about the bad behaviour of another group on the tour proving that not everybody has good manners and that some guidelines are needed. As for keeping control, I do my best and am certainly not scared of being firm when necessary but I am in a tricky position when groups accompanied by group leaders turn up since those leaders are technically in charge and some don't like it if I try to impose some discipline myself if I feel it is needed (not often). I agree that sometimes those group leaders should do more but again that is not my fault. I also really have to disagree with the statement that the tour is "pretty much based on Declan's own gut feelings" because there is a huge amount of solid information given out on this tour. I am glad they enjoyed my 'The Shakespeare City Walk' though.
Brooklyn, New York, USA
“Fast-paced and chock full of creepy facts”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Declan is passionate about the topic and full of energy. He walks pretty quickly so be sure to bring your speedwalking shoes! His expertise covers hundreds of years of grisly crimes. Definitely worth it.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Enlightening tour filled with horror, gore, and an amazing tour guide.”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

After a tour guide for a competitor didn't show up, my wife and I took a short underground ride to take the Blood and Tears Walking Tour. The tour guide was very interesting and seemingly very intelligent. All questions were answered without hesitation.
In depth stories of gore and pain were a mainstay along the tour. Without question a tour for adults.
I have no doubts that the tour guide is a future author and I can't wait to read his book on Jack the Ripper and company. Thanks again for a memorable experience that my wife and I will never forget.

Visited June 2011
London
“Frightening”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I love scary movies and horror books so this was perfect. Real stories, in the real place. Fantastic!
Lovely guide and interesting stories. Keep up the good work mate, you're doing it great.
The guide has got a very interesting way of telling stories with questions and thoughts for the people walking with him.
Totally recommend it. Worth every penny, and more.
5 out of 5