“More like travellodge”

Ranked #165 of 573 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“More like travellodge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

If want a faulty towers experience stay here, rooms ok but basic, no communication regarding breakfast and wasn't available till 9am ,after been kept awake by people in bar till way after 2am got a fire alarm waking usup at 6.30 no one on staff site for instructions fire brigade came found false alarm but couldn't turn off alarm no staff came till 8am to turn itoff just worry if been a real fire what would happened room guests were left on there own told owner on his arrive said it was express checkout rooms did not need anyone there !,,very disappointed lovely food and drink but falls short of the 4 star rating on rooms it gives it self and quite worrying on health and safety side..

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Witney, Oxfordshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here as a couple while visiting our daughter. Upgraded to evening meal. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Good service. Will stay again. Steep stairs. Great atmosphere in the bar/restaurant. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Be sure not too leave it too late for breakfast. Some self service items ran out.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Had single room on the 5th December. Welcomed well on arrival and given a free drink from the bar which was nice. Room well presented, clean, tidy and functional. Nice modern bathroom and excellent Tea/Coffee facilities. Location was spot on down a quiet street. Breakfast very nice with full English, Cereal, Fruit and Yogurts available. The pub is also very nice for having a few beers before stepping out.

Enjoyed my stay and thought this place offered very good value for money

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

The Old Ship Inn seems to have really mixed reviews. I struggled to find a hotel with two rooms free; here we had two family rooms so had to pay a little extra. Considering the Inn was near central London, accessed by a frequent bus service, and provided an excellent breakfast I didn't think the price too bad. Staff were really friendly and provided a complementary drink on arrival. The room, decorated in a "boutique" style, had plenty of cushions and good drink making facilities. Tea leaves - not tea bags - and ground coffee. But nowhere to put the waste. Tiles in the bathroom instantly fell off! Not our fault - poor workmanship I think rather than damp - as a member of staff said. We had room four - the floor was annoyingly really creaky. Plenty of good quality toiletries provided and plenty of towels. Bed comfortable, noise from the street bad but we were, I guess, unlucky since it was a Saturday night and something was kicking off. This is not the Inn's fault. Overall I think this is a little gem. We do intend to go back but will book well in advance to avoid room 4!

Room Tip: Clearly some rooms have very creaky floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaybee575
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed for one night and it was a really lovely hotel, booked last minute the location is brilliant right by the train station. Would recommend the option of having dinner in the restaurant as well worth it. the food was very yummy and well presented & a complementary drink too. Did not wake up in time for breakfast, but im guessing it is good as the dinner was! Staff were welcoming,helpful and polite. Overall a very good place to stay had a relax stay, good value excellent staff and food and a comfortable night sleep! Having grounded coffee in the rooms instead of instant was a bonus!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Herne Bay, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

my boyfriend was given a "red letter day" voucher for he's birthday at the beginning of august. their was a huge choice of things we could do but we thought we would go to London and stay in a hotel over night. at £170 for a Saturday nights stay, dinner and breakfast included, we thought we got a good deal! we planned to see a show and tour London both Saturday and Sunday. the week before staying at the hotel i checked trip advisor reviews to see what i was letting myself in for. after reading numerous horrific comments i was slightly concerned and told my boyfriend. he reassured me we would be fine! i asked my boyfriend to ring up and ask what time dinner and breakfast started so we could get organised prior to our stay. my boyfriend rung red letter day to find out and they gave us the hotel's number and said we would have to ring them. my boyfriend rung the hotel and they had no recognition of our booking, which we had booked 3 months ago!!!! we rung red letter day back and they said that cannot be possible as they have the confirmation of the hotels booking. the girl my boyfriend was on the phone to from red letter day told us she rung the hotel to explain and they were rude and uncooperative to her and refused to take blame for anything. i know its the hotels fault because of all the muck ups iv seen on here with other people! thank god we didnt turn up on the day because that would of been our whole weekend ruined! red letter day have found us a better hotel to stay in right in the centre of London and have apologised plenty, which is more than i can say for the old [--] inn! if you ever plan to stay here ring hotel prior just incase this happens to you or just avoid it all together

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I was a little uneasy about having booked at the Old Ship as, having made my booking, an e-mail I sent asking about booking for dinner went unanswered. However, My initial impressions of the Old Ship, when I arrived in Hackney, were very positive - it's close to Hackney Central station, easy to find, the staff were very friendly when I checked it, and while I quickly found there was no milk with the tea and coffee, and no bag in the bin, staff were happy to provide both when I asked.

The room I had was a single - it was small, but perfectly adequate (although like so many hotel rooms, the wiring is not well thought out. The only power points are at the foot of the bed, so although the tea & coffee making stuff is all laid on on a shelf you have to put the kettle on the floor to boil it, and have similar problems if you want to plug in a phone or other item.)

The complimentary toiletries in the shower room were nicely presented and good quality, and it was very nice to have leaf tea and ground coffee available rather than sachets of instant.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the room rate included a complimentary drink, and was able to book a table for dinner when I checked in so the fact that my e-mail had not received a response didn't cause any problems.

Both beer and, when i came to eat, food, were good (and good value, for London) and although the bar became very busy during the evening , the staff all remained very cheerful, polite and helpful.

Unfortunately I wasn't given any information about when breakfast was served (and no information is available either in the rooms, or on the Inn's website) so I came done too early, but once it was available, breakfast was very good - cereal, fruit and yoghurt, freshly baked bread, and cooked breakfast - sausages, bacon, eggs, mushroom and tomato, although these did not seem to be replenished as they were used, and I am not sure that those coming down a little later got the full selection of hot food.

However, despite all the (very) good points, there was one major problem - the bed was the most uncomfortable one I've (tried to) sleep in for a very long time - the mattress was obviously past it's sell by date as every single spring could be individually felt. Fortunately it was a warm night, so I ended up using the duvet as a mattress topper and sleeping under the throw, instead. The sheet seemed to be directly on top of the mattress with no mattress topper or underblanket, which no doubt made the problem worse.

There was also a lot of noise from rats or pigeons - very disconcerting as it sounded as though there was something scrabbling around under the bed. I think it must have really been in the walls or somewhere, but it was very disconcerting. In the morning when I wanted to check the news I discovered that the remote control for the TV didn't work properly - it turned the TV on, but didn't alter the volume or channel at all , so was a bit of a dead loss.

The Inn is VERY convenient if you are seeing a show at the Hackney Empire, and the Bar and food are great, as are the staff, and I could see this as being a good place to stay if it were not for the bed, but as that's such an essential part of a hotel stay I have to rate it 'Poor' on this occasion.

Unfortunately by the time I went to bed and found how bad the mattress was it was too late to speak to anyone about changing to a different room, so I don't know whether this is a one-off problem (I was in room 7) I wound up only getting about 3 hours sleep.

I'd be happy to eat here, or hang out in the bar, but I'd be reluctant to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo