“Excellent service”
Review of The Old Ship Inn

The Old Ship Inn
Ranked #140 of 566 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Danny and Harry bent over backwards to rectify late rooms mistake when they couldn't find my booking on Saturday. Booked us into a hotel nearby that was twice the price which they covered, paid for taxis there and from there to the wedding venue, and fed me and my friend Sunday roast for free the next day. I was sorry not to stay there because it had bags of atmosphere and lovely staff, and the hotel we did stay in had neither, all glass and marble. The food was also excellent. Location handy for the Town Hall and Empire, but feels really quiet and calm. I'll def stay there next time in town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed 5 nights in this hotel.Room was small but clean. The staff was really friendly. Best thing in this hotel is great location if you want to explore the cool Hackney / Shoreditch area. There are lots of cool bars and restaurants near. The Old Ship restaurant was also good place to have a drink.

Room Tip: Room number 9 is a bit bigger than other rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I don't normally write reviews on this site but I am very upset by the lack of response I have had from the Old Ship inn.
When I arrived I was shown to my room, which was ok - nothing special but decent for the price and the location.

It turned out that there was a pigeon coup in the wall next to my room, so from 3am onwards they were scratching and cooing.

When I came home, I also noticed that they had overcharged me for my meal on the evening. I emailed them to explain regarding being overcharged and I also thought it best to mention the pigeon problem.

The reply I got was not apologetic but abrupt, telling me they were undergoing a full refurbishment and that they will look into the problem during the work.
Also that they will look into my overpayment for the evening meal.

I have since emailed them 4 times and had no response with getting a refund back, I think the service is disgusting and I will definitely not be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was originally worried about booking with this hotel, as some of the previous reviews said that the service was unreliable. Unfortunately, having taken a leap of faith and booked a room, we have experienced this too.

We booked a room to stay in for a wedding, and The Old Ship cancelled at late notice due to "renovations". Existing bookings were not honoured despite money already being taken, and we were left without accommodation. The bride's parents also had a room booked, and this was also cancelled at late notice (see review below).

At any rate, it turns out that the company had changed hands, from "urbaninns" to "urbanpubsandbars", and 3 months on we are still chasing the money owed to us, as it has never been returned. Despite numerous phone calls and repeated assurances that they would pass on details, no one has ever got back to us. We have now ended up having to go through bank to attempt to recover funds.

We would only recommend this hotel if you like a complete lack of reliability, both in terms of reservations made, and in terms of responses to complaints.

If you do use them, I would recommend booking using a credit card, as this has been our only degree of protection.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sophie K
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for x3 nights whilst in London for business. Ok so firstly the positives;
Quick wifi
Comfy bed

However a plethora of issues ensure I won't be going back.
Check in was a bit slap dash with the barman scribbling the wifi key from memory.
The room (room 4) had the creakiest floorboards imaginable - it made any nocturnal wanderings - even to the bathroom - left you feeling like you'd be waking every guest (and all of hackney!! :(
Common walkways / corridors were damp and needs treating.
Even the free soaps had clearly been thumbed through ( the box that is) with a visible torn box poorly hidden/ re-used.
Loo roll not replaced.

Made the whole place look / feel like it's being run on the cheap. Shame as has a nice olde pub/ rustic feel to it.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Graeme M
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This may be a nice hotel but they are incredibly unreliable. My parents and friends were supposed to stay here when I got married - they booked months in advance, and it seemed like a perfect location - but just a few weeks before the date they said there was no availability because of renovations, leaving everyone with a last minute rush to get a room elsewhere.
Do not trust this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Rebecca G
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband is used to stay at the hotel on his business trips. We recently spent a weekend together in London. I really enjoyed my stay at The Old Ship! Yes, the rooms are pretty small. Breakfasts are okay. Food at the pub is fine. But the big plus is definitely the staff! Friendliest staff ever. Thanks!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple