“Disappointing”

The Bermondsey Square Hotel
Ranked #291 of 1,064 Hotels in London
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The Bermondsey Hotel promises to be a funky place to stay. Unless you book a room on the top floor there's not much funk about it.
There is no parking facility at the hotel. The nearest car park is a 15 minute walk away and will set you back £20 per day.

Reception is a small area with no one to greet you at the door. Even for a 'funky' hotel a 'cheeky chappy' at the door to meet and greet you, help you with your bags and give you a blurb about the pubs and clubs in the area might have been a warmer welcome. Instead you let yourself in and are met with a  functional receptionist who takes your details and tells you what floor you're on.
The cleanliness of the hotel is something to be desired, although our room on first impression appeared spotless, closer inspection proved otherwise.

There is a quirkiness to the restaurant with odd artifacts hung on walls and scattered about the place in an attempt to give you the feeling that you were somewhere 'cool'.
The staff were friendly but customer service is at its most basic and lacking in detail. Definately an area in need of improvement.

Dinner was included our package and we were promptly given a 333 menu. After making inquiries about the a la cart menu we asked what our allocation was to which we were told they couldnt tell us but the 333 menu was included in our package.
No information on our allocation was offered and no option to use our allocation against the a la cart menu given. We advised them that's what we'd be doing which they accepted.For someone not offay with the industry in such a case the dining experience would have been limited.
The food was good but lacked finesse. One of our starters was salt beef and  quail egg salad - seriously lacking in salt beef. The other starter was salmon fish cake with a spinach liquor - the fish cake was delicious ,sadly drowning in what appeared to be more like spinach soup.
Main coarse was good and to end we opted for a sweet and a cheese plate. The cheese plate was disappointing with a very poor selection ,3 pieces of cheese to be precise, and the smallest of portions.For this we were charged a suppliment, the amount of wich I could have run across the square to sainsbury and bought a whole block of my favorite cheese!
After dinner we retired to our room. Thankfully we had a great nights sleep in a very comfortable bed.
In the morning we went down for breakfast. After having been shown to our table and given the breakfast menu we were basically left to our own devises with no explanation about the small continental buffet or about where we could find the fruit juice or that tea and coffee were self served from coffee pots placed near the little buffet station.
We both orderd the full English wich was disappointing. Eggs were over cooked, bacon bone dry, mushrooms and tomatoes shrivelled. It didn't look or taste fresh.
Check out was 11 am. We finished breakfast at 10 and had no reason to stay any longer so we left.
When we checked out we examined the bill to find we'd been charged for beverages we hadn't orderd. When the bill was amended we were charged for lunch which we hadn't eaten. Finally our third bill was correct.
Our stay at the Bermondsey Hotel was a red letter gift. We chose the Bermondsey because it looked exciting and fibrant and different from the norm. We'd been looking forward to our stay with great anticipation and some expectation.  The room we were initially allocated was so small I felt claustrophobic and the bathroom didnt even have a bath in it. Personally I prefer a bath to a shower. I was ready to leave there and then. Thankfully my husband was able to get us an upgrade to a suite ,at a price,  which was better. Even so, overall, sadly the funk was a flunk and we didn't leave wishing we could stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leokadia H
Robert_Holland, General Manager at The Bermondsey Square Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Leokadia
I appreciate your taking the time to review our hotel. I take on board your suggestions about the restaurant and I will address these with my team as we can be less restrictive in regards to the preset menus. Our rooms are somewhat unusual and enjoyed by the majority of our guests but this will always be subjective. In regards to parking when asked we always steer our guests towards the car park on Tower Bridge Road that charges £10/day. I do hope that some of the positives that you mentioned would encourage you to return to the hotel on future visits to London.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
climping
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent two nights here as a birthday treat for my husband. The rooms are spacious & spotlessly clean. We were disappointed by the restaurant & bar staff who could barely speak English. It was difficult to order a beer & trying to get white toast & brown sauce for breakfast took several attempts. At breakfast no-one explained where to get various items & we only discovered the fruit juice when we saw other people helping themselves from the union jack fridge! We booked a meal deal in the restaurant to include wine which on the night the restaurant were totally unaware of. Even though I emailed the hotel a copy of my confirmation of this they still wouldn't believe me on the night! This was sorted out when we checked out but it had already left a sour taste. The evening menu is very limited so I would recommend going out. Great location, quirky up & coming area.

Dear Katep35
Thank you for you review. I do apologize that there was clearly a mis communication within my team about your package and I will be emailing you separately to address this.
Kind regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Lovely hotel, good quality beds, clean and available on arrival. Nice welcome and easy checking. No noise from the road and slept well. Nice shower. Didn't eat dinner in the hotel and had breakfast once - self service for tea and coffee which I prefer to be served but just personal opinion. Had drinks in the bar and the bartender was excellent on one evening he went out of his way to get some chairs for my parents so we could all sit down together. We would return to this hotel as a couple when next in London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Robert_Holland, General Manager at The Bermondsey Square Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear 577Handley
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with your parents and thank you for taking the time to post a review. I hope that we'll see you back at the hotel sometime soon.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel is certainly good for the price it charges. It is clean the room is large enough for a one or two night stay. The reception staff are friendly. The hanging space for clothes is quite small and there are no bath robes, not that they said there would be any so they were not missing, but one would have been useful as our "do not disturb" sign went missing overnight and the chambermaid knocked on our door to see if the room was free. It was not replaced but we were up early the next day so not an issue. We were woken up the first night by the night room service man knocking at someones door and shouting "drink" rather loudly, there seemed to be some confusion as he was knocking on the wrong door, and someone else opening their door. After a few minutes of door banging and "drink" being shouted rather loudly it calmed down but I would say that the fact it woke us both up shows that the sound travels in the corridors. If they hotel read this they might wish to suggest that the room service person is somewhat quieter.The second night was perfectly quiet.

We did have lunch in the cafe, our food was OK, but the service was terrible, I would not eat in there again. I was brought a bottle of water that was not chilled and asked if I would like ice, I said yes but never saw any. Eventually my husband went to get some for me. If you are staying at the hotel they give you a 15% discount card, which we produced to the waitress. She took it but never brought it back, we asked for it twice and she just seemed to forget. We signed the bill and asked again as we got up to leave but she just walked off, eventually someone else who worked there asked us if he could help and he kindly found it for us

Overall I would stay at this hotel again if the price was right, mainly because of its location and the lovely bars and places to eat along Bermondsey Street, especially Jose's.

I have given it a very good as it was better than average, but that is for the hotel only not the cafe.

Room Tip: We upgraded for a higher room to see the Shard, it is a good view.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Booked this room as was told its the only hotel in London with a hot tub on the rooftop.

I was not disappointed. & It was a lovely evening to treat my boyfriend for his birthday.... Will highly recommend to all my friends!

We received fantastic service at every point - even when we cheekily asked the room service girl to take a picture of us in the tub!

We had room service dinner & sat on the terrace outside. i had the angus burger and it was THE BEST BURGER i have ever had!! My boyfriend has steak which was equally yummy...

all in all a fantastic hotel in a trendy & central area of the city.

Thank you Bermondsey Square Hotel!

Room Tip: Lucy Suite
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Had a 2-night stay here and didn't have any problems. Upon arrival we were asked if we wanted to upgrade to a suite and were even taken up to see the suite and the standard room so we could make up our minds. I have to say the suite didn't exactly look overwhelmingly better than the standard room, beyond a couple of armchairs and a small balcony, so we stuck with the standard room. It was absolutely fine - big enough for 2 without being huge (but not so small you couldn't move), nice clean, large, modern bathroom with huge shower cubicle, comfy bed. The only slight negative was the storage - there were only 4 coat hangers on little rails rather than any decent wardrobe space, so if you are thinking of staying here for longer you may have to resign yourself to living out of your suitcase. We only had 2 nights so it wasn't a problem for us. The reception staff were all friendly and efficient without being false or gushing. We found the area to be interesting - Bermondsey Street has a number of great bars and restaurants and a nice feel, not particularly touristy, it felt more like a residential area. It was about a 10-15 minute walk to the Borough Tube station, or slightly longer to London Bridge - but you get fantastic views of the Shard if you go that way. You're also very close to bus routes.

We were getting a train from London Bridge station which is why we stayed here, and I'm glad we did as it was good to stay in a different area slightly out of the centre. The hotel was fine - no frills and not 'wow', but it had everything we needed and we got a good rate. I'd rate it 3.5 overall and would say give it a go if you're considering staying in this area.

1 Thank MsHMcr
Dear belcasino
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I appreciate your honest feedback. We have designed the rooms to be without a wardrobe in order to maximize the space available to our guests and most people are content with the compromise and we'll always bring up some more hangers if asked. The suites do offer greater storage and might be better suited to long stay guests. Hope to see you again soon.
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Good location for sightseeing which was the main reason for our trip, loads of attractions within walking distance. Really comfortable beds, spacious rooms, lovely food in the GB Grill & Bar. All staff were very helpful, polite and attentive during our 2 night stay especially Amelia & Claire on the reception. Would definitely recommend to others and hopefully stay again soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words. We'll look forward to welcoming you back soon.