“A VERY GOOD HOTEL AND PACKAGE”

The Bermondsey Square Hotel
Ranked #268 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“A VERY GOOD HOTEL AND PACKAGE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a fantastic midweek getaway at the Bermondsey hotel. Very nice room, a very warm welcome from the gentleman that was at the reception at the time. He greeted an spoke to us as if he knew us before and provided us with a lot of information and tips about the surrounding area. There was nothing that he didn't knew or couldn't help us with. That's service with a smile. Thank you for a pleasurable stay will be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Nagesh S
Robert_Holland, General Manager at The Bermondsey Square Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Nagesh
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you got a chance to explore the area. Borough Market and the Southbank are only a 15 minute walk away and with the weather that we are enjoying at the moment it's lovely just to wander around and take in the locality.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
LEICESTERSHIRE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

we stayed for a weekend benefiting from stay Saturday get Sunday for £54,rooms were neat ,clean,tidy with all usual ,flatscreen tv, fridge,neat work desk, several power points ,good wifi bathroom really clean with soft towels and complimentary shampoos\shower\soap etc.Location brilliant for The Tower\St Pauls\Shard\HMS Belfast easy connections from underground \overground from London Bridge\Shard station -soon to open a huge exclusive shopping centre attached to it.Nice organic market in the square outside,small cinema,small Sainsburys,cocktail bar all there.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of Shard and go too rooftop hot tub !
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Robert_Holland, General Manager at The Bermondsey Square Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Dariusczar
Thank you for your kind review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here for the duration of We Are FSTVL 2014. The staff was very nice and helpful and we enjoyed the time spent here. Room service was prompt and the room was always clean. I kindly recommend a room with a view of The Shard, which is about 10 minutes away and very close to The Tower of London, also within walking distance.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with a view of The Shard.
Amsterdam, Nederland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here on a business trip recently. This is definitely not a hotel that tries to wow you with its exterior or lobby area. On the contrary almost. The rooms are clean and spacious (in London terms) although I would recommend the management starts thinking about a refurbishment in a not so distant future. I got to my room around 22:00 every night and found myself obliged to order the late-night room service. I had a salad, a burger with fries and a selection of British cheeses for dessert. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The next night I again ordered room service and once more the meal exceeded my expectations (which are generally not low). I would be happy to stay here again.

For those of you who would like to stay here while on a tourist trip, please note that the hotel is not close to a London underground station (Waterloo station is a 15 min walk). There is a bus stop opposite the hotel which will take you to Westminister Bridge in 10 minutes.

If you do not want to eat in the hotel, cross the street and you will find yourself in Bermondsey Street where you have plenty of choice (Village East, Pizarro, José, Zucca, Ticino, The Garrison to name a few).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Foodie400
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I found the staff to be very helpful and very much a no fuss hotel. Small friendly check in with helpful staff, restaraunt is very good and food of a good standard. Location may not be close to most of the attractions but this was not an issue for me. It meant fairly quiet nights with no busy road traffic to be heard, thats good in London. Room was clean and nicely styled. Enjoyed the rain shower and an aircon that actually worked. When I return to London this will be the first hotel to look up. The price is very reasonable and outside across the square is a useful little super market. Well done to the staff at this hotel and keep up the friendly, can do attitude...it works well

1 Thank terry b
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The Bermondsey Hotel promises to be a funky place to stay. Unless you book a room on the top floor there's not much funk about it.
There is no parking facility at the hotel. The nearest car park is a 15 minute walk away and will set you back £20 per day.

Reception is a small area with no one to greet you at the door. Even for a 'funky' hotel a 'cheeky chappy' at the door to meet and greet you, help you with your bags and give you a blurb about the pubs and clubs in the area might have been a warmer welcome. Instead you let yourself in and are met with a  functional receptionist who takes your details and tells you what floor you're on.
The cleanliness of the hotel is something to be desired, although our room on first impression appeared spotless, closer inspection proved otherwise.

There is a quirkiness to the restaurant with odd artifacts hung on walls and scattered about the place in an attempt to give you the feeling that you were somewhere 'cool'.
The staff were friendly but customer service is at its most basic and lacking in detail. Definately an area in need of improvement.

Dinner was included our package and we were promptly given a 333 menu. After making inquiries about the a la cart menu we asked what our allocation was to which we were told they couldnt tell us but the 333 menu was included in our package.
No information on our allocation was offered and no option to use our allocation against the a la cart menu given. We advised them that's what we'd be doing which they accepted.For someone not offay with the industry in such a case the dining experience would have been limited.
The food was good but lacked finesse. One of our starters was salt beef and  quail egg salad - seriously lacking in salt beef. The other starter was salmon fish cake with a spinach liquor - the fish cake was delicious ,sadly drowning in what appeared to be more like spinach soup.
Main coarse was good and to end we opted for a sweet and a cheese plate. The cheese plate was disappointing with a very poor selection ,3 pieces of cheese to be precise, and the smallest of portions.For this we were charged a suppliment, the amount of wich I could have run across the square to sainsbury and bought a whole block of my favorite cheese!
After dinner we retired to our room. Thankfully we had a great nights sleep in a very comfortable bed.
In the morning we went down for breakfast. After having been shown to our table and given the breakfast menu we were basically left to our own devises with no explanation about the small continental buffet or about where we could find the fruit juice or that tea and coffee were self served from coffee pots placed near the little buffet station.
We both orderd the full English wich was disappointing. Eggs were over cooked, bacon bone dry, mushrooms and tomatoes shrivelled. It didn't look or taste fresh.
Check out was 11 am. We finished breakfast at 10 and had no reason to stay any longer so we left.
When we checked out we examined the bill to find we'd been charged for beverages we hadn't orderd. When the bill was amended we were charged for lunch which we hadn't eaten. Finally our third bill was correct.
Our stay at the Bermondsey Hotel was a red letter gift. We chose the Bermondsey because it looked exciting and fibrant and different from the norm. We'd been looking forward to our stay with great anticipation and some expectation.  The room we were initially allocated was so small I felt claustrophobic and the bathroom didnt even have a bath in it. Personally I prefer a bath to a shower. I was ready to leave there and then. Thankfully my husband was able to get us an upgrade to a suite ,at a price,  which was better. Even so, overall, sadly the funk was a flunk and we didn't leave wishing we could stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leokadia H
Dear Leokadia
I appreciate your taking the time to review our hotel. I take on board your suggestions about the restaurant and I will address these with my team as we can be less restrictive in regards to the preset menus. Our rooms are somewhat unusual and enjoyed by the majority of our guests but this will always be subjective. In regards to parking when asked we always steer our guests towards the car park on Tower Bridge Road that charges £10/day. I do hope that some of the positives that you mentioned would encourage you to return to the hotel on future visits to London.
climping
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent two nights here as a birthday treat for my husband. The rooms are spacious & spotlessly clean. We were disappointed by the restaurant & bar staff who could barely speak English. It was difficult to order a beer & trying to get white toast & brown sauce for breakfast took several attempts. At breakfast no-one explained where to get various items & we only discovered the fruit juice when we saw other people helping themselves from the union jack fridge! We booked a meal deal in the restaurant to include wine which on the night the restaurant were totally unaware of. Even though I emailed the hotel a copy of my confirmation of this they still wouldn't believe me on the night! This was sorted out when we checked out but it had already left a sour taste. The evening menu is very limited so I would recommend going out. Great location, quirky up & coming area.

Dear Katep35
Thank you for you review. I do apologize that there was clearly a mis communication within my team about your package and I will be emailing you separately to address this.
Kind regards