“Great Area”

Ranked #297 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Auckland
“Great Area”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed there for one night after being recommended by friend. Local eateries and shops in Bermondsey Street looked awesome but we were too tired to try. Handy to Tower Bridge and the Shard.

Beds was comfortable and room well appointed. Food in resturant was good as was food at restuarant across the square.

Friendly and helpful staff and no reason for complaint.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert_Holland, General Manager at The Bermondsey Square Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear David Quinn
Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to enjoy a little of our neighborhood. Hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
london
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I returned to this Hotel in May on business around the area.Smooth check in process,free wifi and comfy beds.Tried the dinner and breakfast and service was great in the Grill.I cannot fault this hotel on any aspect.I plan to come back with my family.Thank you so much Bermondsey Square Hotel staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Where to begin? Firstly, how this hotel achieved a four star rating is truly mind-boggling. On 24th July I booked for three nights in August, specifically requesting an end of corridor (away from the lifts) quiet room, and was supposedly given such a room, given the number of said room and assured that it would be held for me. I also booked the room next door for my son and his partner, having not seen them for some time and looking forward to being close to them. I telephoned the hotel the day before our arrival to make sure that we were still in the same rooms, and was ASSURED that the same rooms were held for us.

On arrival I was told by an unfriendly receptionist that I was in a completely different room, my son being some distance away, and was asked to check into a mid-corridor room. I refused to do this without speaking to the manager first. I was asked to "wait a couple of minutes"; some twenty minutes later the manager arrived, and far from being apologetic, simply said we should not have been promised the rooms we booked. I would have expected a polite apology, and an offer of a free upgrade. In the end, we did get an upgrade, along with our son, but only because I absolutely insisted on it.

If we were "upgraded", I hate to think what our original room was like! Apart from a larger shower, a bottle of water and a free newspaper, there was little to recommend the "upgrade". The room was tiny, with no storage space for clothes whatsover, meaning we had to live out of our suitcase. We were mid-corridor, with our son further down the corridor. We could hear every word that was said by neighbours and people above and below, and the door banging was horrendous.

We had no opening windows. The air conditioning was simply appalling, sounding like a loud lorry engine running, and it directed an icy cold blast to the face when in bed. We therefore had to turn off the a/c at night, which meant it was like trying to sleep in a sauna.

The maitre de in the restaurant at breakfast time was far from welcoming on the first morning, and on the second morning it was a different chap who was clearly totally out of his depth. All the empty tables were covered in debris, with no-one interested in clearing them, resulting in a fair wait for a table and then service. By the time the waitress took our order, I had lost all appetite for food, but when I advised the manager on reception when checking out that I had not had my breakfast that day, it was met with complete indifference.

In summary: reception staff lacking any people skills and finesse; well-meaning but badly managed restaurant staff; small rooms with no sound-proofing and efficient air conditioning. I could go on, but why bother, when wild horses would not get me to return there.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Vivien B
Dear Vivien B
Thank you for your comments and for allowing me the time to discuss your stay with you last week. I have spoken to my team about changing the room allocation and I am very sorry that this was done without first informing you. I do hope that we'll have another opportunity to change your opinion of the hotel on your next stay.
Kind regards
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Loved the hotel. Staff were 5* rooms were modern clean. My only disappointment was the restaurant very poor choice on the menu unless your a steak fan there was not a lot else to choose from but all round nice place to stay would definitely stay again

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for three nights during a business trip. The room was in perfect condition and absolutely clean.
I had dinner at the ground floor restaurant where I found good food and professional service!

The location is wonderful! 5minutes from the tower bridge in a very nice typical area with restaurants and bars.. And away from the common tourist destinations.

The only thing that I did not like is that the hotel is selling European power adaptors instead of lending them to the guest!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank blackhat77
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights in August and loved my stay. The room was modern and clean, with a very comfortable bed. There is a restaurant below the hotel which had a nice breakfast and served a nice wine and dinner at night. There is even a little supermarket across the square which was very handy. After walking around all day looking at the city I would have preferred to be a little closer to the underground, but London Bridge station is only about a 10 minute walk away and from here it was very easy to get to the airport and attractions. Lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Danielle P
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We were moved here from another hotel that is apparently notorious for overbooking, but I took a chance and booked with the original hotel 5 months in advance. Regardless they overbooked and sent us here. At first we were totally resentful at the situation.
After staying at this hotel we were actually so impressed by it that my husband kept saying he wished we booked at the Bermondsey.
After only one night we decided that the room was great, beds were fantastic (got great sleep), the neighbourhood is amazing (lively in the right times and quiet when it should be) and the staff were outstanding. Our dealings with the front desk staff, management and the restaurant staff made us feel welcome and respected.
I strongly recommend this hotel. If we are to return, I look forward to making it my first choice.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank j0squared
Robert_Holland, General Manager at The Bermondsey Square Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear j0squared
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and have shared your comments with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you visit London.