“Great food ”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I regularly frequent this Chinese and I have to say I've never been disappointed yet - great food excellent staff and nice setting - you won't go wrong here - if there was one negative the prices are a little higher than one would hope for but don't let that put you off

1  Thank Michael W
There are newer reviews for China City - Russell Square

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a nice restaurant with decent leaseholds. Food is good and prices are in line. I ate there several times before I noticed that there is a service charge on the bill. Since I tip 20%, they were actually getting over 30% (Taking into account the tip on the service charge.). On my last visit they wouldn't take my Credit Card because the bill total was too low - I think 15 Pounds is the minimum. I consider this to be very unfriendly and have not been back.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

In short:
- tiny restaurant, chock full already at very early dinner time. Almost only Oriental punters, which we took as a good sign
- service SLOW, my goodness, I was flabbergasted -- but nice, accurate and friendly
- honest food. Standard fare, no haute cuisine here. Just what you would expect from a local, run-of-the-mill Chinese restaurant.
- good value: entree, mains and a side dish for two costed us about £30.

A big bonus for me was the atmosphere. Maybe because it was cold outside, because we were in a good mood and the staff and the other punters seemed all of a loquacious, nice disposition, maybe the simplicity of the decor -- it was unbelievably cosy and comfy and homely and reassuring, I could have purred in front of my food. So, yup, four stars mostly for this.

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here probably 4times . Quality of food is excellent ,service is good . One can't go wrong here . That said there is quite a few good Chinese around this part of Russell Square !

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I used to go here every Saturday for dim sum since I live locally but the service was terrible. Out of several visits only once was it okay. The food wasn't bad. But finally after a few bad experiences I've decided never to return to this restaurant. I'd rather travel further for a better experience, and the strange thing I've noticed is that even on a sat afternoon they were always empty.

So the slow service doesn't have any excuses. As for decor, it's in a pretty decent location and the restaurant looks well furnished. Sadly it's being run by a bunch of people who clearly do not care too much

2  Thank anthony l