“A great business lunch ...”

China City - Russell Square
Ranked #5,326 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
London, United Kingdom
“A great business lunch ...”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Because our company dining room is closed for refurbishment, I organised an off-site working lunch for senior UK colleagues and their senior Chinese counterparts visiting London.

The menu of multiple dishes was chosen a day or two in advance from the set menu: Canton Banquet. We arrived on time, we were served on time, we left on time.

The food was hot, fresh, delicious and very (very) plentiful. The Chinese colleagues seemed quite happy with what they were served; the Brits definitely were.

Being sat around adjacent large circular tables, the cooperative sharing of food from the large rotating tray at each table's centre was a real icebreaker, warming up the somewhat formal atmosphere of the morning meetings. And of course much entertainment was provided by non-Chinese chopstick skills.

The menu choices here are wide, and the overall cost was well within company limits. Service was efficient and unobtrusive.

This is no-nonsense - but very satisfying - lunchtime dining! I think the cavernous dining room could be rather austere if dining alone or in a pair if the place is not full. Apart from us there were few other diners.

But all-in-all it was a great place to breakout from the long day in the offices, and much better than the in-office executive sandwich lunch alternative at about the same price. We'd use this place again to feed visiting business colleagues.

• Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

No tablecloths and table was sticky and severely worn out!

Food below average. Seafood cooked from frozen and likely to have been in the freezer for ages - quite obvious from the texture compared to ones we have had in other restaurants cooked from fresh. Ordered monkfish and got cheaper fish in disguise!

Serving dishes were badly chipped and should have been thrown out ages ago.

Service was awful. Had to stand, wave and yell to get any attention. While not rude they were really disinterested!

Lastly the bill - they wrote the total figure (no breakdown at all) on a piece of plain paper, together is a handwritten list of the order in a tiny bit of paper! We asked them (after waving and yelling again for attention) to sort this out. Really unacceptable.

The whole place had the feeling that they were on their last legs and and would be closing down any minute!

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Hiang L
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great food ”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I regularly frequent this Chinese and I have to say I've never been disappointed yet - great food excellent staff and nice setting - you won't go wrong here - if there was one negative the prices are a little higher than one would hope for but don't let that put you off

1 Thank Michael W
Toronto, Canada
“Good Food”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a nice restaurant with decent leaseholds. Food is good and prices are in line. I ate there several times before I noticed that there is a service charge on the bill. Since I tip 20%, they were actually getting over 30% (Taking into account the tip on the service charge.). On my last visit they wouldn't take my Credit Card because the bill total was too low - I think 15 Pounds is the minimum. I consider this to be very unfriendly and have not been back.

• Visited June 2013
London
“Nice prices and atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

In short:
- tiny restaurant, chock full already at very early dinner time. Almost only Oriental punters, which we took as a good sign
- service SLOW, my goodness, I was flabbergasted -- but nice, accurate and friendly
- honest food. Standard fare, no haute cuisine here. Just what you would expect from a local, run-of-the-mill Chinese restaurant.
- good value: entree, mains and a side dish for two costed us about £30.

A big bonus for me was the atmosphere. Maybe because it was cold outside, because we were in a good mood and the staff and the other punters seemed all of a loquacious, nice disposition, maybe the simplicity of the decor -- it was unbelievably cosy and comfy and homely and reassuring, I could have purred in front of my food. So, yup, four stars mostly for this.

• Visited April 2014