“Home from home cooking - Sardinia”
Review of Isola del Sole

Isola del Sole
Ranked #5,708 of 25,043 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$9 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Isola del Sole is the door to the Mediterranean in south-west London. With fresh and daily-made pasta, an array of flavours and the rich passion of life in every dish, this little Sardinian jewel is enough to make you feel like you're dining out by the Italian coast rather than by the bustling sounds of Putney. We are open Monday to Saturday, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Simple and tasty, dishes you may not find outside Sardinia - like Seadas - deep fried raviolo stuffed with pecorino and topped with honey and lemon zest.... preceded by wild boar ragu. Unusual and all for £30 per head inc coffee and drinks.

1  Thank ealingmc

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I visited the restaurant recently with a friend and I only have praise for the great evening I had. The food was delicious, I had the tortino di melanzana to start followed by the sea bass with prawns, both dishes were wonderful and the fish was cooked to perfection. If you love fresh flavoursome Italian food then this restaurant is ideal. The service was great, the atmosphere was warm along with the relaxing music made a very enjoyable night. Highly recommend, a hidden gem in Putney.

4  Thank Charlotte H
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Having just got back from a vacation in Sardinia in September, me and friends were desperate to find a good Italian restaurant around the Putney area. After weeks of searching I'm glad to say we found this small gem in the Lacy Road area. I ordered the 'Tortini di Melanzane' (Aubergine rolls) as a starter, followed by the gorgeous 'Tagliatelle allo Scoglio' pasta dish. My friends ordered other dishes like the pork and the ravioli. I can safely say it was like returning to the Mediterranean island, it has been a long time since I've had food as worthwhile as this. Moreover, the service was an absolute pleasure, with the atmosphere being welcoming a warm - a delight in the November month. It's safe to say we will definitely be making another appearance very soon! Highly recommend it.

5  Thank Elizabeth T
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I live close to this restaurant and more than once I wanted to give it a go, I finally tried it last week and what a disappointment! I ordered pasta with prawn and scampi, instead I got pasta with prawn and octopus. None told me they ran out of scampi and asked me if I wanted octopus instead. My husband ordered pasta with crab and prawns and it was horrible we just ate it a bit as the smell and taste were awful. Plus when we said it smelt like spoilt, the chef said the smell was because of the fresh crab...well, we had fresh crab many times (in different restaurants) and the smell was delicious, not in this case though! Maybe they think their costumers can't understand the difference between scampi and octopus, or fresh crab and spoilt crab!

1  Thank Aplieppo
massimousai, Manager at Isola del Sole, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hi Aplieppo
unfortunately you couldn't have order "pasta with scampi and prawns" because we DON'T HAVE on the menu but we have Pasta with Cuttle Fish, Prawns and Scallops and we couldn't have serve any octopus because we DON't use any octopus in our pastas so I think you have just confused Cuttle fish with octopus and scampi with scallops.
Our clients knows very well the difference between scampi and octopus or fresh crab and frozen crab and also our chef knows very well .

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Had dinner at this restaurant yesterday with my wife (we are both Italians). The location is convenient and the atmosphere is nice until....you order food! The starters were actually quite good but the issues came up when we ordered the mains!
We had pasta allo scoglio and it smelt terrible, the fish had clearly something wrong and was not fresh at all so we decided to mention that to the waitress (something I have never done before) asking her to take the food back and bring something else. At that point the chef came out of the kitchen insisting the food was good/the fish was fresh and trying to persuade us to eat the food we were served which I found unbelievable!
In summary, Italian food is great but just go somewhere else!
Filippo

1  Thank Filippo C
massimousai, Manager at Isola del Sole, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Filippo,

I never reply to our customers’ comments whether good or not but in this case I feel compelled to make an exception. This Susanna, the chef you mentioned in your review, and I write just to remind you what we both know. When I came to your table to assess your complaint not only I did not insist for you to eat the fish but I insisted in taking the fish away against your will – purely because I don’t like any of my clients to eat something if they don’t feel like it.

As for the fish, I was sure of its freshness not only because I cooked it but also because I was the person who had checked and authorised all the deliveries from Covent Garden’s Market early that morning. And sure, I stated this to you – as I feel that it is the duty and responsibility of the chef to personally deal with any complaint related to the food. I’m very sad to read instead that my concern and attention to your needs seem to have irritated you even more, up to the point of writing such a damaging and unfair review. Sorry to understand that you don’t seem to be accustomed to such care and attention.

And anyhow, had the fish’s smell been “terrible” as you state, how you could eat the other one that I cooked as a replacement? How could you trust a kitchen that had previously served you rotten fish? Moreover, how the customers who were eating half of that very fish next to your table could not perceive any issue? Or do you really believe, as you unkindly seem to you suggest, that only Italians can recognise fresh fish from the rotten one?

I’m also sorry to learn here and not when I came to your table to check again after you eat all your replacement ‘Pasta allo scoglio’, that you weren’t happy. So peculiar that after a fault that – had it been as you describe here – would have deserved to be reported to the food health authorities, you went on eating and waived to me a goodbye as the happiest customer in the world. You could be more proud of yourself if you had chosen that moment, and not this public yet anonymous forum, to express such strong thoughts on this incident.

Regards