“Delightful surprise”

Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Roaming Spitalfields early on a Saturday evening looking in vain for something appealing to eat we settled on Las Iguanas. It was almost empty in the downstairs bar area, so we did not expect the upstairs eating area to be so packed, as other restaurants in the area were not busy. The menu contained a few tempting vegetarian choices and we both settled on the butternut squash chimichangas, which were delicious! Just the right amount of heat and a good balance of flavours. We will be back!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I went here with a work colleague for lunch on Friday and we were terribly disappointed. It was really busy when we arrived which we thought was a good sign however it soon became clear the restaurant was understaffed and couldn't handle the sheer number of people in their restaurant. When we sat down we asked how long the food was likely to take to come out after ordering, as we had to get back to work after an hour, and was told that depending on what you ordered it could take around 20 minutes which we thought was fair bearing in mind the number of people sat down We had to wait about 15 minutes just to order our food and drinks from sitting down. The drinks took a further 10 minutes to arrive and the food from ordering, after prompting to the staff who told us that they had to specifically grill our bread (slightly toast it) took 40 minutes to arrive which really was unacceptable as we only ordered two sandwiches and people that ordered after us were getting their food before us, food which appeared to be more complex to cook. To make matters worse when we finally received the food my fried chicken sandwich was cremated, the chicken was chewy and very fatty so much so that I only ate the chips. My friend had the shredded steak sandwich which had the tiniest amount of shredded steak and was smothered in beetroot so much so that it was hard to find the steak. As we had waited so long for the food we had to eat as quickly as we could and both only had the chips as the sandwiches were quite frankly revolting. I honestly could have got a better meal at KFC in a fraction of the time. There seemed to be no organisation with staff running around all over the place and while we were waiting for our food I witnessed two different groups of people complaining about the lengthy wait for food and asking if it would be much longer. I honestly wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone, the service was poor, the food was poor, a complete waste of money. Anyone considering going to this restaurant, seriously don't bother. There are much better restaurants in the Spitalfields market that really are worth your money.

LasIguanasHQ, Owner at Las Iguanas - Spitalfields, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't see us at our best on your visit last week. You seem to have caught us on the hop and this certainly isn't representative of what we expect from our branches. We are proud of our menu and our fresh food, and have high service standards for our teams. I would like to arrange for the area manager to give you a call to follow up- please can you email me on lucy@iguanas.co.uk with a contact number, your name and trip advisor ID? Lucy- Las Iguanas

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've eaten at Las Iguanas before so knew what to expect and the Spitalfields branch didn't let me down. There was a bit of an awkward welcome - there was no-one to seat us so we had to wander about for a while before we could find someone to give us a table but it was forgiveable as a large party had just arrived. We were served really quickly and had the excellent XinXim which was really nice. It was a Monday night after 9pm but Happy Hour lasts until closing so I got two cocktails for the price of one. My friend wanted a certain cocktail but it wasn't available because they had run out of jam (?) but the alternative that the waitress suggested was just as good. The waitress Ana was lovely, very warm and smiley and welcoming. I would definitely visit here again, it was nice to try to eat after nine and not be treated like you were in the way.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I went to dinner at the spitalfields branch last week. The cocktails were good and the service was excellent. The food is Latin and tapas style which was perfect to remember our trip to South America and Spain with my friends. Good food and good value. My waitress was called carolin. I think she was from Colombian. With my friend we followed her recommendations so we decided to go for the Brazilian dishes xinxim and moqueca, great choices. I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

As soon as I walked into this joint I felt as thought I was on holiday as the décor is lovely and there is a great atmos.I was very impressed with the menu ,especially as I am a vegetarian and there was plenty of choice. We came as a group of around ten on a Saturday and had no problems getting a table. It's a fun, lively, attractive place to spend time in and I would definitely recommend.