“F&%^$# good stuff Gordon”
Review of Maze

Maze
Ranked #699 of 23,392 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Asian, French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: A fusion of taste and style, the combination of French and Asian influences offers a unique tasting experience. Award winning menus with classic cocktail offerings. Sushi at maze takes centre stage in the bar with the freshest selection of sushi and sashimi created in front of you.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were on holiday and in London for a week. On this particular day had walked along Oxford St looking at shops and randomly turned towards Glouster Square for a walk. It was about 6.30pm when we stumbled across the Maze, knowing it only from Gordon's TV reputation. I thought, this will be expensive, but why not.

We had no booking, but chanced our luck anyway. The staff could not have been more obliging (and put our shopping in the cloak room). Yes there was a table (as long as we were finished by 8.30 as they had a later booking - a bonus for Gordon I guess, doubling up on table use).

Is Gordon in? 'He was here ealier today with some clients in the Grill and ate with them' chatted the waiter - a second waiter later confirmed the same story. Does he swear as much as on TV? "&^%$ yes".

We chose the set 4 couse menu, on top of which come an amuse bouche and some addtional titbits such as petit four at the end. I'm not going to give a course by course breakdown, I'm not a food writer, merely someone who appreciates good food and different cuisines. I thought the quality was very good and the serving sizes reasonable. I am a big Aussie and I did not go away hungry.

Was it expensive? At £30 I thought the food was an absolute bargain for what it was, and it might stay that way if you only drank water. But what party pooper does that. But Gordon, £59 for that £10 bottle of wine sure discouraged me having another one, or from paying £100 for a better one.

But overall I was very happy, the food and service were excellent, the overall cost was not as much as I expected, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Looking forward to next time.

PS. a small tip for waiters - dont be too attentive - the restaurant wasnt full at 6.30, but dont hover and refill my glass after every sip, wait until it needs to be refilled.

2  Thank John D

Reviewed 11 July 2014

last time in London we had the special four course lunch, an absolute steal at about £30. The food here is always changing and challenging, delicious and I think the portions are getting a little bigger too. first time there I managed 8 courses, this time four were more than enough. Looking forward to the next time.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Either Gordon Ramsey hasn't been there in awhile or his persona on tv is just for tv. The standards that he discusses in his tv shows are not upheld in this restaurant. My husband and I both received dishes with hugs pieces of fat on the meat, as well as our food not coming at the same time. The restaurant itself is so loud that you cannot hear the waiters describing the wine or the dishes that are placed in front of you. I could hardly hear my husband who was less than 2 feet away from me. The website states that men need to be in jackets, however most of the men in the restaurant were not. My husband and I had the hardest time trying to order drink refils, to include being told that the bar was out of whiskey, really?!?

1  Thank acruzicka
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Food good..but hardly anything on the plate,I think Gordon needs a few quid as he scrimps on the food..my husband ordered a rice pudding for afters and requested the large portion, when it arrived he told the waiter he ordered the large one and he said it was..there was 2 table spoons there...couldn't stop laughing at my husbands face....

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Overall a very good experience. Everything (save the ravioli) was very tasteful. But the major drawback of Maze is missing the air of effortless performance of great restaurants. Seemed slightly pompous and trying too hard which was evident to the trained eye. Best dish we had was the mousse de foie gras. The sushi platter very good but Nobu does it slightly better. Halibut was excellent. The lobster, prawns and salmon ravioli was nothing to write home about ; better try the one cooked by Joel Robuchon at his Atelier. Bread was mediocre; needs revisiting. Wine list good and extensive but an iPad wine list not quite chic... Unfortunately they had run out of their signature dessert, the "molecular" lemon mousse.