“friendly staff but.....”

Cuisines: Asian, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: A fusion of taste and style, the combination of French and Asian influences offers a unique tasting experience. Award winning menus with classic cocktail offerings. Sushi at maze takes centre stage in the bar with the freshest selection of sushi and sashimi created in front of you.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have not been here since Jason Athrton left. To be fair, my friend and I only had the £30 lunch menu - 4 courses and a Bellini. The receptionists were charming as were the waiting staff though they needed a few lessons in English pronunciation. One could choose 4 savoury or 3 plus one dessert or 2 plus 2 desserts (there were only 2 desserts). Firstly for me a Bellini is the invention at Harry's Bar for Hemmingway of proseco and peach not pear nor raspberry or any other fruit. So a pear Bellini was a disappointment We both chose from the savoury list since neither of us has a sweet tooth but our choices of soup, duck, pork, salmon, bream all left a sweet aftertaste which spoilt what would have been a pleasant meal - we decided that there was a oriental touch to these dishes which might account for the sweetness. Pity

Write a ReviewReviews (3,141)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The food was exquisite, and the service excellent. Was particularly impressed with the separate vegetarian menu and the chef's willingness to adapt to gluten-free requests. We selected three courses from the menu, but really could have limited ourselves to two, plus dessert. Found it to be rather pricey.

1  Thank Charmane R
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Unfortunately the £150 for 2, 5 Course Taster menu did not encourage a return visit. Good quality ingredients spoilt by lesser quality execution. Totally missed the point of the Cucumber Veloute, Delicious scallops overwhelmed by the overpowering taste of crushed peas which included a 'wasabi' type ingredient so strong that it instantly went up your nose causing you to sneeze. I realised that I had probably made a mistake by ordering the pigeon and I was right. Obviously the portion would be small but it would be delicately flavoured. However I found it to be very bland and looked enviously at the duck my husband had ordered. He kindly gave me a taste but again not very flavoursome and then he had to put a piece of gristle to one side! The strawberry and mint 'dessert' which I presume was to cleanse the palate was very nice but too rich particularly when followed by the white chocolate cheese cake. It would have made an excellent standalone dessert in its own right. On the plus side it was observed that we had not finished the cucumber veloute and the waiter quickly offered to replace the dish if required. Thereafter we appreciated the manager visiting us and listening to our comments to take back to the chef. The staff remained cheerful and very pleasant in an extremely busy environment. However not the fine dining experience we were expecting.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were on holiday and in London for a week. On this particular day had walked along Oxford St looking at shops and randomly turned towards Glouster Square for a walk. It was about 6.30pm when we stumbled across the Maze, knowing it only from Gordon's TV reputation. I thought, this will be expensive, but why not.

We had no booking, but chanced our luck anyway. The staff could not have been more obliging (and put our shopping in the cloak room). Yes there was a table (as long as we were finished by 8.30 as they had a later booking - a bonus for Gordon I guess, doubling up on table use).

Is Gordon in? 'He was here ealier today with some clients in the Grill and ate with them' chatted the waiter - a second waiter later confirmed the same story. Does he swear as much as on TV? "&^%$ yes".

We chose the set 4 couse menu, on top of which come an amuse bouche and some addtional titbits such as petit four at the end. I'm not going to give a course by course breakdown, I'm not a food writer, merely someone who appreciates good food and different cuisines. I thought the quality was very good and the serving sizes reasonable. I am a big Aussie and I did not go away hungry.

Was it expensive? At £30 I thought the food was an absolute bargain for what it was, and it might stay that way if you only drank water. But what party pooper does that. But Gordon, £59 for that £10 bottle of wine sure discouraged me having another one, or from paying £100 for a better one.

But overall I was very happy, the food and service were excellent, the overall cost was not as much as I expected, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Looking forward to next time.

PS. a small tip for waiters - dont be too attentive - the restaurant wasnt full at 6.30, but dont hover and refill my glass after every sip, wait until it needs to be refilled.

2  Thank John D
Reviewed 11 July 2014

last time in London we had the special four course lunch, an absolute steal at about £30. The food here is always changing and challenging, delicious and I think the portions are getting a little bigger too. first time there I managed 8 courses, this time four were more than enough. Looking forward to the next time.