“Excellent food- service slightly slow”
Review of Red Chilli

Red Chilli
Ranked #2,884 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Whitechapel
Reviewed 2 April 2014

To me it is one of the best Indian in London for that kind of price range. We live in east london so we have been there numerous time and always loved the food. When there are some people visiting from abroad and we want to bring them to an Indian restaurant, we always go there now and the staff is always super friendly with us and patient when our friends ask tons of questions about the dishes. Honestly, I think it is as good the world famous Tayyabs for the food but better for the rest! At tayyabs, it is always super super crowdy with waiters running everywhere and there is always so much smoke inside the restaurant... here nothing like that. It is a relaxed place where you can enjoy the lovely food. The only negative point I have- which is the reason why I put 4 stars- is that the service is a bit slow.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

great informal atmosphere, nice environment very good service,food was very testy and full of flavour, actually my husband and I had dinner for my birth day . I am really happy for everything. the staff were both attentive and friendly. we live locally , so expect to be booking a table again very soon

Reviewed 18 March 2014

It's really hard to write a review when you had some of the tastiest Indian food you have ever eaten but received average to poor service but ideally I would offer them a 3 & a half out of 5 for last nights meal.
The 4 of us were drawn in by the cosy, interesting & warm looking interior so thought we would take a chance. We found it quite difficult to get the waiters attention once we were seated even though the restaurant was empty & annoyingly my menu had chutney all over it which covered my hands & made them sticky.
The food choice is great & there are whole pages dedicated to vegetarians which we all are.
Once we received our food we were very impressed, the Sag Aloo was the best I have ever eaten & my veggie masala was perfection. Hot, fresh poppadoms, delicious peswari naan bread & although the food is a couple of quid more pricey than your average curry house I could tell in the quality of the food why. The portions were very generous & we were all left very full. The only minor complaint was the chilli cheese naan didn't taste of chilli or cheese & could not be detected.
Now the main problem was that during the 30 minutes we we're eating no none came to check everything was ok with our meal, I don't need to be constantly checked on but I was thirsty & it would have been nice to have been checked on once so I could order more water.
Once we finished the meal the waiter pointed out a couple of times when taking our payment on card that service wasn't included & kept pointing out how to add service onto the amount on the card reader, I felt this was a bit cheeky & rude considering the service wasn't that great. The waiter wasn't a bad person, just not a great waiter & almost insisting we add service when he didn't do a lot of serving isn't right. We didn't add service.
This has coloured the whole night for me and despite the really good, fresh & delicious food - the service is what let's them down.
I would go here again if I was in the area to give it another chance, maybe on a night with more atmosphere as it was completely empty.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I have taken clients to this Restaurant twice now and we have found the service and food to be very good, I will be re-booking soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We ate here in December 2012, so on a visit to the area again this January we couldnt wait to eat here again, oh dear, how disappointed were we?
Last time we arrived at the restaurant at 23.15 & were made to feel welcome - not so this year.
We arrived here at 22.45 after going to the theatre, we ordered our meals & started with poppadoms and chutnies, whilst I was still eating my poppadoms the waiter took away the chutnies and said "your meals are ready" I have NEVER had this happen any where before, we waited another 5 minutes for our dinners to arrive. The food was delicious. My other half asked for a second bottle of beer - this didnt arrive. Then we were given our bill and were told "we are closed now". When the waiter came to take payment he said " next time can you come between 5 & 6" we looked at him aghast, he said " do you live locally" we said "no, we have been to the theatre, when we were here last Christmas we were welcomed in even though it was later tonight" His response was "if you come again you can have a drink on the house"
I am sorry to say we wont be returning again.
In December 2012 we returned again on our 2nd night stay in the area, this time we went elsewhere after our theatre visit, where we werent made to feel rushed because the staff wanted to go home.