Review of Moroccan Sahara

Moroccan Sahara
Reserve with OpenTable
Moroccan Sahara is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,190 of 22,516 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Description: Drawing on 30 years' experience, Moroccan Sahara conjures the flavours, aromas and ambience of North African dining. Specialising in the national dish of Morocco, the tagine, Moroccan Sahara offers an array of clay pots filled with tender meat, fish and vegetables, and a selective list of complementing native wines. In the dining room, swathes of plush silk fabric, North African portraits and suspended lanterns make for an authentic hideaway.
UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed 1 January 2014

A nice little cosy restaurant. Very good food served by the very hospitable owner and his wife. We had the best harira ever and my favourite the caramelised prunes tagine. A very nice clean restaurant serving freshly cooked food. I also had salloo and bakhia which I was not expecting at all. Very nicely decorated restaurant. Tagines were good but the only option was to eat with couscous. Had to ask for bread for which I was charged. The bill left a bad taste as I had been charged higher prices than the prices advertised at their website and was also charged service charge even though the owner served himself....profit over profit....I guess that's why we were the only people in the restaurant. I will be going back but not for food because it was too pricey. Instead I might go back for argan oil and pure olive oil which the owner claims that he makes it himself.

• Visited December 2013

UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed 30 December 2013

• Visited December 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The menu has a hidden gem”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Ignore its unpromising looks. This is an old-fashioned family Moroccan restaurant and those who walk past have not tried the hidden gem in its menu. The B'astilla - a lightly and subtly spiced round chicken pie, carefully decorated with icing sugar and cinnamon dusted over its thin filo pastry crust - is truly wonderful. It is regarded as royal food at home in Morocco and is rare and expensive there. This quiet little restaurant with its sweet proprietors make it superbly - one of the best bargains in London. Try it once and you will go back - as we do - over and over again.

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Not for weekday visits”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

we have been to Sahara twice and did not eat there the first time because it was too dull and Alounak with its vibrant ambience was close by. Its tiny and in one of the inside lanes and i guess that contributes to the lack of visitors. We went in this time because we had made a reservation and felt guilty but it turned out to be a bad decision. The tagine was alright, not as good as some of the other places. The chicken kebabs were just about ok and did not taste fresh. The mint tea was ok but not as good as the one at Alounak. The old gentleman who i guess owns the place is friendly and courteous although the service was pretty slow. Overall, a very average experience and even slightly boring.

• Visited January 2013
“I can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

Eaten here twice as I stay nearby for work sometimes. Really delicious fresh home cooked food with a simple but tempting menu. Friendly informal atmosphere, I'm just surprised it isn't full every night. This is the first time I have been moved to write a review, I can't wait to go back.