“DISGUSTING!!! AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$25 - US$38
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Description: This classic curry house, located between Kings Cross and Russell Square tube stations in London, is conveniently located for snappy working lunches and post-work Phals. The bright and buzzy restaurant has a modern dining room decorated with fairy lights, blue velvet chairs and crisp linens, and the convivial atmosphere is a hit with local curry aficionados. The kitchen at Tavistock Tandoori cooks up traditional halal Indian and Bengali fare, and we recommend the Prawn Kurma Kashmiri cooked with lychees and cream; the Chicken Dhansak in a sweet and sour lentil sauce; and the Lamb Tikka marinated in yoghurt and spices barbecued in the clay oven. The restaurant has a fully stocked bar with lager on tap.
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DISGUSTING!!! AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I found a hair in my food, was offered a replacement but felt so sick that I could not stomach anything else from that kitchen. The rude arrogant and argumentative waiter refused to not charge me! As I had touched my food!! and only ate about 1/3 (unfortunately!!) Said that the boss wasn't there and he could do nothing! Didn't even apologise. I stupidly paid and left as I hate confrontation and was by myself!! Shocked and discussed!!!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Helen_Young1

Zurich, Switzerland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stopped in because we saw many diners, were hungry and it was a big mistake. It's too bad we couldn't hear what was being said by them until we had been seated and ordered. Believe the bad reviews (which I unfortunately had not read). I've nothing to add to what has previously been written as I am still disgusted by such a waste of money.

• Visited May 2014
Tranås
“A curry, or poison?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

From what I've heard, London's supposed to be famous for their fabolous Indian cuisine. With our hopes up through the roof, we visited our local Indian restaurant, which was Tavistock Tandoori.

Upon arrival, everything seemed fabolous. The setting was just what you'd expect from a local London curry house, and the service was good. We ordered our food, and the waiter recommended drinks to go with that. However, my mother is allergic to chili, and when we ordered we made sure that my mothers dish, chicken korma (which shouldn't have any chili at all in it, if I'm not mistaking), didn't have any chili in it. The waiter assured us that there would be no chili in her dish.

I don't know how to describe the ignorance that followed best, I simply just don't know where to start. First of all, the chicken korma was actually DECORATED with red and green chili. Luckily there was some other dishes at the table that she could eat from without actually suffering. At the end of the meal we pointed this mistake out to the waiter, who at first didn't understand our criticism. When we pointed out that the dish that's not supposed to consist of chili, and that we specifically asked about whether it consists of chili or not, actually DID consist of chili, the waiter replied: "that's not chili, that's red onions"!

England is a country that's produced many great things, but (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I bet they haven't managed to produce the worlds first red onion that's actually both red and green, looks like chili and taste like chili (and even had someone that's allergic to chili react to this mysterious red onion)!

Obviously the tip wasn't going to be big, mainly because of the fact that if my mother would've been more allergic to chili we would've had to spend the rest of our vacation in London at the local hospital. While we enjoyed the last of what was still in our glasses, they passed our table every 30 seconds while looking at us, to mark that they wanted us to leave as soon as we could, possibly because of the small tip we left them. Let me clarify that there wasn't a lack of service, the waiter did his job and I do not wish to put any blame on him. Right is right, there's nothing we can say about the service. But the fact that, what I suppose was, the manager actually stated the same fact as the waiter -- it wasn't chili, it was red onions -- made me realize that this restaurant is a danger. It's quite frightening to think that if someone with a more severe allergy would visit this restaurant, the manager can't even tell the difference between red onion and chili.

Can they see the difference between a bean and a nut?

(I just realized someone referred to this Indian food as "good quality Turkish food", so I guess I can't be that much wrong ...)

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
“Unique - What an Experience!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have been to this establishment before and it was ok so after a long day decided to eat here again. Restaurant busy when I entered but was found a table immediately. To summarise my experience I shall review in a timeline:

7.13 Entered restaurant and shown to table
7.25 Approached for order - now I have a thing in Indian restaurants that I order my drink and poppadoms and order my main later so that it all doesn't come at once. Ordered two poppadoms and a Cobra
7.40 Served order - no lime pickle that was then bought five mins later
7.50 Finished and ordered main
8.30 No sign of order - restaurant not that busy. Two members of staff could surely see I had no food or drink! They did nothing.
8.31 Put coat on, told staff I was leaving and would pay for food I had received and drink. Staff very argumentative, blamed me then subsequently blamed kitchen problems.

Worst experience I have ever had in any restaurant in my travels across UK .Doesn't deserve a star. Never reviewed an establishment so badly.

Visited February 2014
Washington, DC
“Delicious Indian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were fortunately that this small Indian restaurant was across the street from our hostel. We went in for a late dinner (10:00pm) on a Saturday night and the service was great. I got a chicken curry and my husband got a chicken masala and they were both amazing. The portions were perfect and the curry was delightfully spicy. We enjoyed it so much that we went there again the next night with a friend.

• Visited November 2013