“Nice boutique hotel, not the best staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of MStay Hotel 43

MStay Hotel 43
Ranked #111 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Killarney, Ireland
“Nice boutique hotel, not the best staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel last year; very good location in Bayswater and less than 5 minutes to the nearest Undergound station so it was very convenient for sightseeing in London. It's quite a small hotel and a little inconspicuous when trying to find it as there are many hotels and aparthotels on the same street- we arrived a little early to the hotel along with another family that was staying there and we were both met with a very unfriendly "Check in is at 2" from the receptionist. When we asked about storing our luggage while waiting, a key was essentially thrown at us and we were told to go to what was basically a closet on the 2nd floor.
When we eventually got to check-in, our room was nice - quite small but a very funky bathroom, and TV with built in DVD player. Continental breakfast was included - an ok spread but nothing much to fill you up, which is what you need in London as breakfast can be very expensive in restaurants and pubs.
Overall, the hotel was fine but for an area that thrives on tourists, you just don't get the impression from the staff that they care at all, and were not approachable to ask for advice or recommendations.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - if you need a bath, request one as not all of their rooms have one.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Stayed three nights at this hotel, and chose it mainly because of the location (close to Notting Hill, as well as Queenswater and Bayswater tube-stations). The room was at the top floor (fifth) with a view of the backyard. The bed was a bit hard, and only one pillow per person, and only one bed cover to share. There was a constant noise, going on and off, coming from somewhere unknown, which made it hard to sleep. We had to put a towel in front of the door, because there was a gap of a few centimeters between the floor and the door. The breakfast is not much to talk about, a very poor variety and not room for all the guests. Some people had to eat their breakfast standing. After the first day, we decided to have breakfast elsewhere. We had several requests to the staff during our stay, and all requests seemed to be a burden, and we were meet with rolling eyes and an unpleasant tone. We will not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank norerik
Hamilton, Bermuda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I chose Hotel 43 as it was close to the Notting Hill Carnival in order to be in London the night before. I was looking for something basic but will good features. The Hotel 43 covered all our needs adequately. My target price was £100 and I came close. They charge 2% extra for credit cards on check-in.
The hotel is on a side street not far from the Tube Station. It is a quiet street, also home to the Malaysian High Commission and other hotels.
The check in was easy and we were given a card key and code for the main door. We were directed to a door further down the street and we were soon in our 4th floor room. There is a lift (elevator).
The room was small as expected but we were surprised to find an alcove with a sink and refrigerator. There was an in-room safe and towels were positioned on the bed. The bath was fine although I struggled with the controls to get the water temperature right. In the UK you may find two faucets – one for temperature and one for water volume – unlike other places where there is one for hot and one for cold. Anyway, plenty of water pressure and everything was clean and worked fine. I did notice some mildew in the corner of the shower stall that the cleaning staff had missed many times.
I am a big fan of air conditioning and the unit performed flawlessly. The view outside was not remarkable since it was of the building across the street.
The breakfast room was located on the floor below the reception and offered fruit, yoghurt, pastries, cereals, cold sliced meats, milk, juice and coffee or tea. This was included in the rate and provided enough calories to start a good day in London.
In summary, this was a good choice, and I booked ahead well over a month to get a good rate. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Prior to booking I saw mixed reviews on this hotel... either "great" or "awful." I found it to be a good value, clean, budget hotel. I was traveling alone and spent two days in London before and after joining up with my tour group in Exeter. I have been to London several times and know how expensive it can be. I chose Hotel 43 due to proximity to Paddington Station (Heathrow Express) and the low cost. (GBP70) When I first checked in I was surprised at the miniscule size of the room, single twin bed and small bath. However, once I settled in all was fine. The bath was quite modern, if small and the bed surprisingly comfortable. English breakfast included hard boiled eggs, cheese and cold cuts served in a cramped, but adequate basement room. Other reviews have critcized the unfriendly staff. I think it is a language issue, as they were helpful but not chatty. I had the same room on my return trip a week later. WiFi worked well first two nights but not on return trip. Queensborough Terrace is a mixed residential street where several of the flats have been converted to small hotels. It is very close to the Bayswater tube stop and Hyde Park. There are numerous moderately priced ethnic restaurants nearby. It is much nicer than staying right by the train station. For a couple or family I would suggest the adjacent sister property Hotel 39, with larger rooms and kitchenette. I noticed most of the guests were from the continent, where small, budget accommodations are quite common. On a return trip I will look for other, nicer properties on Queensborough Terrace, but I will definitely choose this area given the location, value and convenience to public transportation. The night before my departure I asked the front desk for a taxi for a 6 am to Paddington Station. The driver was waiting for me, but it was an unmarked cab and he charged twice the fare (GBP12) that I had paid a regular cabbie on my arrival trip. No complaints as I could not have hailed a cab at that time, but I should have asked the fare in advance.

Room Tip: I had a third floor room with window. Some rooms are interior with no window and should be avoided.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank HoustonBrad
Rhodes Town, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Although it is centrally located, this hotel has many disadvantages. First, you can not communicate with the reception as the staff does not understand English (!!!) very well. Second, although our triple room became double after three days, we were charged as triple. And the staff still could not understand. Third, the plumbing of the building are the worse you can imagine. Every time you or any guest of the hotel visited the bathroom, a terrible noise started. We bought earplugs in order to sleep a couple of hours. So, choose something else if you want to be fresh and relaxed every morning. We did not have breakfast so I can't say anything about it. But the breakfast room was on the basement (underground).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

This was the 2nd time to this hotel as we really enjoyed the first time we did get a different room and the only complaint was the broken tiles on the bathroom floor they were a bit sharp the room was spot on and again the location is great the staff are lovely at breakfast and the girl on reception was ever so nice. probably try another hotel next time just to compare. Hotel43 could do with a lick of paint in the rooms but apart from that nothing to complain about

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

me and my girlfriend stayed at the hotel 43 in London the 28 May for one night and we paid 149 pounds for the accommodation and the breakfast.
Unfortunately we did not enjoy our stay and we were very disappointed at the end.
At our arrival they gave us a room in a different building (called 39) unfortunately this was not mentioned before, and the pictures shown on booking.com depicted the hotel 43 only so we were misled in our choice.
The room did not match our expectations:

-the furniture was poor
-the carpet was dirty
-there were hairs on sheets (very disgusting)
-there were two centimeters gap between the door and the carpet so during the night the light and noises from the corridor prevented us from having a good rest
-finally the breakfast was very bad, very poor both in quantity and quality, I was not able to finish my cappuccino.

I'll never come back in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels