“Good location but too small”
Review of MStay Hotel 43

MStay Hotel 43
Ranked #112 of 555 London B&B and Inns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 March 2012

On a positive note its a great location...However the service is horrific and extremely rude!!!! The bed is by far the worst bed ever. Please find another hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

North Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Let’s start off with the website, from the photos the rooms look quite nice, modern and new, but once you make it to your room it's a different story. The images are obviously old and clearly not the standard of the room I stayed in. The room was clean, but very small, marked walls, a tiny TV with poor to no reception stuck on the wall. The bathroom was tiny and the shower had very poor water pressure which you were just able to stand in and not turn around with massive cracked tiles on the bathroom floor. The beds were hard and very uncomfortable with a table in the room that you were only able to fit your wallet on with cups and mugs that had chips out of them.

The walls were thin and I could hear the people in the next room cough all night and the people above move around which lead to sleepless nights.

Little to no wifi connection and hot water was hit and miss also.

Upon checking out I was not able to leave my bags with them for 4 hours until I was picked up to go to the airport even though I had previously arranged this over the phone before leaving Sydney in person, to finally be told that is not their policy and I would never have been told I could to that. I explained that was the reason I had booked with them so I could leave my bags for a few hours, but this was not an option. Once they had my money they were not interested in helping me with any matter.

The receptionist was not pleasant in any way and would not even print my boarding pass for my flight after I had stayed there 3 nights. I questioned the room rates as I did not have wifi or hot water the entire stay, and the reply was "no discount and we charged you when you checked in the full amount" to which I had to request an invoice to confirm the amount I had been charged which alone was an effort in itself, along with the receptionist rolling her eyes at me and talking over me to the next couple checking in to ensure she gets their money.

This was with no doubt the worst place I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in MANY places. I would highly suggest you book elsewhere as this is not worth the drama, nor the lack of sleep you'll get from the thin walls, nor the smack in the face on the table next to the bed when you roll over as the room is so small the bed is flush against the table.

I would never stay here or recommend this hotel to anyone, unless they were after cheap and nasty. I am not one to complain, but this place I give a 2 out of 10 and was happy to see the back of. This “hotel” is overpriced and definitely not what you expect when you arrive. Think again before you book as there are many hotels in this street.

This place made my stay in London a nightmare when checking out and left with two heavy suitcases to drag around until the shuttle was booked to pick me up.

On a positive, the location was great, close the everything and even has a great local pub just around the corner.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed at Hotel 43 on Queensborough Terrace in Bayswater for three nights, and was impressed enough given the price & location, and ease of travel around London.

Queensborough Terrace has a gammut of hotels, maybe a dozen or so in the space of 150m. I picked Hotel 43 as the listing claimed that it as fully refurbished, and as my finances were not great (this was towards the final leg of my trip), I figured this was the best price/quality/location option.

I would stay at Hotel 43 again if I were in London, although I would probably price a few four-star options first to see if I can do a little better. However, Hotel 43 isn't trying to be a four-star - it is catering for budget travellers who want some quality where they stay. I thought it was a vast improvement over another hotel I stayed at a few months before in the Bayswater area.

The rooms are not massive, but they are comfortable for a solo traveller. I actually found them larger than the other place I stayed in on my previous stay in the Bayswater area. The rooms are very white and therefore lack a bit of colour, but they are modern, and the ensuite was newly modelled, although maybe a little cramped. I was out of my hotel except for early mornings and getting back late at night, so it wasn't terribly important to have much space at the time.

The wifi was steady as a rock, both in my room and in the lobby. The room also had a small LCD TV, which was pretty good. The staff are reasonably nice, but not noteworthy for extreme friendliness. I noticed that most of the staff were Eastern European, and maybe it was their manner from the home country to be more business-like than friendly. However, I didn't hold that against them, they were nice enough.

The breakfast buffet was included, and was ok if not a little unimaginative. I stuck mainly to cereals, although I was willing to even pay for a hot breakfast of scrambled egg & bacon if they made it. However, I nontheless had the breakfast buffet every morning since it was included.

The best thing is the location - there are three Underground stations within 5-10 minutes walk. Depending on what line you are taking, there is Queensway, Bayswater, and Lancaster Gate Stations all very close. I found I used the latter one more when heading into central London. Hotel 43 is also relatively close to Paddington Station, which is handy if you are using Heathrow. About £10 will get you from Paddington Station to Hotel 43, although I walked it via Craven Road & the small cul de sac that brings you onto Porchester/Queensborough Terrace. Without luggage, it is a 15 minute walk to Paddington Station, and with luggage I took about 20 minutes.

Reading some of the review, I am surprised that some people seem to want a massive room for less than £100 a night. I'm afraid that ain't gonna happen in London, and I would suggest these people spend £200+ a night, or stay outside of central London. However, for what Hotel 43 is, it is tremendous value, very clean, and well situated.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor. My window faced a brick wall, but otherwise was fine. It was summer, and a...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This is not a hotel, it is a hostel. The pictures on the website are nothing like the rooms in the real world. Furthermore the staff was rude. We had booked two rooms next to each other, because we were traveling as a family, but we were given rooms in two different buildings. The rooms were so bad, that we checked out again right away, and found another hotel down the street.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne A
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2011

This was the second time staying at Hotel 43. Both times it was very clean and the breakfast is good (toast, croissants, eggs, ham, cereal, cheese, etc). The staff are friendly and the location is great. The only reason I would not give this hotel a full rating is because of the lift. It was out of service for 2 days during our visit and we were on the fifth floor. Although tiring, this wasn't a major issue but it could be a major problem for anyone not able to climb a few flights of stairs. This also happened on my previous stay at this hotel so it seems it may happen regularly. A nice touch was the animal-shaped towels prepared by the housekeeping staff. Very cute.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple