“Takeaway afternoon tea for Buckingham Palace Gardens”

The Rubens at the Palace
Reserve a table
Thu, 10/21
20:00
Ranked #989 of 24,162 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Westminster
Description: With two spectacular restaurants, a beautiful lounge overlooking The Royal Mews, three bars and 24-hour room service, The Rubens at the Palace gives diners plenty of choice for every occasion.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We collected our tea in a cute little box & settled ourselves on our picnic rug in the grounds of Buckingham Palace. We were expecting a bit more food- one tray for 2 people and yet we had requested one normal and one vegetarian option. My dsughter (the vegetarian) only had 4 small finger sized sandwiches that she could eat as the rest had meat in and it meant I couldn’t try the cream cheese or egg sandwiches. We were suspicious that the cakes weren’t vegetarian as they were all filled with mousse and jelly. We had to share each cake as there weren’t two of any and cutting them with a disposable knife with no plate supplied was hard. They were very pretty cakes though & tasted nice. The scones were average. The drinks supplied were water and a weird cold bottle of tea that tasted like dish water. Still, we ate everything and enjoyed our time in the gardens.

Date of visit: September 2021
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Yvonne616,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I am sorry that you were let down by aspects of the take away tea. We have brought your notes to the attention of our Pastry Chefs, and I apologise if you were left to feel disappointed. Please be assured that we will take your notes onboard for our continued improvement. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, kindly reach out to us at the hotel directly.

Malcolm Hendry

Write a reviewReviews (642)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After waiting 3 months to visit I was very disappointed. The afternoon tea and food was just average, certainly not good value for money. The service was very poor, we were kept waiting for 15 minutes before we were greeted by anyone and taken to our table. We were then kept waiting again before anyone came over and explained the tea and took our orders. We booked the bottomless champagne and we had to ask for them to begin the bottomless as no one was serving us, they were slow on the bottomless and we had to request a top up a number of times. We also waited 45 minutes before receiving our sandwiches.
After the tea we wanted to have a drink in the New York bar however when we entered we were kept waiting at the bar again, no one greeted us or took us to a table, even though it wasn't busy and the bar stuff were just chatting amongst themselves. At one point a waiter pushed past us as if we were being an inconvenience so we decided to leave and not spend anymore money in the establishment, it wasn't a cheap visit and I feel we did not get the service that should be given with the prices they are charging.
I would like to point out the reception staff/door man was so warm and friendly and actually gave us the best service during the whole visit! (wish I noted his name)
Overall, a disappointing visit- would not recommend.

Date of visit: September 2021
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Q3274UNdanielak,

Thank you for your feedback. I was very sorry to hear of the long wait, and for you finding our tea service underwhelming. I will be taking your notes back to my team. If you wish to discuss your experience further, kindly reach out to me directly at the hotel so that I may address your experience in more detail.

Reviewed 10 September 2021 via mobile

Advertised as on the grounds of Buckingham Palace, it is not you can see a wall, do not go here thinking you will be on the grounds of Buckingham palace.

Not impressed with the quality and quantity of food.
We were told that the pastries are big so that they can be cut between two people? Seriously what type of cheap chef came up with the idea.
When we were served with the food the waiter who bought it over pointed at every sandwich and every pastry within a once inch distance basically almost touching them. I didn’t think there was any need for that neither did my friends.
Bread was not the freshest.
I have been to other Afternoon tea’s at more well known venues and paid more or less the same with better quality and more quantity.
None of the pastries were nice.

Sorry but a waste of time and a waste of money.

1  Thank saidat2014
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2021

Dear saidat2014,

Thank you for your review, however the Hotel is not on the grounds of Buckingham Palace. Our Royal Afternoon Tea at The Rubens at the Palace Hotel overlooks Buckingham Palace Mews. It not located within the Palace. Can I please clarify where you read this, as we are very transparent about our address and location all advertisements? If there is somewhere online which does say otherwise, I would appreciate the chance to see and correct this.

Reviewed 7 September 2021 via mobile

We finally made our Royal Afternoon tea at the Reubens which due to Covid has been delayed for 18 months.
It was definitely worth it
OK it's not cheap but really great value
The decoration, service and food are all top quality and with a lovely glass of champagne make you feel very special
Plus my wife confirmed that the gluten free is the best!!

Dear Skinsid,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great review on Trip Advisor following your recent Afternoon Tea at the Rubens at the Palace.

I’m really so pleased to know that you felt very well cared for. I have shared your review with my team this morning.

We hope very much to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Rubens at the Palace in the very near future.

Warm Regards,

Malcolm Hendry,

Reviewed 31 August 2021

Came here 3 times for afternoon tea, and each time the experience was different. Only the 1st experience was stellar with no fault at all. Maybe because it was during a very quiet weekday. The 2nd time , it was on a weekend and it was very busy and barely got checked on if everything was fine. Still, I enjoyed it. The 3rd time, which will be the last time l, I came with another adult. I was surprised we were supposed to share the plate of cakes. (We were paying full price each, so shouldn't we have our own tray of cakes?). I don't want to sound greedy, but I think we should be given what we paid for. When asked, we were told that we were supposed to share. ??? In that case shouldn't the price be reduced too? Anyways thanks for the wonderful memories. Just a little unfortunate that my last visit wasn't to my expectations.

(Picture attached was when I came with a child and not and adult. - got a full plate of cakes - the cakes are superb by the way)

Date of visit: August 2021
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2021

Dear HayriyeTel,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We really do appreciate your notes, and we will of course take these onboard. We do prepare the size of our pastries as intended to be shared between 2 people. This means that an Afternoon Tea ordered for 1 person will be very filling and generous as it will have the same amount of pastries included so our solo guests do not to miss out on all of our Chefs different pastry creations. I am sorry that this was found to be a little confusing and we will certainly look at how we can make this more clear.

We do appreciate your feedback, and choosing to dine with us on these occasions.