“Nice food, nice place and nice people.”
Review of Brasserie 43

Brasserie 43
Ranked #4,687 of 24,109 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$49 - US$77
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed six days in London with a typical standard: wake up early, get breakfast, walk the whole day exploring the city, get back to the hotel for a good meal and some resting. The Brasserie 43 made it very enjoyable. The breakfast is a nice self service with lots of options that you'll use very well for getting the energy for the day. At night, we enjoyed the restaurant with a nice menu in that we had opportunity to taste almost everything. Nice dishes, very good ingredients indeed. At last, but with special reference, we enjoyed how nicely people served us during these days: young folks with a genuine smile and really focused on giving you a nice experience, trying to exceed your expectations.

1  Thank Marcus A

Reviewed 16 June 2014

After enjoying a substantial breakfast at the hotel which had a good selection of foods to cover all tastes, from fresh fruit, yoghurts , variety of cereals, pastries and continental style dishes, to a full English breakfast, we decided to return to Brasserie 43 for our evening meal on our second night stay at Thistle, Euston.
We soon regretted this decision. Although the waiting staff were pleasant enough, the wait for the food was long and the end result unfortunately not worth the delay!
We ordered the mixed bread platter with garlic butter, balsamic vinegar and olive oil dips as a starter. The sourdough bread was very heavy, doughy and tasteless- a huge contrast from the delicious example we had had the previous night at Tom's Kitchen at Somerset House! The garlic butter tasted of cheap margarine, the olive oil of poor quality and the balsamic dip tasted more like malt vinegar.
The main course of pork with herby mash was so disgusting I couldn't eat it. The pork tasted and had the texture of frozen meat , it was tasteless, chewy and not cooked through in the middle. The accompanying sauce tasted like instant gravy and was thick and globulated and the baby carrots nondescript and displayed none of the normal sweetness and taste normally associated with the vegetable.
We also ordered a side of chunky chips which were frozen and unseasoned.
My daughter ordered a Margherita pizza which was also obviously frozen, with a disgusting 'tomato' topping that tasted very synthetic. Although costing over thirteen pounds, I am sure a similar one could be purchased at any frozen food retailer for a pound or so!
We didn't want to try a pudding after the experiences of the other courses so asked for the bill. When asked if everything was ok with the meal, I pointed out my feelings to the waitress who then sent the restaurant manager over and to give him his due, he did not charge me for my main course.
However what had been designed as a relaxing end to a busy day in London ended up as a huge disappointment to an otherwise excellent stay at the Thistle Euston.

2  Thank bianca4mee
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We went there as a couple based on friend's recommendation. The atmosphere is very relaxed and the food top quality. We were served by Zivile who was looking after our every need. What is really impressive is that the staff will remember your order without writing it down! A recommended place to eat out!

1  Thank FabAldine
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Brasserie 43 is part of the Thistle Hotel Euston. The décor is modern and minimalist, but the main plus point is that there is plenty of space between the tables. On the evening I dined there (a Wednesday), ten of the fourteen tables occupied had only a single diner, suggesting that this is very much a hotel for business people. The service was excellent - attentive without being overpowering, and very quick (less than an hour for my meal). The menu is rather strange - on the first page are "favourites" (typical UK "pub" food such as fish and chips, roast chicken, etc.) and burgers. Turn over the page and you find Asian, pasta, pizza and salads. At this point you are wondering what sort of restaurant this is! Only on the next page will you find Starters, Mains and Desserts. I had scallops with pancetta for starter and sea bass paella for main. Although both dishes were well prepared, I was disappointed that the delicate flavour of both the scallops and the sea bass were rather overpowered by the accompanying ingredients - my fault, I suppose, for choosing badly. A word of warning, though (especially for our American friends who are not use to such practices) - when I went to sign my bill (to be charged to my room account), there was a space for gratuities. As the service had been good, I added about 12.5%. When I got back to my room, I checked the menu (copy in the room) and found that, hidden in the small print at the end of the menu were the words "12.5% service charge will be added to the bill." This meant that I had tipped a total of 25%. So don't get caught out by this. (A word to our American friends - it is normal in continental Europe for a service charge to be added to (or included in) restaurant bills and locals do not usually add an additional tip - they only round up to the nearest euro or five euros. This is less common in the UK, but does happen (as here). Be aware to the danger of over-tipping.)

4  Thank Ceiniog
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The selection, quality of food and service was top notch. Great quality reataurant and great room service menu. A night relaxing lounge bar attached to the restaurant great place to unwind after an adventurous day.

1  Thank Ewan H