“I would rather stick pins in my eyes...”
Review of Terrace Restaurant

Terrace Restaurant
Ranked #6,797 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$19 - US$38
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Description: Modern, eclectic and featuring indoor and outdoor dining spaces with views over the river Thames and the south bank, the Terrace Restaurant at the National Theatre offers a delicious, Mediterranean-influenced menu, with a focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients. Choose a selection of small plates, such as Bavette served with barba di frate and roasted pepper sauce, our spiced quinoa salad with spinach and cime di rapa or the popular black gnocchi with squid, cherry tomato and basil pesto. Our menu includes a variety of vegetarian dishes and vegan options. Our specially selected wine list has a distinctly European edge, as well as a representative variety of great growers from around the world. Or why not try a cocktail for our seasonally-evolving list such as Pear & Ginger Martini, Grapefruit & Plum Collins or Sloe Gin Negroni.
london
“I would rather stick pins in my eyes...”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

...so said my dinner companion when I suggested he try another bite of the 'squid stuffed with chorizo'. Visualise two condom balloons stuffed with a pale orange toothpaste like substance sitting in a little pool of bright orange oil and an artfully smeared dollop of bright green goo. One bite and the awful taste lingered in my mouth, throughout the 3 and 1/2 hour long production do King Lear and the hour long drive home.
We arrived at the restaurant and the experience started well with an offer of tap water. I think that's the most positive thing I can say about the place. As we were shown to a small table hidden behind a pillar, I noticed that most of the tables around us had pieces of card or napkins shoved underneath table legs to keep them fro wobbling. Not a great sign in a restaurant which was happy to charge a small ransom for 3 deep fried prawns.
The food was bland overall, including the ox cheeks (think bad school dinner). Portions were small - the £12 meat platter had two pieces of bread and a small amount of meat more but the pickled onion tasted good. Courgettes were greasy, steak tartare was overly sweet (and yet bland). Other than the horrible squid, presentation was ok.
Service was slow. Yes, the restaurant got busy but it is in a theatre venue so staff should expect this. They excelled at avoiding eye contact and we waited for ages to have the table cleared and to order coffees. These arrived after another 25 minute wait and when I finally had the privilege of paying the £80 bill including the 12.5% discretionary service charge, I was annoyed. The girl asked us how our meal was as she was tearing off my copy of the receipt. My response of 'not very good' was met with a shrug.
Avoid this place. Much more choice around the corner and you are more likely to keep eyes safe from pins.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank tda7

London, United Kingdom
“Tasty Little Dishes, Bit Expensive”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Nice menu of well presented, very tasty, small dishes. Very friendly, efficient service - a bit too efficient when we were asked if we had finished, half way through our meal!! Good views and nice to sit out on the terrace in summer. Was a little surprised at the size of the bill in relation to what we ate. Overall, a good option for pre-theatre dining but I think some other nearby venues offer better value.

1 Thank vanessa345
London, England, United Kingdom
“What a pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Terrific small-plates menu with loads of variety, good value food and drinks, and easy to make reservations! What a great addition to the Southbank Centre stretch. I will be back, especially if attending a performance at the National Theatre.

• Visited January 2014
London
“Troubled Terrace”
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

This is a difficult restaurant to review. The food was absolutely delicious but the portions are tiny. The chef suggests three dishes per person. I went in a group of six. We ordered bread, olive tapenade and almonds and then nineteen plates. This was just about enough and we all ordered desserts and cheese. Without any alcoholic drinks this came to £45.00 per person. I think you can easily go and have a better meal elsewhere for that. I was going to book to go with my husband, but for two people it would come to a fortune as six dishes would not be enough. The service was awful as it was impossible to get hold of a waitress. There was no atmosphere. It is a bit like a canteen. It costs the same to eat at the Mezzanine at The National but there is no comparison. I found this very disappointing and won't be going back.

1 Thank LondonToots
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good but not not top”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Visited with friends but had to ask quite a few times for service. The food was good but they need to sharp up a bit..

Visited August 2013