“Decent diner-style food”

All Star Lanes - Bayswater
Ranked #2,232 of 22,374 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
London, United Kingdom
“Decent diner-style food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I recently went here with a group of work colleagues for the Eat-Drink-Bowl for £29 each deal. This consisted of one game of bowling, 2 courses and a cocktail each. As this is a restaurant review I will focus on the food, the atmosphere and what I consider to be the cost of the food. I will assume the game of bowling to be £5 and the cocktail to be £8, making the two courses cost £16 in total.

For my starter I had the popcorn squid with aioli - this was a really unusual and fun dish. Served in an American-style Chinese takeaway box like you see in the movies, it also included chopsticks, the lightly fried squid rings and a small pot of aioli. (see my attached photo) The squid was very light and not chewy which was good, I enjoyed every mouthful. The aioli was not as garlicky as I like it but was creamy and tasty nonetheless.

When the mains came round I was a little disappointed. I had the "southern fried chicken basket" which was basically 4 or 5 mini fillets like you get in KFC. Better quality I must say, but the portion size was paltry compared to the handsome burgers I saw my colleagues tucking into. It did come with a choice of sides however and I opted for the onion rings. These were served in a small bucket with rock salt sprinkled on top. They were nice but quite battery, greasy and chewy.

I had a Moscow Mule with my meal which was very light and refreshing - would recommend.

Overall, tasty diner-style food but I would opt for a different main next time. Also, the meal was a little pricey for what we got. All served with a smile though; our American waiter was very friendly and helpful.

• Visited January 2014

• Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Not bad!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Went on a recent work night out to take advantage of their bowl and dine £29 offer which included cocktail. The venue is really nice, a bit different to your usual bowling venue and we were quickly served by the friendly staff.

There was an interesting and different selection of cocktails and other drinks and the starters were all excellent.

I ordered the hot dog and rosemary salt fries and apart from the hot dog being a little on the cold side it was really tasty. Some others in the party ordered the basket of chicken and considering the large and delicious portions of the other mains (hot dog, burger, pork and beans etc) the size of this main was laughable. 4 little strips of fried chicken in a big basket. The food is tasty but I would certainly avoid the chicken (you get more chicken on the chicken wings starter!).

Desserts were good and the bowling was great fun so overall I would highly recommend it for a good night out.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Bowling and Burgers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

This was something a bit out of the ordinary. The bowling was brilliant and made a nice change for something to do. We went in a group so got a variety of food. The burgers were great but the chicken not so much. Though the food and drinks were nice there were a bit overpriced. They also fall into the category one of those restaurants that automatically add a service charged onto the bill. While our attendant for the bowling was fantastic and friendly our waiter couldn't bring himself to crack a smile. It was interesting night out but overprice for what it was.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Kayleigh M
York, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

A real novelty place to eat. We stumbled across it by chance and tastecard recommendations. One of the most fun, different places to Dine. Love the menu, amazing ribs and awesome desert. Excellent home made BBQ sauce! Private booth but in a lively exciting atmosphere. Good service.

• Visited July 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great Bowling and Drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is one of the best All Star Lanes I have been too. The Bar area is spacious and allows a group of 12 to all sit together. Bowling Lanes were fun and again spacious so didn't feel like you were on top of another group while bowling. The only issue was a cocktail order that took 20 mins in a relatively empty bar and the one card machine when we went to pay for our games but still had a great time.

• Visited June 2013