“Mediocre food, very poor service”
Review of Feast on the Hill

Feast on the Hill
Ranked #10,576 of 22,692 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$19 - US$38
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
London
“Mediocre food, very poor service”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

As many reviewers have observed, this place looks really nice. It has tables both indoors and outside, and a reasonable range of food. I went there for lunch with my young daughter. I ordered an English breakfast, she Spaghetti Bolognaise. The bacon in my plate was dark and rock hard. I literally could not cut through it with the knife. It took me a while to alert the waitress, but eventually she arrived and reluctantly said she'd bring two fresh rashers. This took a good 10 minutes, by which time I had pretty much eaten the rest, my tea had gone cold and I had lost interest in the bacon - you get the picture. What is worse, my daughter's mincemeat came in two big clumps. When she refused to eat it, I called the waitress and pointed out the issue to her. Her response: "Nobody else has complained!" I asked for the bill and saw that no discount had been applied, although my daughter had hardly touched her food. I had to insist that they issued a new bill without her spaghetti dish. Throughout, I was made to feel like an awkward b... rather than a disgruntled customer who had good reason to be disappointed. I will never set foot in that place again.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank mednad

London, United Kingdom
“The perfect local cafe!”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I have been frequenting this cafe with my family for quite a while now as I believe that your local & independent cafe/deli has to be supported or else our towns and villages will be ruined by the coffee shop chains (Costa, Coffee Republic, Starbucks etc).
Thankfully Muswell Hill has several of these independent cafes but I feel that Feast ticks all of my boxes. The service is relaxed and friendly - the same waitresses have been there for several years. This has to be a good sign. The food is delicious - my daughter and son think their fries are the best in London and I have to agree (some of London's "top" restaurants should take note).

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank KB6666
UK
“Brunch at Feast on the Hill”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We visited here for Sunday Brunch with 5 adults and a toddler. This is a fabulous restaurant/cafe which seems more personal than the many chain eating houses around. The staff are attentive and welcoming. There is a 'buzz' about the place with couples, individuals and families occupying what seems like the family kitchen tables. It has this personal , homely touch that I have seen in places like Canada and Australia. Most important was the gorgeous food, eggs benedict (£8.45) went down well, the full English (£7.95) - a monster of a breakfast and well, the omelette (£7.15) to beat all omelettes. fabulous food, great atmosphere and a great find in Muswell Hill.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Steve1724
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

It's one of the nice cafes in Muswell Hill, with a few tables outside on the pavement, a beautiful display in the window, an attractive lunch deal (except that you are told it's not valid on the weekend even though it is advertised outside on a Saturday afternoon). Once you're in, it begins to become very confusing. There is a big wooden table at the back and lots of products for sale on display (cholocates, drinks, biscuits...). You wonder if this is a shop where you just buy to take away and if the table is just there for decoration. The staff ignores you and you soon realise that you have to put your jacket on the bench to kind of keep your seat while ordering at the counter. From the counter, it is impossible to see the display of food because it is facing the street so, unless you have already noticed from outside what you wanted, you will have to take whatever you manage to see. You are also told that there is no menu. That makes it a bit akward because you also wonder how much things are, since there is no visible price on the quiches, salades etc. So, you come back to the table, hoping to find your jacket, if someone has not pushed it aside to sit where you were hoping to sit. The plate arrives: the salad portions are not very big but OK. When we finished, we went to pay at the counter. The staff was quite numerous (about 5 on Saturday lunch time) but they all seemed busy weighting stuff, looking around, filling shelves... We just wanted to pay and leave this weird place, not at all welcoming and go somewhere else for a dessert because really, it is a pity to have such a nice place if you are not able to give a smile. By the way, the food was good and the price was correct. About £15 for 2 small quiches and 2 small salads. The experience is just confusing and the staff not friendly. It's a pity,

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank The_au_Caramel
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely lovely little local restaurant”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had dinner here and it was an absolute treat. The food was lovely, the service could not be bettered and it was just such a nice experience. Contrary to what another reviewer has said, they do take credit cards. It was also very reasonable indeed, where in London these days do you pay £13 for a steak? And a lovely one at that. I was particularly impressed by the two nice waitresses.

Here is one rather unusual way I often judge a restaurant's service: my husband is a little eccentric and drinks ice in his red wine. So when we order a bottle of wine he always asks for a large glass of ice to be brought with it. I know it is a little unusual but it is not up to serving staff to judge people's preferences! However, he gets mostly very negative responses to this request. Most often it is simply ignored and the ice has to be asked for again (often several times). Sometimes it never comes, despite repeated requests, as if the staff is saying that the request is too odd to be taken seriously. Or a grudging single block of ice is produced. Or a sarcastic or suprised comment is passed. (and generally the smarter and more expensive the restaurant, the less likely they are to bring the ice on time and without fuss!). Well, at Feast, a nice full glass of ice arrived, together with the wine, within a minute of being ordered. No comment, just a smile. It put my husband in a very good mood.

We had a wonderful dinner!

• Visited February 2012