“The worst meal that I have ever had.”
Review of Gold Mine

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 21 August 2019

Various good reviews suggested that Gold Mine was one of the best Chinese restaurants in London. Don't be fooled - it's over-priced, lacks ambiance, and the food is disgusting.

The starter of salt and chilli spare ribs was almost inedible. Oily, barely any meat on the bone, and devoid of any flavour.

Onto the main course - the highly recommended roast duck. Fatty, swimming in grease, and with the Gold Mine's now apparent trademark lack of flavour. The steamed rice was the only edible part of the meal.

How much was I charged for this travesty? Including a small beer it was an eye-watering £35. Don't waste your money - you're better off buying a ready-meal Chinese from Sainsbury's just down the road.

3  Thank ChrisT1962
Write a reviewReviews (829)

Reviewed 21 August 2019 via mobile

The service is very attentive & the food excellent. We got our meal on no time at all. If there is music it was not intrusive. Everything we ordered was superb & the price not exorbitant. This is the best Chinese meal in town, in my view.

1  Thank carlasidw
Reviewed 18 August 2019

I went to this restaurant during my stay in London. It was a very good restaurant with traditional Chinese food and the price was reasonable. The roasted food like ducks, char siu, crispy porks were excellent. Of course it cannot match some of those in HK like in shum cheng but it was the next alternative outside. However, it has to been god because next door a few shops away there are others and also in China Town Gerard St. I do strongly recommend it to everyobe who is in the area, but be aware that they may be a queue sometimes if you go in the rush hours.

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank washing997
Reviewed 10 August 2019

Food is authentic and a lot of variety. Chilli oil is delicious too, spicy. Dim sum delicious too. However it's expensive. Many tourists and usually crowded.

Reviewed 10 August 2019 via mobile

Great food but get the bill it was in Chinese and English with no prices or tip was included. Just one total price for the food! Paying with card I was asked by staff if I would like add tip? Like a mug I did ! I worked out the bill when I got home Tip was included! So I paid twice! Be Warned ! Doggie Staff !

5  Thank 984ajayg